Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 21:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 12:39 
Well, here we go again. I’ve about recovered from all the “constructive criticism” from the gray fox posts (just kidding), so I thought it was time someone did a photo pictorial on how to put up a cat. I've been thinking the real cat experts would do one, but apparently not, so here goes.

The first step (which I omitted on the gray fox fur put up post) is to comb the animal with my fur brush prior to skinning it. In my area, cactus is a pain, and there is nothing that will get your attention faster than driving a cactus thorn under your thumb nail during skinning. Other areas have pine gum, pine needles and other foreign matter that should be removed prior to skinning. It also helps avoid problems in the fleshing process (which I’ll demonstrate in a minute).

After brushing our cat, hang it up (if you like this method) about eye level.

Just like with the fox, insert your blade at the heel pad with the blade up. On cats, I like to cut just into the white part (on the belly side) when I make the incision to the vent. You’ll see why when we get to the stretching process.

Do the same on the other side.

When I get to the crotch, I want to connect my two cuts below the anus, more between the legs than toward the tail. This helps preserve some of the white belly during the stretching procedure.

Once I’ve connected the two cuts, I clean up around the anus (and in this case, the female opening), because I’ll want to come back and collect these valuable glands in a minute.

Start a slit down the underside (white part) of the tail.

Using my trusty pliers again, I strip the tail from the bone.

Now you can pull the skin all the way down to the front shoulders.

Here, I use my sharpening steel as a rod to punch through in the fore part of the shoulders.

Be careful not to punch a hole in the skin (but if you do, I’m going to show you how to fix it).

Pull the leg skin down toward the foot, and cut the skin at the wrist. You’ll want these long “tubes” to really show off the forward part of the cat’s belly.

At this point, I turn the cat upside down, so the carcass is suspended below the fur.

This avoids any blood running down onto the fur.

Cut the ears off at the butts, and pull forward to the eyes.

Carefully cut around the eyes, and pull the skin forward to the nose.

Pull the skin free. Again, your skin should be blood free and ready for fleshing.