Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 00:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: homemade colonytraps
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 18:39 
Trapper
Trapper

I builtsome homemade cage traps for muskrat trapping next year, heres some pics, now if your gonna build this, you better crack open some 'Dews or youll be tired faster than a pizza in a weight loss convention :wink:

i hope they work and it took me forever to find the dimensions for it, if you want to build this, its a great project for your backyard and all i used is some good durable rabbit wire.

rabbit wire i used-

ok the dimensions, well i was gonna post some pics but the batteries ran out of my sisters camera, so ill have to tell ya, and tools needed are slip-joint pliers and wire cutters

total length of trap-24"long

Width of the top and bottom-5"

height of left and right side-6"

so your trap is gonna be 24" long and the tunnel hole should be 5x6", so the tunnel hole should be 5 inches wide on top and bottom and 6 inches high on the sides, so you should have a rectangular hole when your fininshed.

The Doors- the doors are the hard part, and i just wanted to take me big foot and stomp on it when i came to this part, but anyways, make them 4 inches wide so that its an inch less in width than the tunnel, now you can make them inward was far as you want, mine are 7inches long, now after you got the 2 doors cut out, you have to hinge them one so you will have to cut the top so the wires can be bent to hinge on the top of your trap. this is when the pliers come in handy, now when you did all that, check to see if it swings inward smoothly and no knotches or flaws, then when you got the 2 doors done, the door bottoms should be bending inward. and RENEMBER, ALL THAT IS NEEDED IS RABBIT WIRE, you dont need J-clips or none of that fancy stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 18:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks for the Deminsions and such!! I am gonna try and build some as well this summer for Muskrat.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 19:46 
Trapper
Trapper

just a few suggestions to get the corners nice a square clamp your wire under a 2X4 to the edge of a workbench and tap with a hammer make nice sqare corners.Also you might want to wrap the door ends around but not tight just to clean things up abit

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 20:07 
Trapper
Trapper

You need to form the wire in the other direction. If you look at the bottom of the door, the door can hang-up on the wire going "across" the bottom. I guess what I'm saying it you made it "inside-out".

You want the wires that go "around" the trap to be on the outside, then the long wires will act as "runners" for the doors & they won't get caught on them.

You need to straighten the doors up, or they'll catch on the sides & either not open, or stick open.

If you have a Tractor Supply close, they sell the pliers & clips to assemble them like the "store-bought" traps.....for about $10

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 21:34 
Trapper
Trapper

no one asked for your help... i can do it on my own....im not retarded...jk guys, thanks for the flaw reports...get my little hammer and nails and get right on her

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 21:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I made some collapsable ones this year and yes they worked but I maxed two they seemed to go to the doors and die bitting the wire above the door no more could get in. but three days of that and thats six rats so guess I should say yes they worked but I will make it so they stay away from the doors at the top they wedged the door closed. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 21:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I agree with smitty thats what I did . you may want to think about if they swim for air they are going to be high on the cage too then they wedge themselves infront of the door as that is how they got in so that is the door there going to try to get out .I am going to put somthing short but at the top so they are less likely to do this I may get three or more if I can keep them away from the doors

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 22:15 
Trapper
Trapper

so how can i fix this

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 23:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

just take the doors off and slide new wire cage material over old doors and wala fixed. I actually got crimps at a farm and fleet store for making cages baught a crimp tool and cut the wire to the width and length then crimped it to form a rectangle box , I made 4 ,5, and 6 inch sizes to see wich worked best all the same . I can fold them flat as the crimps act like hinges . I however have to have square stakes to keep it square to work but I can carry many in a duffle bag or under my arm I can carry bunches upon bunches because there flat. is that any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 11:32 
Trapper
Trapper

lol, im still a little confused, ok, so i have to do something to the doors, so what do ya mean by the new cage wire? thanks for all the help :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 12:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

thats kind of a joke like if your car is broken just take the radiator cap off and slide another car under it and screw it on wala its fixed. Go to a hardware store or farmers store is better , they will have a crimper and crimps for making cages. cut your wire mesh or cage material to the dimensions that you want for each 4 sides length and width. take the crimper and crimps and make a box of course the doors you will do at the end of this process, now it will be collapsable too make more room for storing them. I crimped about every couple of inches along the length of it all 4 corners . I actually crimped the four sides when it was flat then squared it up and crimped the two sides together the first one I tried to make it by keeping it in a square but it kept wanting to be flat . you will see if you want 4 inch ones or 6 what ever suites you cut 4 inches wide and 2 or three feet long three is better I made one 2 feet and two of them 36 inches long I will use different cage material next time more like what you used . I found that the rats would end up with there jaw locked on to the wire with there nose wedged holding them at the door . but you will see what i mean if you get to use them if I get a chance I will put some pictures up unless you get what I am saying.when placing it in where you want you just have to make it so both doors open and close freely thats a trick some times but not too bad might take a minute or two but I had no problem. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 12:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i said cut them 4 inches wide but you can cudt them at 5 or 6 I would say do 5 inch or better even though 4 will work they all worked the same for me 2 rats max for me I have heard of them catching eight but I need to figure out how to keep them from blocking the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 17:46 
Trapper
Trapper

Pics would be great help, because im not good at bulding these kind of things

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 18:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Born, I am glad you took the stand to build one before me because I am gonna try the same way you did, scape wire and rods.

Possum-Too many