Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 20:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beaver Question
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2007, 13:21 
Trapper
Trapper

OK, I have taken a few beavers this year, and thought I was doing good until now. I caught 2 more Saturday morning at den entrances 10 feet apart at the same time. I know the one entrance goes to a bank den, I almost fell through a weak spot, but the other entrance starts off going in the wrong direction and my arm isn't long enough to find where it leads. I reset my traps in the same location, but have gotten nothing since. The den is on what I would consider a penninsula with an "island" in front of it. Across the water about 15 yards is what looks like an actual beaver lodge (logs piled up in the shape of a lodge) with water pretty much surrounding it. The 2 beavers I caught Saturday were both tiny 20-25 pounds each. Could that be all that was in the bank den, or would the others possibly witnessed the fate of there kin and decided to use another entrance that I don't know about because I haven't stepped in it yet? And now there is a layer of ice on the water, not enough to walk on yet, and snow on top of the ice. I cannot see through everything to find bubbles. Will they stay in their dens for a while when it gets nasty out? There is also a really nice big dam down-stream from the den, and several smaller ones down-stream of the big one. They seem to be doing most of their damage upstream though, and there isn't a lot of sign down-stream. Can anybody make any sense of my ramblings and maybe provide some help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2007, 14:23 
Trapper
Trapper

Were the dead ones blocking the dens? COuld be the sight of the dead ones frightened the ones still there.

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2007, 17:45 
Trapper
Trapper

One trap was actually a foot or so from the entrance in the channel leading to the den, and floated to the top, the other trap was right at the entrance and for some reason didn't move at all. I didn't think I had anything until I had pulled the trap all of the way up and saw fur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2007, 19:49 
Trapper
Trapper

If it were me, I'd pull those traps, make a small break in the dam & see if it gets repaired.

Smitty

a Ride"

Post subject: Re: Beaver Question
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2007, 20:47 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Bowhunter-turned-trapper? wrote:
OK, I have taken a few beavers this year, and thought I was doing good until now. I caught 2 more Saturday morning at den entrances 10 feet apart at the same time. I know the one entrance goes to a bank den, I almost fell through a weak spot, but the other entrance starts off going in the wrong direction and my arm isn't long enough to find where it leads. I reset my traps in the same location, but have gotten nothing since. The den is on what I would consider a penninsula with an "island" in front of it. Across the water about 15 yards is what looks like an actual beaver lodge (logs piled up in the shape of a lodge) with water pretty much surrounding it. The 2 beavers I caught Saturday were both tiny 20-25 pounds each. Could that be all that was in the bank den, or would the others possibly witnessed the fate of there kin and decided to use another entrance that I don't know about because I haven't stepped in it yet? And now there is a layer of ice on the water, not enough to walk on yet, and snow on top of the ice. I cannot see through everything to find bubbles. Will they stay in their dens for a while when it gets nasty out? There is also a really nice big dam down-stream from the den, and several smaller ones down-stream of the big one. They seem to be doing most of their damage upstream though, and there isn't a lot of sign down-stream. Can anybody make any sense of my ramblings and maybe provide some help?
Quote:
    [url][/url]
    [img]Can%20you%20Bank%20set%20or%20is%20there%20still%20to%20much%20ice?[/img]

Post subject:
    PostPosted: 17 Jan 2007, 21:01 
    Experienced Forum User
    Experienced Forum User

I agree with smitty but check the regulations as in minnesota you are not allowed to make a break in a beaver dam you connot trap on a lodge or molest it in any way same with a dam although you can trap on a dam. that is a good trick to see if there are beaver left. But I can't do this here . I will give you a little tip that will let the beaver fall away from the entrance so the others may not see it . It dosn't always work as planned but it has worked more than not for me. when you stake your 330 it only needs to hold the trap not the beaver. when a beaver is caught in a 330 they will obviously try to get out but thats real tough I have some very weak 330 but they catch them like the strong ones. any ways with the trap staked just enough to hold the trap in the position you need then wire the trap to somthing solid likt a tree or a stake and give it some slack 3 -5 feet I usually go about that. when they are spinning fighting the trap they will fall away from the run and the other beaver will be none the wiser . I would have to see the size of the lodge to guess the number of beaver . I did trap a spot that had a dam that the otters dug a hole through and it was never repaired but caught 4 beaver in two days after that and the biggest one out of that spot two days later . there were still sign that there were more there my bet is two. its not a trick it is somthing I learned as some of my 330 are weak and had some misses there are some beaver that will spring the trap but I could tell if its just sprung or if it was really in the trap and got out. with the tie wire that long and staked lightly I had far less sprung traps and did catch more beaver I would say that I caught 1/3 more and the beaver that I caught were bigger . some may say this may not be so but I will not change this tactic ever.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2007, 21:13 
    Forum Newbie
    Forum Newbie

Beaver are very smart when they see one another get caught,
    The best results are to bank set them using caster/gland.
    Gang set (6-8 traps) when you find beaver use a large trap like MB-750 that Minnesota traplines make. I've never had a miss with one of these large traps, Also you will catch smaller beavers in the den they will stay in there longer than the adults. The bank set is easier and you are not messing with there nature enviroment (The Den) Beaver get spooked easy when trapped. Set about 4 on one side of the bank and 4 on the other use only 2 different gland lures. About 25-30 yards apart
    The easiest way is grab a hand full of mud in the water put it barley on the bank right by the water, set the trap and put the lure in the mud center the lure to the trap pan directly, The beaver swims up there (adult)
    thinking that another beaver has moved in and you will catch larger and more beaver. Move down stream as you catch beavers and apply different glands/casters. Becarefull though you don't want to trap them all. :D

Post subject:
    PostPosted: 17 Jan 2007, 22:53 
    This year's young were born early, and many kits are topping 25 lbs. Kits will often chill in Bank dens when they're feeling exploratory, but the main population should be in that lodge if it's active. You can tell if it's active by checking for mud or grass growing on it. Or fresh food caches under the water. Look for troughs. Polarized glasses will help if it's pre-iceup, but post iceup, short of breaking the ice and poking around with a stick, you're stuck with bubbles.

