Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 18:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: in the round ?
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 19:04 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

im not great at skinning but ive done my foxes and raccoon so far still not even close to being good but what im wondering is if you were taking them whole how long could you keep them froze or how would you store them for the processer or how bad could you mess up a hide before they would reject it like around the eyes or the nose i figure the habits gonna help pay for itself if were gonna stay into it for the next few years we are going to make caps out of the first foxes and racc so i wasnt to worried about them but wanted some guidelines for the future thanks for any replies guys n gals

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 19:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I take my animals in whole to the buyer the same day I catch them. If you freeze them, I imagine they will last a couple weeks and still remain price. :?:

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 19:12 
Trapper
Trapper

ya me to, i just take the whole thing because i dont feel like skinning them, i getting 7.25 per rat and about 20 for mink and its holding up pretty good, i seen a guy that had a bunch of furs standing in front of me trying to sell his furs but the hides all turned green because he dried them to long and he got about nothing for them, so im sticking with the shake and bake method, pull em and sell them whole :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 19:18 
Trapper
Trapper

o heres a tip to, get your fur washed up real good cause them jokers all ways find a way to rip you off, so when you get them all cleaned up, and they try to rip you off, give them "The Glare", this move is simple but deadly, lol, i had a guy offer me 20 bucks for 4 rats cause one of them, he suspected didnt have very good fur, so i whipped out "The Glare". and when he came back with the bucks, his exact words are " Did i say 20, i ment 24" so i grabbed my money and gave him one last "Glare" and walked away happy with the money, and ive never been anymore seriouser, it works well. you will have to practise it to get it just right, and scrunging the lip a little is a bonus. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 19:38 
Trapper
Trapper

even if you don't want to mess with the drying process you can skin them and sell them green just another option to think about

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 20:00 
Trapper
Trapper

lol...you guys kill me.....there's a buyer or two around here if you gave the "glare", you'd be liable to find their foot assisting you out the door.

When you sell whole, the buyer has no idea if the animal has spoiled, if early coon are blue, or if beaver are chewed-up. He is taking a gamble when buying.

Young sellers are fortunate in that alot of buyers (around here) will pay alittle extra to a young trapper. You need to learn to put your own fur up. To me it's just as much a part of trapping as setting traps. You can take alot of pride in selling well put-up fur.

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 20:12 
Trapper
Trapper

this is my frist year of putting up furs any suggestion for a newbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 20:26 
Trapper
Trapper

I will give you the best piece of advice you'll ever get if you're wanting to learn furhandling.

Hal Sullivan has a book called "Fur Handling 2000". Buy the book, not the video, as the book will be easier for you to refer to as your skinning. It will answer any question you'll have about setting up your skinning area, equipmant, skinning, fleshing, and stretchers.

The book is $10-14 and I PROMISE it'll be the best money you'll spend, and you'll probably pay for the book with the 1st pelt or two you sell.

Even though I don't see "eye-to-eye" with Hal on alot of matters, I won't discredit this very informative book.

Smitty

a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 20:29 
Trapper
Trapper

you can freeze em whole for a few months, and theyre ok

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 20:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

They know me around here and if it is a bad deal, they could call me and I would come back and give there money back, like if it was cut up or something. My animals are FRESH when I take them, as in still warm.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 20:35 
Trapper
Trapper

Ty-If your buyer ever calls you wanting money back....ask him how many times he's called to give you money because he "made too much".

Hey TrapIN! Look out....the Hoosiers are takin' over...... :wink:

Smitty

a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 20:38 
Trapper
Trapper

smittystrapmods wrote:
lol...you guys kill me.....there's a buyer or two around here if you gave the "glare", you'd be liable to find their foot assisting you out the door.

When you sell whole, the buyer has no idea if the animal has spoiled, if early coon are blue, or if beaver are chewed-up. He is taking a gamble when buying.

