Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 20:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pulling My Hair Out
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 22:29 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Tommy, I am married to a licensed Social Worker and she'd say you weren't angry about the test nor the trap nor the missed coon, but rather "things in your life", "incidents", maybe things that you don't even recall.... :lol: .....at least that is what she does to me when I "VENT"! Now, CALM DOWN, get another bucket and like moonsal said "leave the axe at home" and remember the Coni setter. Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL setting those 220s if you are alone.....I have been lucky enough to release my self several times, but it was never "fun". No kidding, BE EXTRA CAREFUL USING THE CONIs WHILE BY YOURSELF!

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 14:37 
Trapper
Trapper

I will do.. And oh btw they arnt 220's I just say "220 Bucket SET" as a universal term.. They are actually 160's.. Where I live we cant have 220's or bigger on dry land. :x

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 20:47 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Tommy Rives wrote:
I will do.. And oh btw they arnt 220's I just say "220 Bucket SET" as a universal term.. They are actually 160's.. Where I live we cant have 220's or bigger on dry land. :x

:shock: :? In these parts the generic term is "bucket sets". :lol: Good luck!

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 21:44 
Trapper
Trapper

K.. wasnt surprised I didnt catch anything last night because i was very cold. Anyways that sticks that my bait was on in the back of the bucket was moved, and there were some mice droppings... darn mice..

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 21:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep them mice can be a real pain. I've had to wire the bait up off the bottom before to keep them vermin from eating all my bait till the coon showed up!

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 08:21 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Tommy, I use a "hook" made out of wire that goes through the top part of the bucket twice, and then the twisted part is down in the bucket where the excess is bent to form the hook. This is where I impale a chunk of carp, keeping it off of the ground. You can also hang a piece of pantyhose with the bait in it if it isn't something that can be hooked up. :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 09:54 
Hey tommy??? Caught anything yet? I can totally feel your pain, this is my first season of actually having a line and it is slow going! I caught a coon last year on one of my dirt hole sets! Here in Maryland we are not even allowed to use bucket sets unless it is in a wetland or partially submerged under water??? So I am stuck with the dirt hole, cubbys, snares, or anything besides conis. I am trapping some semi rural farm country. If I can keep the house cats and the rabbits out of my traps I might catch some fur? Heck I think I might even be happy to catch a possum or skunk, and I might regret saying that in a couple weeks!

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 10:12 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Okay guys it's time for 2 cents worth of knowledge from an old dude that started just as anyone else. I never caught much as a beginner either and felt much the same as I'm hearing here. However my buddies quit and I didn't so now I have the experience they wished they had. Any time spent outdoors learning will stand you in good stead down the road in whatever endeavor you take on. The learning by mistake and success approach can be hard and cruel but worth every tear and smile.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 12:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Just remember Tommy, good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement. Like TT said, the most valuable lessons are the ones you learn for yourself, the hard way. Hang in there, don't give up. Pretty soon you're gonna be complaining about all the skinning you have to do. :D

When asking, "What would Jesus do?", it's OK to throw a fit and toss tables and chairs around. John 2:15
If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you have fed him for a lifetime.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 15:22 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Good luck Tommy hit the new land hard!! Your work is sure to pay off one of these days..Maybe try to refrain from carrying your axe or other potential weapons from now on while checking sets. Man I can't imagine what you'd do if you caught Johnny Sneakum making off with your traps!

I don't have several years of trapping behind me like some of these guys do, but do I believe that things naturally come together after much time spent in the woods and trying different set/techniques/bait etc. I started trapping just a few years ago. Nobody really got me into it nor showed me how it's done. I just caught interest in it some how and started from scratch. I started with four 1-1/2 footholds, that I caught 0 coons with that season. My only catch was a huge boar coon that I managed to get in a livetrap underneath a den tree (one in the picture to the left) . But that catch alone was enough to make me want to increase my success next year. That offseason I joined as a member on here and did lots of reading and research. My next season I managed to catch 9 coons plus a fox, along with several grinners. Last year I believe I pulled off just about a dozen coons, another fox, and a couple stinkers (plus grinners). This year unfortunately I haven't been able to trap nearly as much due to work, school, moving, etc. Although I had a couple catches with a two set, 10 minute line using footholds. It was actually my first time with success using footholds! yeehaw! Anyway I guess my moral to this rambling is that things get better with the more time spent in the woods, along with time studying, trying new things, and listening to advice from fellas on here. My overall success has increased over the past few seasons and as time goes on. But don't get me wrong I've definately had my ups and downs, probably more downs than ups. I've also gone through some major dry spells. Just hang in there! Just my two pennys. Good luck

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 16:33 
Trapper
Trapper

Wow thanks for all these great replies guys... It really means alot to me how much you guys care... And incase some of you are wondering .. This is what I caught 2 years ago in RI , not where i live now.. They were all released.

Well when I started trapping it wasnt for fur it was just for fun, so I used a live trap. I caught 3 coons 1 porcupine and 2 possums...
That was when I was very young but thats what got me into actual trapping 1 year later... So my first season of actual trapping I caught 1 coon literally right in my back yard with a pocket set . I used a 1 1/2 coilspring nailed of to a big firewood log.. The bait was a hostess ding dong.. It was raining that night.. SInce then I have caught NOTHING.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 17:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Tommy
Do you know of any other trappers near by?? Do you have a trapping supply store near by?? If there was just someone near your area that could give you a little help, I know you would be on your way to catching fur.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 18:14 
Trapper
Trapper

No, unfortunatley I have no kind of help other than you guys..

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 18:40 
well dont sound so disapointed that all you have is us, lol. But how is that new stretch of property treating you?

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 08:30 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

:lol: Give us a shot Tommy! Get some pics to look at of the terrain, say stream bottoms where there is sign. Trapping in the timber is a little different than back yard trapping. If nothing else it is a lesson in humility, also an important virtue. :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 09:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Just stay with it,you will figure it out.My first year I caught one coon,then by finding web sites like this and joining my state trapping organization and national organizations I got better slowly. Im not saying im a great trapper but I catch my fair share and am constantly learning and asking questions.

Beaver-
Fox-
Yote-