A lot of the time, you'll find muskrats inhabiting old bank dens, and will catch an accidental muskrat or otter going in to eat the muskrats. Don't discount the bank dens. If the young are chilling out in there until they can 'afford their own pad', mom and dad will com eto check on them periodically.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 12:42 
    Trapper
    Trapper

I can't really do the castor mound now with all of the ice. I am not supposed to catch otters (protected) and there is too much snow on the ice to see bubbles. Will the move around on shore at all with snow on the ground? I have been watching for sign but haven't seen any. I am actually supposed to catch them all, it is a company teaming with a landowner to get rid of them. They have a tree that is over 6' circumference that is CLEAN up to my waist (I am 6'2") and now they are working on dropping the tree. Could I set my traps where they are now and accidently push my trap stakes through the bank den and make them run out through the traps? I would just be looking for a good place to put a stake in the ground, not messing with their den (also not legal here) Would that cause them to flee right into my awaiting traps?

Post subject:
    PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 12:55 
    Trapper
    Trapper

Check your regulations.

In Wisconsin, landowners can shoot problematic beaver, as well as remove/tamper/destroy damns on their land. There is a set of laws to conserve and protect wildlife, and there are typically excemptions to protect the property owner.

So, you may find that there are excemptions in your case since the property owner wants the nuissance beaver erradicated - it may be a "no holds barred" situation. Careful, though... dynamite tends to damage the fur. And be sure to carry written permission from the landowner with you lest you should be watched or confronted by a warden.

If you can't find what you are looking for, don't be afraid to call your local warden. In fact, you should already be on good terms with them. Trappers and wardens have a symbiotic relationship of sorts: you scratch their back (tips, reports, etc.) and they scratch yours (tips, referrals, etc.). A lot of wardens are very cool if you approach them with questions, and it's their job to help, so use them as you would any other tool.

First year:
    1 - Grinner
    9 - 'Skrat
    1 - Beaver
    0 - Mink
    1 - Coyote

Post subject:
    PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 12:59 
    Trapper
    Trapper

Actually my buddy, the warden, is the one who got me this property to trap. He got the complaint and told them he had just the person for the job....ME :D

Post subject:
    PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 13:29 
    Trapper
    Trapper

Duh then, dude. You should be on the blower right now picking HIS brain... "Hey, mr. warden man, what are my options? Nerve gas? Bulldozer? 30.06?" Let us know what HE says.

First year:
    1 - Grinner
    9 - 'Skrat
    1 - Beaver
    0 - Mink
    1 - Coyote

Post subject:
    PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 13:59 
    Trapper
    Trapper

Just left a voicemail on his cell phone. I kind of like the stake idea through the top of the bank den. In IL our main season ends saturday(beavergoes until march 31) so I was thinking of taking every leg trap I have and setting them on top of the den and staking them all with long rebar stakes. I just hope I don't accidently stake them into the den itself :twisted: The only concern with that is 2 traps at different entrances and more than 2 beavers inside. I can run fast, but I don't know how fast a mad beaver runs.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 14:09 
    HATCHET MAN
    HATCHET MAN

Bowhunter-turned-trapper? wrote:
    I can run fast, but I don't know how fast a mad beaver runs.

I do. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
    PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 14:26 
    Many states require that you contact their conservation commission to obtain permits to damage dams as it may affect things down stream or up stream.

When the weather gets really bad, most of the time, beavers won't come out of their den. They'll come out under water to grab some food, and then they'll hang out inside the den. It's surprisingly warm in there. They have vents to allow gasses to escape, and even in bank dens, further up on the hill you'll find holes, or greasy spots at the base of trees where there's a vent.

You can bust through the ice and create under ice bait popups. Kind of like this:

Bait the triggers with a piece of wood, or pvc painted like birch, or heck, even a parsnip works well (kind of a white carrot). Wire it to your long pole. Have a cross piece that lays ontop of the ice. First day, it'll be a little wobbly so if you can jam the end of the pole in the ground, better. The second day, it'll freeze up the pole, so you just have to jam a checkin' rod through the ice to feel for anything soft and furry in the trap. Just make sure that your pole is DEAD WOOD, else your little trap will go for a ride.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 14:55 
    Trapper
    Trapper

The ice isn't quite thick enough to stand on YET. I want to make a couple of these poles with snares and a couple with 330s, but I hate being over my head in freezing water. I have done it already and still not ready to do it again

Post subject:
    PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 14:57 
    Trapper
    Trapper

Vulpine wrote:
    Duh then, dude. You should be on the blower right now picking HIS brain... "Hey, mr. warden man, what are my options? Nerve gas? Bulldozer? 30.06?" Let us know what HE says.

lol, this is OT, but I was at the local Trap Supply house today, and in walks a guy wanting advice on catching coyote.......the local CO told him to use cagetraps :roll: ......I told him I hoped he didn't buy too many :D

Smitty

a Ride"

Post subject:
    PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 14:59 
    Trapper
    Trapper

Cage traps work GREAT, but not in the way MOST people will use them :twisted:

I have done very well on coyotes when I involved a cage trap in my set-up