Young sellers are fortunate in that alot of buyers (around here) will pay alittle extra to a young trapper. You need to learn to put your own fur up. To me it's just as much a part of trapping as setting traps. You can take alot of pride in selling well put-up fur.

Smitty
Hey the object is to not be so obvious, you kinda have to give it in between like your really P***** off but your hiding it, and i recommend "The Glare" to all you young trappers out there, and once you expierenced my move, ill teach ya a few more complex ones, ones that requoire some skill..... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 20:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thing is, never been called back, but I told him if he is ever upset, to call me back and amazingly he hasn't. He will take them without even thinking, I tell him were I caught him and if I see a fault I tell him. It is just different down here, everyone knows eachother to good to make a bad deal. :?

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 20:44 
Trapper
Trapper

o ya i forgot, i forgot to teach you one last thing about my deadly moves, when your about to use "The Glare", make sure you check the guy out and see if hes soft and cuddly or a hard ***, if hes really a out-going guy, theres no other move deadlier than "The Glare" but if your talking a mother standing 6 foot 9 and the new Arnold Schwarzeneger in prison form, lol i dont recommend "The Glare", cause trust me folks, lol its gonna be the last glare your ever gonna do on this world

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 21:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have always skinned them unless Im going in to sell some I may take some of the catch in un skun. but I skin every thing otherwise the only thing that I don't streach and flesh is coon there real greasy and I just don't do them oh ya possum thats a different story I won't skin them there nasty little creatures who's sole purpose is to scavange the nastiest stuff they even eat there own . I just cant bring myself to do it . maby some day when there worth somthing more than the bait eaters. muskrat are all skun felshed and streached . there so easy . beaver same but there real time consuming fox are easy as there is so little fat same as mink there easier to flesh and streach than skinning but I always skin them and take the gland juices for lure or spill it all over me so I smell so nice for all the ladies. there is nothing like going up to the seller and him seeing your streached wares can see a smile on his face. I comb all racoon beaver and rats mink I comb everything . Not possum. clean off dirt blood ect really helps you can see when the seller runs his hands on the fir and he finds burdoc ect. bang price just went down. cuts around eyes on certain fur could be docked but for the most part that is cut away not alot of eye holes in a fur coat see. now a mink stole there are eyes there is a certain pride and that is the way I was taught by my dad Its alot of work trapping it doesn't just stop at setting and catching you may not make much more but if say you catch 500 rats and you get docked two bucks a rat for not skinning and fleshing you do the math. I really like 1000 dollars how about you. I won't hit 500 rats this season but Im sure I will be close or more than half way there with in a month when its done. I still know where Im going next hoping to get close to 300 atleast may not but im hoping. trapping really involves alot .catching them isn't the whole deal but its the funnest part .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 21:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

the glare I say if the seller wants to give you a raw deal then don't sell to him. and if the fur was spoiled before it was fleshed then that is that. fur dosn't spoil unless it is not drying correctly you need to dry the fur, when fur is on streacher it needs to be in a dry place . I don't know how you can dry too long I have some rats that I caught first part of the season. I keep the biggest ones out and sell them last as if you sell the jumbos with all the rest then your large become mediums , mediums become small and kits art always kits. some buyers go by what you have not by length so think about what your selling and you may get a better price for what you actually have . unless you just have a couple good put up fur gets the best prices practice makes perfect or atleast less mistakes in putting up the fur. the trap line doesn't stop at the door when you get home then the real work of a trapper begins. its pride and proffecionalism and im not the best speller either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 21:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Born2trap wrote:
but if your talking a mother standing 6 foot 9 and the new Arnold Schwarzeneger in prison form

That would be me.....but you forgot the 9mm :wink:

The Smittynator

a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 21:25 
Trapper
Trapper

o ya right, put your little squirt gun away, no one wants to know about your pea shooter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 21:30 
Trapper
Trapper

as for me, i run along the lines of Clint Eastwood style, im talking the baddest of the bad, nothing can beat the .44 Mag Red Hawk... sends chills down my spine when i talk about this bad boy