Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 25 Nov 2017, 04:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2007, 21:30 
Trapper
Trapper

ok guys here is an update on the traps i set a few of them yesterday i had a pull out by a skunk no dout it was a snuk trade mark inmistakable i have decided to sell them all for scrap and use the money to buy some real traps that fit my need like #2 duke the day was not a total loss i caught a nice grey in a good trap aka #2 duke

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2007, 21:35 
Trapper
Trapper

I'll take all 50 for "scrap price".....send me your address & I'll send you a Money Order..........

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2007, 21:45 
Trapper
Trapper

they have 2 more nights if they fail me again i mite just take u up on that

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2007, 22:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Let me know, I'll take them all.

Smitty

a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2007, 23:01 
Hey, congratulations on your fox!

And don't scrap all your 1.5's They have a place on your line, just not the place you wanted initially. Keep a couple dozen to use for mink, muskrat and coon. If you get rid of them all, surely a moment will present itself and you'll wish you hadn't gotten rid of ALL of them.

Selling 26 1.5's at 3-4 dollars a piece will bring you anywhere from 78-104 dollars which is enough to buy a dozen or more Duke 1.75's. :)

Get a picture of that fox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2007, 23:09 
Trapper
Trapper

thanks i figure i will im not much on the rat traping i trap them if they get in my ponds but if not they are free to go i dont do water traping i like the k9 and cat traping my self to tell the truth i really dont like to see coons in my traps it just another trap with out a fox or a cat in it im too slective to ever make any moeny at this glad i got a good day job the mink idea is intersting i will look into that 4 sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2007, 23:17 
*lol* Well, you may find like some do that splitting up your season and targetting different animals at different times may hold interest for you. I know that some trappers (like myself) like to trap early season coon, and push my fox, canine and cat catches off until there's snow on the ground. Though, *grunt* Mother nature wasn't cooperating this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 07:02 
Trapper
Trapper

Geesh, you guys kill me. You talk about how junky & crappy those traps are.........until you want to sell them :roll:

Why if I was a Duke lover I'd whine & say "Uh-uh-uh, b-b-b-but I can buy new Dukes for $4 each". Funny how Dukes are so "great", but you want the same price for USED Vics.

Which side of your face you gonna talk from today??????? :wink:

Smitty

a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 08:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have duke traps and do like them , I have victor traps and do like them, I have blake +lamb and do like them I have an assortment of all kinds and brands and they all have a place on my trapline. the dukes are new so they are strong I do have but don't like the offset jaws or the laminated jaws those are the traps that have had the most pullouts in. on the duke traps these are #2 double coil on the pan I noticed that if it goes down too far the locks catch at the bottem and you always get a pull this doesn't always happen this year I would say I missed out on atleast 12 + coon. or 170 dollars however you look at it. I did get a large coon with a #1 victor jump trap this year three toes held him , I also had a pull out but it wasn't the coon that pulled him out it was the trapper who decided he would come set traps inbetween my sets . same type of trap. I do not like the duke 110 and it is only because they don't fit on lath you have to wittle the lath down. alot of my 110 are over 35 years old and so are the jumps,and blake's some of my beaver traps 330 are 20 years and some are newer I baught one this year as I want to make one large one like the 660 that would come in handy on some runs had 4 or 5 that it would have worked well on this season so far. I don't have any beaver traps out right now but will in the comming weeks . well thats it I really have no real prefrence as long as they work or can be modified to do what I want . I havn't seen new victors so I don't have an oppinion. I would venture to say I have 8 different brands of traps in my possession. so its what ever works best for the situation. Although I would say I am not real particular to long springs but do have two dozen or so. love them coil springs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 15:15 
Because smitty, there are victor enthusiasts that will pay that price. *preen* Supply meets demand, price point is set. If the victors are really all that great, you shouldn't have a problem paying 4 bucks a piece. *preen* And then he can go get the dukes he wants. Win-win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 15:49 
Trapper
Trapper

Ohhhh....I see, you'd knowingly sell "a piece of crap" to someone else.......you should apply for a position as a Duke sales rep :roll:

