Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 10:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2007, 02:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ok heres the deal, on a private chunk of land i trap it has real bad drainage problems. the soil would appear to be mostly clay. and it has rained here once a week since season started to all most every day i have to chisle frozen dirt off the traps salt and most anitfreeze wont work once it gets wet since it just melts away, wax paper just gets soggy and kinda stays that way.so i have missed a ton of good fur due to frozen traps on this land. so i had a not so bright idea of putting the traps in a half gallon zip lock bag i figure this way the dirt cant get wet and run down and freeze the trap soild ,but i dont know if this is such a great idea i have no idea what would happen once a cacth is made. i wonder if it would allow them to pull out or what?this is day one for the baggies so i geuss i will let ya'll know how it works out. has any one of ya'll every done this? have any luck doing it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2007, 02:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Using a baggie is a good idea,I use a small unsented garbage bag they are thinner than a zip lock bag.You will still have freeze up of dirt over the top of the bag so be careful how deep your cover dirt is.You will not have anymore pull outs than normal as long a a frozen chunk of dirt does not get stuck in the jawsWhite garbage bags work great in the snow but i try to let mother nature cover them up when it snows,I just dont seam to be able to handle snow with out it freezing up over the trap and making a hard crust.
Griz

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2007, 09:00 
Griz is right. I usually use the cheapo thin foldover sandwich bags. Thinner=better, but still does the same thing. Griz is also right about your cover dirt freezing if too thick. I recommend covering with coverhulls, and then just a light powdering of peatmoss to hold them in place, and then some grass clippings from your yard to blend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2007, 11:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

whats this ? everyone is all ready useing bags to cover up traps. man i am behind the times...lol. hey you guys have been holding out on me what else do you have up your sleeve? lol well i am gald i am not alone in this after all, sounds like good results are there so i am going to have to do all my traps like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2007, 17:12 
Trapper
Trapper

lol.....you gotta' get out more Warcraft :P

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2007, 02:26 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

your right smitty i do..lol the only place's i go is work and the woods.