Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 22:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 12:52 
With the cat skinned, its time to flesh. Cats generally have some fatty deposits on their bellies, especially females, and some cats have fat all over them, depending on the food source and such things. If you don't flesh them properly they'll spoil, and few things smell more foul than a stinky cat. Once you've smelled it, its a smell you won't soon forget.

I start with the ears. I like to skin the grisle out of the ears more so than I did on the fox.

Rub thoroughly with Borax when done.

I now slit the tail all the way to the tip. One of those little razor gizmos does the trick, but I usually just use my knife.

Apply liberal doses of Borax.

Using my fleshing knife, I start at the head and work down, sprinkling with Borax before and after fleshing.

There are usually some fatty deposits down near the base of the tail. More Borax.

Under each front shoulder there is usually a strip of meat. I find it easier to put one leg tube on the nose of the beam at a time to remove this meat.

On this cat, there was a hidden piece of a cactus, and it made a small hole when I hit it with the fleshing knife. I always sew these, and other holes, immediately after fleshing.

Some folks use waxed dental floss, but in this case I used cape thread from my taxidermy supplies. Thread your needle and tie the two loose ends together. (I usually use a much smaller needle, but this large cape needle, and the black thread, made photography easier).

If your hole is somewhat ragged or irregular shaped, I use a razor knife from the leather size and rework the hole to roughly a football shape, because it will make a much neater seam.

Using a fine stitch, pull the two sides of the hole together. Make sure you keep the hair out of the stitches.

This is a baseball stitch, meaning that with each pass of the needle, I thread the needle through the two lengths of thread, in effect tieing a knot with each stitch. It should keep the stitches from coming loose once you're done.

When you get to the end of your sewing, cut the thread, and then tie the two loose ends together.

Trim with your knife and it should be pretty much invisible.

Coat the entire leather side with Borax, making sure you get good amounts in the armpits, on the leg tubes, and into the ears.

Now its time to put our cat on a stretcher.