Smitty

a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 16:00 
Nah. Bridger offered me more. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 21:40 
Trapper
Trapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 21:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Told ya they will hold. 8)

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 22:18 
Trapper
Trapper

well as much as i wish they were caught in the 1.5s but im a honest guy and they both came from #2 dukes

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 07:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

there cheap , there available , they work. dukes that is what I have gotten this season. so far the quality has been ok in my book. did have some that were not up to par though. but all in all I was able to make them work. and almost all the new ones did pay for themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 08:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I do believe dukes is what I am gonna get if I ever buy new traps, well I do like Modified. Ok, I am guying to buy some dukes and try to mod them myself in agri!!

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 11:15 
Ty-bo, have you ever used a modified trap? And what about it did you like? Have you tried any of the duke stock traps? And what about them didn't you like? And how do you feel the mods that you'll be making will improve the performance of your dukes?

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 17:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I want them just to have them mainly. :lol: I have one stock duke trap and I haven't ever had a problem with it, it is on a drag.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 20:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have never modified a trap more than shaving a little metal here or welding some of the spot welds file the dog catch on the pan. add springs to the chain. I see that it strengthens them . I see the reason behind the chain and swivel at the base but does it really make a big difference. some of the modifications I have seen do seem to make it look like it will do better in some situations. like to hear some oppinions on the different modifications . smitty you can chime in if you read this as some of the modifications I saw here that were what you did others were friends traps some of the really new trappers may want to hear the reasoning for some of the modifications if you have the time. I may even try to do more modifiing if I can see that it really will make a difference. offset jaws that I really must just be old school and laminated jaws ick I just cant see the reason I have had too many pullouts on both of these types I may modify both of those to work better for me. unless there is somthing I am doing wrong that there pulling out with them . there gonna hang until I can figure this out .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 20:31 
Um... Smitty isn't with us. He opted out of the forum. Didn't like some of the rules. We respect his decision.

As for modifications, i can explain a few.

Lamination: Broader surface on contact areas means the pressure gets dispersed over a greater area. Less potential for injury due to laceration and crushing.

Baseplate: Strengthens the base of the trap, allows for center or offset swiveling, adds weight to traps for drowning.

Four-Coiling: With weak stock springs, it gives you the strength you lost. Primarilly though it increases the speed of the trap,and gives it the added oomph to power through heavy, wet soils or icy soils.

Grinding the tips of the levers on Low lever traps: Less surface area for a fox to step on or a coon to get itself out of the trap.

Night latching: The grinding of part of the dog, or pan, or the adding of a notch so that there is less throw from the pan when it is set level.

Multiple Swivels: Occassionaly, chain will kink, the added swivels allow the animal to twist and flail while keeping the trap in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 21:37 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Thanks Lil Bit, I am adding those definitions to the trapping glossary thread. :)

Sorry to hear that about Smitty, I did not know that. I liked having him here and I told him so. To each his own I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 22:02 
I know. He will be missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 23:47 
I dont use many footholds,but I have Duke and Vic's.I mainly use coni's,I bought a dozen new 220 Dukes at our state convention this year and my son boughta 1/2 dozen 160'Dukes.And I hate them,we cleaned and rusted them.Then painted them all flat black,we then tried setting one of each to get measurments to build boxes.They wouldnt stay set,if you looked at them cross-eyed they went off.I ended up having to file each one of the dogs so that the notch's were deeper.I am also going to have to replace the trigers,half of them have broken on me this season.So neadless to say,I wont be buying anymore Duke coni's.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 00:11 
Admittedly, I do not have any Duke 160's, so I can't speak on their quality. I do, however, have Duke 330's and have only one complaint about them.

The travel on them is too far. They go 3-4 inches before they set off. Granted, this can be countered by deepening the notches in the dog, which we did, but by doing so, you're really thinning the metal. I've changed the triggers on some to be similar to a belisle style with similar dogs, but that is one flaw in the conibears of Duke. The trigger system. The question is, Have you told Bill Duke about it?