Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 13:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feelin' young again !!!
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 22:26 
Trapper
Trapper

Back on the trapline again after more than 30 years, and lovin' it more every day. Caught my first flat-tail ever 2 weeks ago (28#) in a #3 Bridger using a self-made castor mound set. We have until Jan. 31 for most critters here in Indiana and until Mar. 15 for Flat-Tails and Wiley. 3 'rats, 3 'coons, 4 grinners, 1 beaver. Gettin' $ 7.75 for skinned and stretched lg. 'rats. Missed Wiley by a short and curly last week-end and his buddy made tracks all around my close by flat set.

grinnergitter54

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 22:33 
Awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 09:03 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Gotta love it. Trapping gets in your blood and never really leaves. Congrats on the Beav. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 14:34 
Trapper
Trapper

my grandpa golfs all spring and summer, cuts wood in the fall and some in the winter... As soon as this time of year rolls around he gets a little giddy and he goes and traps as many beaver as he can.. He loves it. It brings out the youth in him. I really love seeing him that way and it is always good to see the old man that way.

Glad you are getting back into it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 17:14 
Trapper
Trapper

wish my grandpa is like that, ive never seen a man so cheap in my life like him, even things that are on sale or clearanced for dirt cheep....."HOLY MACRO, YOU GONNA SPEND ALL THAT MONEY!!!..." hate to say it but i think hes still living in the 30s where candy bars were a penny and so on, and hes real irresponsible, we got a check once from the MAC office(Michigan Agricultrial Commodies). well he just threw it on the floor with the other thousand papers. sure enough the next week goin down the road it flew out. my dad knew he did it and asked him if he put it in the glove box...lol i thought this was funny what old gramps said...(what?, i gave it to you......).yup so thats his trick, lose something and blame it on someone else...but we told the MAC office about what happend so they canceled the lost check and got another one....cant remeber the rest on what they did but thats pretty much it.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2007, 14:13 
Trapper
Trapper

Sorry for not responding sooner, but the congrats from Keith and Lil Bit on catching my first flat tail were much appreciated. My Dad passed away this past spring :cry: ( May 13 ), and my Grandfather has been gone since 1989 but I know they were all smiles when I connected. :D It was only the 2nd night I had that paticular set in place and was the last set I checked that morning. I had a 1 1/2 long spring set for 'rats about 25 yds from the Beav set and one of Mr. Beavs' buddies got into that somehow and needless to say, bye-bye trap :x I live in NW Indiana ( Porter Co. ) but do a lot of my trapping in Kosciusko Co. on family property. Have'nt had any luck since the flat-tail but have until Jan. 31 to stay after it. After that we have until Mar. 15 for Beaver and Coyote. I'm going to pick up a couple more Bridger #3's tomorrow and set 3 of those for another crack a flat tails and make a few more 'rat sets until the 31st. Thanks again and look forward to seeing some of you at the NTA National Convention here in Indiana this year.

Hunt, Fish, and Trap Forever !!!
Steve Holt (grinnergitter54)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2007, 07:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

lesson learned it might be funny or agravating but its a memory thatll stay with till the end even if it isnt good at the time .i used to go drink coffe with a couple older friends every weekend just to hear the memories well something happened that i quit going last year but i got a call this year around hunting season telling me the one passed away it really was heart breaking . i think of all his stories or info i missed out on by not going there till the end