Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 22:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trapping weasels
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 07:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

any good tips on catching weasels in the wild . I see sign but seems to be no ryme or reason for the tracks. I have lots of questions just no time to write any tips would be good . I have trapped mostly rats and beaver most of my life .I have mostly set blind sets for most every thing this is the first year that ihave used a pocket set that I made and dirt hole which did not produce yet. so I am just asking for some tips . thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 09:23 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

New guy here with my 2 cents. I've had luck the past few years with a simple weasel box. 16" long x 6" x6" square with 2 1/2" holes on each end. The top board or lid should overhang a couple of inches on each end.Fill the bottom of the box with a couple inches of very dry rotten wood. I fence staple 2 1 1/2 longsprings to the bottom board and set traps at each end of box. Bait with bloody bait like chicken livers.

I've had best luck around brush piles in or near ditches. I'm also experimenting with a milk jug and wooden rat/snap trap this year.....something I saw in FFG.

1 weasel
several grinners

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 10:19 
My weasel boxes are a little bit longer, and I've taken machine cloth and made a small compartment in the back. That compartment holds live mice, and/or soiled mouse bedding that I get from the petstores in town ehen they do their weekly bedding changes. It's really quite rank, but the weasels, AND FOX! really respond to it. When I set the box with the soiled mouse bedding, I also set a couple of footholds out from it as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 19:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

so what your saying lilbit that my daughter gets to have mice for pets ? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 21:34 
Trapper
Trapper

would there be alot of weasels if you got alot of mink, cause we got ALOT of mink around where i live and i figured that mink would eat weasels or something related to that. and dont you only get like 1 or 2 dollars out of a weasel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 22:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have seen atleast sign of 4 mink and caught one already but have seen atleast sign of 20 weasels in the same area . im guessing that if a mink catches a weasel he will eat it but that is not the primary food . mink like crayfish,frogs,muskrats,im sure they will eat birds and fish what ever they catch or find. they ate a muskrat of mine I caught it so it was mine. so I caught the mink. he must be worth a muskrat and a mink now right. this is in the area I am trapping right now. I had one run across my boat earlier in the season. jumped off a log into the water on to a log and climbed into my boat and scampered across the back and jumped into the water.

Last edited by wcollinge2000 on 23 Jan 2007, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 22:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

not sure about what you get I thought some one or I read somthing that said 8 . Does any one know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 22:23 
Fur prices on weasel depend on so many factors. I'd say 2-8. If they're yellowing, or southerns, they're lower end to crap. If their white, northwestern and canada, they're good.

And yes, your daughter should have a mouse as a pet. They make great pets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 00:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

well built three and there 17 inches long don't now how wide as it was scrap and I only measured the length there gems but fit well almost square might be 5 inches wide and tall . just have to drill hole in them I did see one on another site that had a screen on the back hole and one trap in it rat trap but it had a big yellow pan I did not find any like that has like the cheese holder you know the type think that will work I can spot somthing larger on them if so . think I am going to do the screen thing must be for smell seems he did good first day 18 traps 5 weasels thats almost 1 in three so I may get one in two days think. with all the sign I would love to get one or more im gonna keep them unless I hammer them then I will sell sell sell. they should be pure white here .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 01:06 
Trapper
Trapper

well i built one today. it is 24 inches long and 12X12. i have a 2 1/4 hole 7 inches high on one side on the other i have a 2 1/4 hole 4 inches high. i have a 110 coni on the low side and a 1.65 bridger 4 spring off set on the high side. i secured the bridger to the bottom but i had a problem secureing the coni. this is my 1st attemp with a conibear.
how do i secure it in place so it won't move but still be able to fire?

anyway i baited it with a little LDC since it is cold as !@#$ here, i also scattered a little hay and straw on the floor and have a big ol chunk of discount beef heart dangleing from the lid. i dripped blood around in a little trail to the box. i also scattered a few feathers from the chikens that have been killed around and inside the box. i drilled several 3/4 holes around the sides of the box to let the aroma out.

