Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 19:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: measuring fur
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 14:14 
Trapper
Trapper

Ok, i understand thefur is graded partly by size, example, a rat over 17" is XXXL.
What i don't know, is where do you measure from? The eyes to the flat fur on side of the penninsula where you but the teeth of the stretcher in for lack of better description?
I would love to know, also is it different for mink, or are they all measured from the same place?
Thanks

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 17:54 
Trapper
Trapper

not sure about rats, but marten are from the nose to the base of the tail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 18:06 
Trapper
Trapper

Mine are measured from the nose straight back to where the edge of the fur where at the sides. Not to the tip of the tail. I am not sure about mink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 23:21 
I was always told that you measure from the nose to the base of the tail.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 16:12 
Trapper
Trapper

i was think that it was behind the ears to the base of tail

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 16:17 
Trapper
Trapper

i've been doing a lot of research and most state associations say from the tip of the nose to the highest point at the base of the tail. Thanks for your respnses, and correct me if im wrong!
Do you all size your pelts before sale so you know if they are larges befor the buyer tells you what he thinks they are?

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 19:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

well kind of on muskrats I try to keep all the biggest ones seperate and sell them later . I seem to get a better price for the ones that are not that big . some buyers try to just go by what you bring in and do the grading that way its a good way to rip you off so I have done this for some time . some buyers are honest and go by real time measurements . I just have been doing this as I have sold to buyers that will do that. beaver you kind of know what you have if you measure some and put them by size . unless you have hundreds of them. I have never caught more than 40 in a season that is the most I have gotten in one year. and as for mink ect I have only caught a few every year. so I could not tell you . coon seems like one time I was shorted but did get real good sell on about 16 of them this year that really brought the average up .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 21:04 
Trapper
Trapper

C2000, what do you do for a day job that lets you trap so much? I have had very good percentages on my rat traps out/take, but i am about half of your #. I started in december, and am running 2 dozen conni's and a foothold or two when they fit (im iced up now). just curious, and nice #'s, i like to know the rats are takin a whoopin around the U.S. (they chewed the wires to 2 of my fountains on my ponds).

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 21:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

electrician at an adm plant. I ran about 18 110's and for a week used 3 colonies that only netted me about 16 rats. 9 330's and two snares for beaver. I have trapped rats for years. coon for just a couple and I have lots of traps for them now. started late and some one was trapping early like two to three weeks early so alot of the 18 220 sets went empty lots of the time. I did get another dozen 160's and used them little still have 6 with the sticker on them. and bought 2 doz #2 coil. got almost half of the 30 coon but that was in dec. I didn't catch many rats in dec or jan couple doz was hoping for more but the rats wern't there like I thought. im kind of trying for mink but this is the first year I really ever tried and only caught 1 in a set I set for mink.possum sure are thick. can't figure how not to catch them. I am running about 6 110 9 #1 and I saw were a cat has been stalking so I set that . its 2 miles from any house so its fair game . I set mostly blind sets for every thing. First day setting a rat house I was double setting a run and just putting the second trap in and the first one went off. I got 7 in those two traps before I even left the pond 9 in two days . I pulled them . couldn't get many traps set always going back as I could hear the trap snap .might have set 8 rat traps that day and two beaver. today I was thinking that I should move to catch more rats but I want to try some weasels lots of sign all over must be 20 of them in a mile streach praubably won't get even one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 21:55 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I started rats earlier got most in november say 200 of them and 3 mink tanned one. stayed persistant with the beaver in a place that was hard to trap , lots of current and kind of deep mostly didn't get out of the boat. for rats I walked to get them.Im walking again. no waders as its all well almost all ice found out the water is cold today there is about 7-10 of ice except for near a spring there the ice is thin and the water cold.I might get a rat tomorrow I set one again today. I just enjoy being outside I go till dark then get out sometimes I just dilly dally out there and enjoy all that nature has for me to see. I do have a couple of #2 out for what ever steps in them if they ever decide to and a snare that was knocked down by a fox . hope he hits the hole soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 18:22 
Trapper
Trapper

That's awesome, i have never seen one of my traps fire, but i thought i did hear one fire once. Those connies are the way to go in my opinion for rats, ever since we iced up it's hard to find a place for #1's. Cool, and keep it up.

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9