Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 17:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2007, 22:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Is it just me or does it take really long to flesh/round beaver . what is a faster way or am I just too picky and get all the fat and meat. takes me couple of hours. and also I have skun many beaver yet still takes an hour to do a large one or am I just slow small ones only take 15 minutes or less but the 40 and up take an hour and the 80 lb one I got took from first foot off to freezer one hour and fifteen minutes any one got some tips to make it faster for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2007, 23:50 
I got a tip from some crazy farmer in Vermont about case skinning them first, and then fleshing them case skinned, then cut them open to round them out on a board. I got one roadkill this year, did it that way, and I have to say, it shaved quite a bit of time off my fleshing, but did not save me time on skinning the thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2007, 06:40 
Trapper
Trapper

We all wish it did not take so long to skin beaver,but being picky is a good thing when it comes time to sell them.I used to clean skin all my beaver and then changed over to doing them on the fleshing beam and both ways for me take about the same time.In my case a blanket beaver(50lbs and up) from first cut until he is on the board takes 2hrs.With that said all my beaver get top prices because the buyers love the way they look when finished.I think some day it would be good to work with my fur buyer for a few days to learn all the short cuts,because i have seen times when they have hundreds of critters all in the round they have to skin and put up.Cant imagine it takes them as long as it does me.
Griz

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2007, 06:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I case skinned one along time ago and agree it was hard but I did cut up the legs and was docked for that. this gives me an idea to sew up the middle as you nail the edges any ways I may try this but it adds a step too so maby I will just keep pllugging away at it . since I am catching two to three aday I don't have much time I will have to stop trapping to really get them fleshed.