Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 06:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Castor lure
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 20:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have a question for all the experienced Beaver trappers. When you are using caster mound sets, you make a little mud mound and then put your castor lure on it, but what do ou mix your castor with or is it just dried caster cut up or is it mixed with glycerin or some thing else? I have always just used blind sets and want to try some new tricks as soon as the ice breaks here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 21:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hi fuzz, I asked a similar question not to long ago, glycerine and castor work ,others said you can add oil from the sacs too. When I make a mound I make it 12-18" high and taper it up I also try to use mud out of the creek ( or at least look at the creek bottom to see if there's leaves and stuff in the mud.) if the creeks got a lot of debris on the bottom and you use dirt form somewhere else( when the ground freezes I carry dirt with me and make mud) twigs and leaves sricking out the pile gives it more appeal( I made a castor pile from dirt slicked it down with water and got no response cause it didn't " look" like the mud from the bottom)then I remade with leaves and twigs , same dirt/mud, and got a visit the same night. I make mounds at 80-90% of the sets I put out. Works great!

Sorry back to scent, I use dried ground castor sac( if it was prepared right)and all them I added oil squeezed from the sacs( they still had red membrane on them) and enough glycerine the make it paste. Can't tell you if it works til the fall tho. LOL TS

40 rats
7 coon
2 feral cats

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 08:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks TS I will look for yours and check it out :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 08:29 
Trapper
Trapper

My mounds are little more a hand full mud or a smear on the bank. Beaver check out the new castor smell. Im not saying a large mound wont work great ,but the beaver come in to the smell not the sight of the mound.

Jim blakley

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 08:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks J B and what did you use for caster lure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 09:39 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Jb, when you make a small mound , it's not a castor mound , it's just a scent mound, if you make it bigger it WILL add enough eye appeal and you don't even need scent, yes they will come to just the smell , if their down wind, but a bigger mound maximizes your chance for a catch. Beaver make two types of mounds.

40 rats
7 coon
2 feral cats

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 10:11 
Trapper
Trapper

Steve, thats a good point, I never thought about that....Thanks

Jim Blakley

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 10:22 
Trapper
Trapper

Fuzz, I make my own castor lure.. I coarse grind semi-dry castors put them In a qt. size plastic bottle and add some cooking oil. I shake It up well at each set and add some to my set. Heres a pic. of my bottle...

I just finished my southern mn. beaver line april 3rd. Ran 51 sets at 49 stops. All scent mounds [ thanks steve] with 330's. Took 52 beaver with 3 checks. [ 3 day check]....Fur wasnt that good 50% past prime.
Made a fresh batch of lure. Im heading to north central Mn. For more beaver. The Ice Is just going out now up there. Going with a friend who has free lodging for us. Theres a lot more beaver up there than down here. We'll set about 110 --#330's and a few foot holds. ..Jim...

Last edited by J blakley on 12 Apr 2009, 10:37, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 10:25 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

J blakley wrote:
Fuzz, I make my own castor lure.. I coarse grind semi-dry castors put them In a qt. size plastic bottle and add some cooking oil. I shake It up well at each set and add some to my set. Heres a pic. of my bottle...

I just finished my southern mn. beaver line april 3rd. Ran 51 sets at 49 stops.

Now that people is one clean and well organized fur shed :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 10:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, this is one of those things I never tried, but my ex's dad was a retired state trapper who did ALOT of beaver work. He fixed up his own caster and lure (started in the house til her mom made him move it out side cause the smell :wink: ). One thing he used on beaver was limburger (sp?) cheese. I've sence asked afew other beaver trappers and found a VERY few who also knew of this, but they said it worked as a castor lure, too. Just figured I'd add that 1 in if anyone is interested.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 12:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

With the way the beaver hides are selling the chease would be worth most of a seasons catch :shock: :twisted: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 12:46 
Trapper
Trapper

The beaver market sucks... I sold my first batch for $8.33 each in the round. But I got the castor. last spring I sold for $17 in the round.
I have a friend/buyer near the area we're going and he will give us $10.00 or better each in the round. He's got a market for the meat with sled dog people. We should be able to get 20 to 30 beaver a check from 100 traps.

JIm Blakley

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 14:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I was unable to find glycerin locally. So I mixed chopped dried/frozen castor with some mineral oil. Have gotten a good response from the beaver. I only mix up a little at a time though because I'm not sure of it's shelf life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2009, 17:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ive preferred smaller mounds, pie plate wide 4-6in tall. I set mine up a little different though, two traps on different wires set on the same drowning stake. I prefer deeper water, traps are in 6-10in usually, about 1 1/2ft-3ft apart. I put several sticks in front of them, my theory is they hit the sticks with theyre chest and drop their front feet and you either get them then or as they walk on over you get a backfoot catch? I buy most of my castor lure, but I dont set more then maybe a doz beaver sets anymore. I'll gangset an area if theyre causing problems. Limburger is a good additive for coon, fox, coyote baits and catfish but never heard of it for beaver, thanks, have to give it a shot. Im the only one thats eats it,lol, limburger, onion and fresh baked bread is just about heaven to me,lol. Eat as much as I can for a few days then I get in trouble and it becomes bait,lol.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada