Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 07:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: *Dancing a jig*
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2007, 04:31 
Trapper
Trapper

So, I'm new here. Hi, all.

I just took the trapping certification course here in Wisconsin this year, and wow was it informative. It's a very well-rounded class.

Anyway, I snatched up some traps that were pre-dyed and waxed and ready to go at a sweet price (12 #1 guarded single long-springs, 2 #3's, and 3 #2's along with 4 #110 coni's) right at the class, and got out to "dabble". I figured I'd do a little of everything, mostly around water. Since my time is limited, and my travel options few, I'm basically a weekend warrior.

Well, during deer season I happend to run across an obvious game run. A little obstruction set, some leaves covering, and whammo! My first thing I ever trapped! A grinner. :roll:

Hey, it was official: I'm a trapper. So, I string more steel and start snapping 'rats. Great. I'm hooked.

I'm waaaay hooked. It's funny, all the things I've hunted, you just don't see things when you aren't looking for them, or flat-out don't realize what you are looking at. Ever notice how, depending on what you are out in the woods for, you have a different set of "eyes" on? I mean, when you have the turkey gun out, you see turkey sign, with the deer rifle, you see deer sign, etc. It's like I was looking at the woods in black-and-white and now suddenly, like the Wizard of Oz scene, WHOOOSH! Everything is in vivid technicolor!

So, I get out and start seeing Beaver sign, weasel tracks, mink tracks... I'm freaking out! Heh. A couple weekends ago, I baited a beaver slide with some aspen with the bark stripped off and parked a #3 on a drowning slide at the bottom. "What's that dark shadow in the water there?" :twisted: No way... it worked? AWESOME!!

Another weekend, a few more rats, blah blah blah. Then a friend told me he flushed a fox locally while hunting rabbits. :shock: "Wha? WHERE? Reeeeaaly? Wanna have some fun, dude?"

He took me out and I set four dirt hole sets, trying mixes of scents and lures.

I'm learning from mistakes, like muskrat toes in traps, and trying to apply all that I've been reading. I knew my traps had all sorts of human stink on them, but what the heck for this season - this year is just a "warm up". I had a bad feeling about the stakes that where on these traps when I got them, but I figured "They must've worked otherwise they wouldn't be on here, right?"

Well, after two days and nothing in my sets, my buddy and I were sort of bummin'. The place is public, very close to town, and it's rabbit season: lots of rabbit hunters with dogs. I was pretty weary, but it was the middle of the week, so I figured I was pretty safe until the weekend.

Tonight, we walked out to check and pull the traps and the first one was missing.

"($*#^& THIEVES!" I cried. There was no way a fox was going to pull out that stake! Wait, there wasn't sign of struggle. I looked around, but it was dark. I did find a few little pieces poly-fil that I had under the pan strewn about, but really no clawing or scratching or anything... I was miffed to say the least. I walked a radius and didn't see ANY scratches or drags... no sign of, well, anything. I'm mystified.

Well, enough of that, we go to pull the rest. Next one, nothing. Walking up to the 3rd...

"EYES!"
"Huh?" (I look up and see the set of eyes at my set)

And that's why I'm here tonight, I'm about to skin my first coyote!
8)

Well, nothing in the fourth one. My buddy and I are going to scour the area and rabbit hunt tomorrow "looking for the missing trap". *Sigh*

I had a bad feeling about those stakes... earth anchors next year - learn from my mistakes.

First year:
1 - Grinner
9 - 'Skrat
1 - Beaver
0 - Mink
1 - Coyote

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2007, 07:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

how are you staking them sounds like the one held some times if you take two rebar and drive them in at angles making an X they seem to hold good if your uncertain throw a drag on too its just more to hide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2007, 09:57 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

It's fun to see a new guy have a little succes. Congratulations! I learn something new every time I go out in the woods. And some of those things make you slap your forehead and go DOH! :roll: That's what makes it fun though.

Go get 'em.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2007, 04:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i agree with yotes around you should x the stakes . i havent had a pullout yet with duke 1.75s plain dipped and waxed but one was very close to being free
congratulations on your success nobodies perfect without a lil help but if you keep asking questions here theyll get you a lot closer
good job on your sets too

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 13:58 
Trapper
Trapper

Well, the stakes are about 15" rolled stock with a triangle welded to the end. The triangle is twisted a bit, but the rolled stock is smooth. I did know about cross-staking, but didn't have any extra stakes. I'm kicking myself pretty hard because it is very, VERY "DOH!" The coyote that I did have had the stake up about 4", and it wasn't a very large one. So... earth anchors. I obviously can't guarantee fox and no coyote.

The thing is, I don't "road hunt". I know alot of guys that just drive to their sets and either check them from the vehicle, or walk 20 yards at the most to check them. I don't consider that trapping, I consider it "road hunting". But, :roll:, that's just me - I don't believe there is any place for ATV's in the woods, either. Call me a purist, but I can't stand the sound of a four wheeler ripping through the woods, muchless seeing the scars or smelling the exhaust.

Nope, I walk old school style: quiet, no trail, no scent. Which is why I'm going with earth anchors in the future. 20-30 traps in the backpack, with waders on, and a .22 strapped to your chest is plenty enough weight. I don't need to be hauling 15-20 more chunks of iron around with me on jaunts 2/3rds mile into the woods or further. And, when I get serious, I'll have a tent and all that gear along... stakes? Fowgeddaboudit.

Drags? MMmmm... Um... I don't trust in my experience enough yet to do it. I would rather be responsible and have a pull-out instead of an animal running around with a trap on it's leg. Anyway, I'd still have to haul around gear and extra chains for that. I'd rather just rig some shock springs up and know that I don't have a wild goose chase on my hands.

The one set that I did have a coyote still in, I was using "Gusto" with some garbage venison scraps (thin belly meat/fat) in the hole. Someone had asked in another thread if "Gusto" worked, I would say that it does. The other sets had the same venison in the holes, but had fox urine and/or hawbaker's fox gland lure, one was hit (and potentially pulled) by a (coyote?), so that stuff works also for either, I would say.

As for the human scent... my traps are (were?) very contaminated. Since my purchase, I've been setting on land and sometimes in water for other things and pulling them, and being more and more cautious about touching with bare hands and such, so perhaps the stink had worn off. More likely, since the area has pretty heavy human traffic, the k-9's are less weary and more accustomed to lingering human smell around. I'm going to assume the latter and better prep my traps for next season.

I can't really call my luck "begginer's luck". The Wisconsin trapping course is extremely informative. From sign and sets to fur handling and making your own lure, the course really brings a begginer up from "novice" to at least "inexperienced".

Anyway, I told my uncle that I got my first coyote. He told me "Have fun." :( "Why?"
"A lot of knifing."
"Oh man, like, they don't want to let go of the good stuff, huh?"
"Hah... you'll be at it a while."

:?

If trapping is a "part time job", skinning a coyote has proven to bring the "dollars per hour" down quite a bit. Good thing it's a hobby! :D

First year:
1 - Grinner
9 - 'Skrat
1 - Beaver
0 - Mink
1 - Coyote

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 22:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I use a sea bag and carry an axe handle , a Ice chisel and a two lb maul for driving stakes. I carry rebar and trapps , I am 5'6" 145 and yes I carry all the traps too. unless Im on the river then the boat works well. but I have walked and carried out beaver two miles + its a work out the decathlon of sports. I sometimes wear to many clothes especially when I have to carry two beaver and rats or coon or all three animals in multiples the most weight I carried out was three beaver and it was quite the walk that night I was too tired to skin them. oh yes its fun trapping . it is got to be the hardest work there is .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 09:36 
Trapper
Trapper

:lol:

You know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, then. I'm 5'7, 165. The only thing that makes carrying all the stuff possible is that I can deadlift 360#.

The first couple times I went out this year, I got home that night and wondered "Why do my abs hurt?" Duh, the insane amount of weight on my back, hello?

Sea bag, huh? I use an Army frame pack, or "rucksack", to lug my gear around. I find all the pockets and compartments to be ultra-useful. The axe drops in right behind one of the pockets, the brick hammer behind the other, the small pockets carry the scents, and you can strap animals to the bottom, top, sides, wherever. It's nice having the "need to get at stuff" on the outside, and the rest in the main compartment. I haven't needed to carry an ice chisel yet: the brick hammer works fine for dirt, ice, rotten logs, etc. It surely takes less time with a chisel, but, I've been building my arsenal around the fact that I have to carry it on foot.

I thought about using one of my sea bags with some sort of plastic "tube" as a form... it would be great for hauling out animals. But, the frame pack has a padded waist belt to take some of the weight off of the shoulders - I'd miss that.

First year:
1 - Grinner
9 - 'Skrat
1 - Beaver
0 - Mink
1 - Coyote

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 09:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ya know I think im gonna change pocketts seem like a very good Idea it would be nice to not actually have your hands full might would make things easier. may have to invest in a pack. I will be searching around for somthing that is close , my mind is working now thinking what would work well for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 10:39 
Trapper
Trapper

The material is a bit thin, so "throwing traps in" is more like "setting traps in". There are drain eyelets in the bottom, so that's a sweet bonus. I use that pack for EVERYTHING, so it has more than paid for itself. Hunting, fishing, camping, you name it, that pack gets its miles. When it gets too bloody/smelly, you just take it off the frame and toss it into the washing machine.

Being that I was in the Army, I was already used to all the Army gear. So, now that I'm out and have all these righteous hunting clothes, I figured I would get the gear to match. Heck, I even coughed up the cash for the compass (the one that glows in the dark for REAL: radioactive!)- I trained on it, I might as well get the same one. And, my next purchase is going to be the Armalite AR-10 (7.62 [.308]civilian version of the M-16, which is 5.56 [.223]). I trained on it, so I have a certain affection for the weapon. Thousands and thousands of rounds through a rifle pretty much means the rifle "lives" in your hands. I mean, my M-7 bayonett is already my hunting knife, might as well have something to stick it on, right?

Anyway, you can pick up a frame pack from Army surplus for around $70... Instead of going to a local joint, I recommend ordering from online: the stores have a habit of tacking on an extra 25% or better compared to online.

My shovel, the fold-up entrenching tool; my water bottle, canteens; my flashlight, the OD green "L" flashlight; sleeping bag, OD green mummy bag; dragging harness, ALICE gear; gloves, clothes, knives, boots, EVERYTHING is the real deal. Some people collect stamps and never use them, I collect Army gear and I use the snot out of the stuff: it loves to take a beating. If it breaks, *shrug* it was fairly cheap to begin with.

The capacity will be a little less than what you are used to with the sea bag, but you use it for everything: decoys duck hunting, decoys turkey hunting, tackle for fishing, gear for deer hunting, trail hiking/backpacking, overnight stays at grandma's house, you name it.

First year:
1 - Grinner
9 - 'Skrat
1 - Beaver
0 - Mink
1 - Coyote

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 16:13 
Trapper
Trapper

I made this as an "experiment" & gave it to a buddy of mine. It's a laundry hamper, with a 1/2" plywood bottom, and leftovers from 2" ratchet straps for the harness. Cost about $10.

Funny thing is.....because those hampers are curved, it'll fit your back perfectly.

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 16:57 
Trapper
Trapper

That's kinda slick! And light! One question though, what kind of winter blood-fest is that camoflage supposed to blend into? :twisted:

First year:
1 - Grinner
9 - 'Skrat
1 - Beaver
0 - Mink
1 - Coyote

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 20:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

It was -13 degrees this morning I do think it would last about to the second trap that would work in say 20 degrees but its ssssoooo coolldd out there . its 1 above right now . I need a fabric one but that would have worked up untill now. and 10 bucks is cheap thats a great idea.

Post subject: dancing a jig on the pan
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2007, 22:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

well I noticed last night that the muskrats were actually dancing a jig on the pan or atleast they may have sat on it so today at work I made the proper adjustments to my #1 victor jump with stoploss on them , and replaced all conibear and the non working traps . Actually they did work but as when in the field the reeds and dirt and what nots got under the pan . and it was very little that made them not fire. tomorrow will be a different story totally . they all are set to fire now I do expect to catch more than just two I can see more like 5 and up . still looking for the elusive mink again . I have two sets that I think should produce atleast one but that remains to be seen . like to hit the 250 rats atleast 300 would be nice but I have 79 more to catch to reach that mark. could happen if the traps that I set out all produce for 4 days , I have one more spot that I could reach 300 if that is the case . I will put out some bank dens in 4 days then move up to next pond and then there is the spot that would net me the 300. I am not actually trapping all the houses 2/3 of them and only the bank dens on one side will I set so that actually will amount to 1/3 or less of all the dens on this pond. isn't ice grand there is about 7-8 inches around the houses . fun fun fun . there is one other spot that I may try too must be ten houses that is if there is enough time left 30 some days maby 40 left . and very little open water. good luck all

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 05:25 
Trapper
Trapper

lol, no real reason or rhyme to the camo job, just what I had laying around at the time.......it was more to "hide" it from being a clothes hamper :wink:

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 11:01 
Trapper
Trapper

Not "big", but, my first.

8)

First year:
1 - Grinner
9 - 'Skrat
1 - Beaver
0 - Mink
1 - Coyote

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 11:52 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Nice 'yote! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 21:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

nice puppy I have never gotten a brush wolf yet but will kind of give it a try I baught some gland lure just waiting for it to come. 8)