any other tips or tricks?

also in a farm enviroment would it be better on the ground or elevated?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 07:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

how about this for an Idea , cut a slot in the side for the spring to rest in , and drill out the rivet on the opposite side of the spring and put a longer bolt in it . drill a hole on the opposite side of the slot in the box your conibear will fire aslong as you do this so that all the spacing is correct for the jaws to swing freely set to tripped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 11:29 
John drills a hole inthe bottom of his boxes to pull the chains of the traps through so he can secure them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 11:52 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Lil Bit wrote:
John drills a hole inthe bottom of his boxes to pull the chains of the traps through so he can secure them.

Good tip. That's better than securing the trap to the inside of the box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2007, 06:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

here is a good tip the boxes look great that I made, I mean they look like there gonna really work but the trap is to big.Tip: measure your trap before building the box. I feel foolish but guess im smarter today for it. one will work out of three so its out with some beef liver. will see if it works. I put it near an old beaver lodge that seems to have alot of sign by. lots of coyote ,fox and I did see one set of wolf tracks in the area hope the box doesn't attract them to it . seems that all the tracks for the canine avoid mine I must be leaving lots of scent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2007, 23:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

this is not fun every thing seems to go past my sets Im going to have to use bait . as for the weasel trap empty I made one more work and redesined 2 new ones there looking like the weasels are going to stand in line to get in. im thinking that won't be the case but there much better than the first so I have more out maybe I will connect on one I have them spaced out far enough . I have two more to make that will be 6 out tomorrow I will make some baited mink sets . looking to atleast get one more I hope may use some gland lure I made will try the minnow trick see if that works. hope its warm enough for a couple of days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2007, 12:01 
Trapper
Trapper

I catch many weasels in my marten sets, I use muskrat and beaver for bait, can't keep 'em out of those sets. Also they will work over a beaver carcass set for bobcat. I swear one weasel can eat a whole beaver per week.

I use Laugman's Sable Oil for lure in my marten sets, and Pacific Call for cat lure.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2007, 17:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ImageI used beef liver for the weasel and mink was caught in a 110 guess you could call it a bottem set middle of the creek as its only 24"s wide . it was the first time I have ever caught a weasel and first time I have ever tried this was the second day. I only had out 4 boxes now I have 6 see what happens tomorrow I may make more boxes tonight I am trying all sorts of sizes and now have a #1 jump in one see how that works. trips very easy a mouse will set it off for sure . i am having so much fun trying new things wow are they ever small I have seen larger ones caught on this site this is a male and i think it is young its not close to some I have seen the mink is the smallest I have caught this season.It to is a male

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2007, 00:56 
Trapper
Trapper

awsome catch

i'm still waitin for my weasel to come back

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2007, 23:41 
Trapper
Trapper

well my weasel wasn't a weasel. it was a mink. it wanted inside but the holw was to small(i think)

dad got him with a 12ga this morning..not much fur left :cry:

so i have 2 boxes just sittin around now where are good places to set it up for weasel.
i'm thinkin by water and rock piles. it this about right?
if so will a river/stream with large boulders and rocks on the banks work?

thanks

also what is the difference between a weasle box and a mink box?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007, 11:40 
Trapper
Trapper

can someone post a mink box for me? thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007, 14:08 
Trapper
Trapper

sorry i mean a pic of a mink box i am going to make some and need a good reference

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 23:51 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Easy way to catch a weasel is to put some fresh meat on trigger of a 110 120 160 conibear. Works really good.
Last years NAFA february sale weasels averaged 10.11 and top price 22.00.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007, 00:07 
Trapper
Trapper

mink boxes work ok, but a good old hand dug dirt bank hole is better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007, 00:11 
Trapper
Trapper

In a bank hole set, what would you use for bait?