Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 02:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2006, 11:26 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

the local game warden gave me a call last night and asked me if i was doing any trapping near the french river and i said yes, whats up?. He then told me an irate dog owner had called with my trap tag number and he said he was going to visit him and could swing by my farm when he was done. well in an hour or so he came over , gave me my trap and told me that the dog owner screamed at him to do something about it. he then told me that he said "well ,,ok" and wrote him up a ticket for trap tampering and leash law violation. nice to know the warden is willing to enforce my " privelage to trap" in addition to all the game law infractions he has to deal with every day. just thought id share this

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2006, 14:00 
Trapper
Trapper

Id say score one for the good-guys. Seems like things go the opposite way here. I've called the law 3 times on the same dog, where each time they spoke to the owner. Matter of fact, just today I'd asked a neighbor for about the 10th time (the 9th was yesterday :roll: ) to keep his dog(s) in his own yard.

This is why I always complain....the ARA's can't get pet-owners to follow the law (even one as simple as the leash law), we obey the laws & have to constantly battle with the threats of trap banning.....doesn't make much sense to me. Perhaps they (ARAs) need to shift their focus onto the real problem, and leave us sportsmen & women ALONE! :x

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2006, 13:02 
Trapper
Trapper

Nice to hear the CO stood up for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 09:30 
Trapper
Trapper

This is where I have a problem. Everybody and their brother lets their critters run loose around here. I have been working on access to land for trapping purposes, every time the landowner asks "what if you catch "Joes" dog or kitty". We have no leash law in the county. Should I inform these people who have total disregard for their pets or neighbors property rights that I WILL be trapping in the neighborhood when the time comes? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 18:56 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Yep, you should tell anyone that will be around that you are trapping. I don;t see how someone leting a dog run or a cat out for a while has any disregard for a neighbor's property. If people have the right to let a dog run or whatever,you should respect that right just as you expect to have the right to trap. All it takes is one "bad Deal",and you will have more trouble then you want...... Be careful

Skunk-9
Mink-4
Beaver-0
Fox-1
Yotes-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 12:17 
Trapper
Trapper

"I don;t see how someone leting a dog run or a cat out for a while has any disregard for a neighbor's property."

I guess I shoulda been a little more clearer. I could write a book on the probelms I've seen firsthand, not to mention the ones I've heard secondhand that seem to bear some merit. One fella I know where I'm planning to trap next fall has a neighbor that owns 6ac of ground and acts as if he owns 1000. Has goats cows pigs chickens turkeys ducks and they just wander during the day. So badly the fella who I have gotten permission from cannot let his labs out to run in fear they will get after the neighbors critters on HIS OWN property and kill them,,, then get sued.

Another place they are completely surrounded by roads or a creek, no neighbors adjoining their land directly. Guy across the roads cattle horses and donkeys get out all the time, eat up his foodplots, dogs don't get fed, they fend for themselves off the game they catch on the place. Yes we have proof of this, pics and all, talked to the sherriff, but we have a county option fence law that is so full of holes they cannot force him to do anything to keep the animals in, just talk to them.

Lastly, on some riverbottom ground I have access to, another fella started trapping there this year. After two weeks of a neighbors dogs taking the animals he'd caught in his traps he quit, gave up, pulled em all for greener pastures. They tried to say their dogs never left their 5 acres. Maybe when they were home, but they had free reign of the place the entire day. The trapper wondring why everytime he found a trap tripped but empty set a game cam and despite the evidence to the contrary these people refused to keep their dogs tied up. This is one place I definitely wanna run some sets cause the cats are really using this riverbottom.

There, maybe I better explained the predicament. I will probably notify these people well in advance so they know my intentions, but I seriously doubt it will make much difference either way in all the situations. then I willbe faced with a choice I'd rather not face, but they won't stop me from trapping. :wink: