Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 08:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Duke vs. Victor
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 20:17 
Trapper
Trapper

I havent trapped in about 15 years. I used to be an avid trapper and I remember using all Victor traps. I am now thinking of getting back in it and cant believe the price of traps these days. I have noticed the price of Duke traps are about half that of Victors. Are the Duke traps just as good as the Victors? I want to get the best value possible but dont want to lose fur due to an inferior trap. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 20:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Victors are extremely good traps and if you are looking for some to last a long time then that is the way to go. If you are looking to trap just every now and then, dukes are good traps, just not built like Victors but will still hold about anything. Both bodygrips are really good in my opinion. I use both and have never had a problem with either but the victor just looks and feels better built.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 20:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I agree but you can modify abit and you will have to on some duke traps I have found that the pan can some times keep the lock down and with offset jaws coon will easily pull out with little to no effort you may have to grind the pan on the sides or make the pan not so loose but this may limit what you catch or may make it more selective on what you catch . I now prefer no offset jaws I don't like to modify traps much and and if you want the cheaper ones you could weld a tad bit as they are spot welded they would last longer I did and will do all of them I have duke and victor traps for leg holds they will all need work from time to time .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 20:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

dukes have never done me wroung, and i trust them

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 21:41 
Trapper
Trapper

Ahhh Warcraft....so we meet again :wink: ( I hear the theme song for the Good the Bad & the Ugly :P )

Dukes & some vice are made from what I consider "thin" material, especially for the pricetag of some of those Vics :shock:

Look into the Bridgers, more than Dukes, less than Vics, but built better than both, very much like the old Northwoods.

What size traps are you looking at?

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 21:59 
Trapper
Trapper

Well, I'm planning on running about 24-36 traps for about 4 weeks each year. Because of my work schedule I cant take advantage of most of the season. So these traps wont be used real hard. Mostly coon, mink, rats, and fox in my area. In Ohio I dont think I can use Coni's any bigger than 110 on land. So body traps are out for coon. Used to have good luck with 1.5 Victor coilsprings on coon and fox but cosidered them too big for rats and mink. Am I off on this? Seems like the 1.5 coil spring is my best bet and maybe a doz. 110's. I'll also make a few colony traps my self.
Another question: In what situation is the longspring more ideal than the coil spring. Isnt the coil spring versatile in all appplications?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 08:01 
Trapper
Trapper

#1.5's aren't too big for rats & mink, I even use some #2's. The larger trap quickens drowning the catch. Just be sure you have them set on drowing wires/cables.

I use alot of longs n the water. With the spring pulled back it adds alittle stability. It's a personal choice as far as long vs. coil. On land, you're just digging a smaller trapbed for a coil.

Smitty

a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 10:28 
Trapper
Trapper

Dont be a bit worried about loosing fur in a duke trap they are a good trap.It seems to me that people just dont like duke because of there price tag.I have had 4 pullouts this year and they have all been out of high dollar traps,not victors but high dollar.

fox 5
skunk 2
grinners 3
Thanks Donnie& TY

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 12:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

hello smitty, nice to hear from you again. i love my dukes they have held everything that got into them, sure i would love a bunch of bridgers(who wouldnt) but i cant afford them, do i think dukes are the best trap? no i really dont but they are a good trap and have never falied me not even once. heck if i had it my way i would own nothing but bridgers, but the wife aint letting me have that kind of money, but i do tend to think duke is way better than any vic i have ever used, i hate those things

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 13:02 
Trapper
Trapper

I`m new here and don`t know alot about trapping next to all of you but I have something to say about new traps.......Duke is made in Korea, Bridger-Taiwan, Montana Special-China.
I`m
not saying if these traps are better than others or not, what we Americans
need
to do is to support American Trap Makers before we see no traps flying the
Red White & Blue, Made In The U.S.A. sticker.
Can
we take this topic in a peaceful manner and talk about pros-cons of the traps
American and Asia.
Belisle falls into the U.S.A in my mind.
I
am going to buy some new traps and want to buy the best trap but also would like it to be a U.S.A built trap.
Your
Dad, Uncle, Friend or Neighbor may be building American Traps.
I
hope this post will be okay to talk about in this section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 13:55 
Trapper
Trapper

lol....there's little you can find that's still made in this country......it's mostly been sold-out to cheap labor.

I'll tell you why I'd never own another duke. They have produced thousands of traps then knew were junk, PURE junk, like their #11's. They'd either blow-up in your hands (as happened to me) or the ones that would stay together would warp the frames right in front of your eyes, also my own personal experience.

Now, you can't tell me duke didn't know this before they shipped ALL those traps to the stores (or from their own warehouse) to be sold to unsuspecting trappers....they knew it. Did they recall them? Nope....why do you think they didn't? Because some newbie unsuspecting kid wanting to get into trapping would buy them, they wouldn't work, so the kid throws them down, and probably leaves trapping, never to try again because of it & the hoseing he took on the traps.

I have NO problem with anyone who says "there all I can afford", or "they're disposible" (as in high theft areas)......but for anyone to say they are the "best" traps made.....hogwash. I think there's alot of young trappers who need to learn the value of a dollar, and how to invest their money wisely. Young trappers are EXTREMELY impressionable, which is something many forget.

This is the reason I left Traps 4 Kids....duke donates traps to them, and because I would explain some of the problems with them (traps) when it came up, I was asked to "keep my opinions to myself" by a moderator, because of dukes donations. I told him he was nothing more than a "trap-ho" and I would solve the problem & left the site. I received several emails & PM's from kids wanting me to come-back, but I explained why I wouldn't (and haven't). I donated traps, gave items away, I would fix/modify kids traps at no charge, and pay the return shipping from my own pocket. I didn't throw-around the kind of $$ duke does (lol, cause I ain't got it :wink: ), so they're more of an asset to the site than I was. I also told the same Moderator that he was doing a huge disservice to those young trappers, who one day would learn better on their own. Hopefully I didn't cost them too much in the process.

I don't knock anyone who uses them, I just think they are the lowest quality trap you can buy, and that is reflected by their price. And I won't support any company who knowingly ships-out junk to be sold.

Have a nice day :D
Smitty

a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 14:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

8) ... i beleive you smitty...lol but they are decent andi cant afford much. and they do work

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 14:53 
1: I love Duke
2: Never had a problem with my newer dukes
3: 6 years ago, had a problem with some old #2's -- Got some more for free, no problems.
4: Would never own another victor ever again
5: Would never own another bridger again.
6: Would never own another montgomery again.
7: Running Duke Traps for near a decade - No problems here. Plenty of fur. Only pull outs I had were my fault because of how I had my trap bedded (not solid so not a good catch).
8: Smitty, :P I'll remember to bury you with your bridgers....set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 15:26 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Robert wrote:
I`m new here and don`t know alot about trapping next to all of you but I have something to say about new traps.......Duke is made in Korea, Bridger-Taiwan, Montana Special-China.
I`m
not saying if these traps are better than others or not, what we Americans
need
to do is to support American Trap Makers before we see no traps flying the
Red White & Blue, Made In The U.S.A. sticker.
Can
we take this topic in a peaceful manner and talk about pros-cons of the traps
American and Asia.
Belisle falls into the U.S.A in my mind.
I
am going to buy some new traps and want to buy the best trap but also would like it to be a U.S.A built trap.
Your
Dad, Uncle, Friend or Neighbor may be building American Traps.
I
hope this post will be okay to talk about in this section?

Can you tell me that EVERYTHING that you own is MADE IN USA? I mean EVERYTHING.......I buy Dukes , old Victors , and Sleepy Creeks....I like ALL of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 15:58 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I buy what best suites me and i buy the best product i can afford for the price. Buy American is a great idea but in a global market, either you build a good product for a competitive price or you go out of business. Its not my job to spend more so that someone overcharging for labor or a product can stay in business. Id be willing to bet that the "American " traps are not made totally of american made steel. Most import steels are just as good and cheaper and to stay in business you save where you can. JMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 16:25 
Highview makes a good point. How does that quote go in Armageddon? That russian guy Lev says: Excuse me, but I think I know how to fix this, and the other astronaut says, "You don't know the components" and he throws the astronaut out of the way and shouts, "American Components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAI-WAN!" And he starts whaling on the thing with a wrench when the system comes back up (for other reasons) and he thinks he fixed it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 16:57 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey coony no need to sound like your on the attack. We can`t buy all U.S.A. made stuff but I do try to buy all I can, tools and boots being first on the list.
Anyway
my post was to get a well rounded view of people thoughts and I didn`t say America or Asia made traps one way or the other.
And
if the (Duke, Victor) traps were equal in every way but the price I got the $40 extra to buy the dz. Victors.

highview, That is a great reply, thank you.
I
just get wound up seeing our jobs flushed down the toilet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 17:59 
Trapper
Trapper

if i were to pick each one for the other, and the price tag, i would say dukes, because every store like Gander Mtn., cabelas, ect.... i always see almost all duke traps and a few bridgers and victors. But i have always stuck to duke and if your a penny pitcher like me, duke is the way to go, their traps never let me down, its either still set, or a coon, mink, or muskrat waiting for me to take er out so i would stay with the dukes, but if you have the money, vics and bridgers are probally your best bet, but for the cheap money, them dukes pack a punch :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 18:22 
Victor trap quality has gone downhill since they sold their contract. IMO, I would rather buy a bridger over a victor.

I CAN afford expensive traps. I have purchased expensive traps. I have then sold the expensive traps. I CHOOSE Duke not for the money but for the quality of trap. John loves victors, but he also has more pullouts than me, and more junked traps at the end of the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 18:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

im in the same boat wondering which traps are better but i dont view the american bit the same we pay for the politicians to sit and govern our country and how hard would it be to raise the import tariffs on foreign products huh they could keep the economy high and the jobs here hell they give tax breaks to foreign people to come over here and train for our higher paying jobs hell look at it we payed to train the 911 pilots to learn to fly our planes during the greatest airstrike ever besides pearl harbor why blame the other countries wed sell our sh** over there if it was the same.
i talk from experience i worked at 2 companies that stayed till there tax breaks were up then moved to mexico who writes these tax breaks, make them pay them then if they stay 10 years give them a break or lower there overhead and run a sucessful company like it used to be in america
sorry dint mean to spam the post its just a touchy subject when youve been thru it

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 20:54 
Trapper
Trapper

That's OK Warcraft & 'Lil.....I still love you guys :wink:

'Lil Bit

1- You're twisted, and female....which is a redundant statement :D

2- Gee.....as old as you are??? :roll:

3-You trapped in 6th grade??? :?

4-Why, they're pretty much an overpriced Duke :P

5- That's just because you can't get the pink dye to stick to 'em :(

6- You gotta be smarter than the trap :o

7- Hmmmm, carrying Duke traps in your dirty-diaper bag, great idea!! :mrgreen:

8-Who said you'll be invited to my funeral??? SMOOTCHIES!! :)

I used to be one of them "buy American" types, and if you can afford it & choose to do it, I say good for you. This of course was before $15,000 vehicles began costing $30,000......and everything else followed suite.

Here's something to think about.......what is the largest (in numbers) brand of traps you see getting put up for sale?? dukes.....

Again, use them if you want, buy as many of them as you want......just stock-up on band-aids & replacement springs :wink:

Smitty

a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 23:54 
1- You're twisted, and female....which is a redundant statement

*preen* you're always such a flatterer...

2- Gee.....as old as you are???

I know, I'm like... totally ancient.

3-You trapped in 6th grade???

I trapped in second grade. Technically, I trapped pre-natal because my mom was trapping when she was pregnant with me *preen* So yeah, I totally rock your world. It's okay, you don't have to ask. I'll give you an autograph gratis. :twisted:

4-Why, they're pretty much an overpriced Duke

actually, they're more like an overpriced bridger.

5- That's just because you can't get the pink dye to stick to 'em

Not true. But what's the point of dying something that's already gay, pink?

6- You gotta be smarter than the trap

Then how do you manage?

7- Hmmmm, carrying Duke traps in your dirty-diaper bag, great idea!!

Better than smelling like a diaper bag, Smitty.

8-Who said you'll be invited to my funeral??? SMOOTCHIES!!

Sweetheart, I'll be the one planning it. ;) :P God I love you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2007, 01:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

you guys crack me up....lol and yes i love ya to smitty. ya know i was sitting here thinking about the "i only want to buy made in the usa stuff " that someone said and i got to thinking is anything really made in the u.s any more?i cant think of much here at my house that is truly made in the u.s and everything i do have that says it seems to fall apart faster than the "other stuff"(i can all most hear the rope getting tossed up in a tree for saying that)but its true or at least it seems that way its like my car i have a 2005 ford tarus s.e that only has 30.000 miles on it and it mess's up once a month. i also have a 1986 honda civic that i run to work and to the trapline everyday not only that it has never broke down on me but it has only had a few things reaplaced and still runs well, now i aint looking for a fight or nothing but its food for thought i geuss.all my overseas crap still works like it should and everything else ..... well it just dont work

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2007, 08:58 
Well, just remember, most foreign cars are still assembled in the US. The design and company may be Japan, but the car itself was assembled in a plant in WV or KS or wherever.

The big problem with buying American is that for the American companies to remain competitive, and still comply with all of the ISO9000 regulations, and labor laws, and tax laws, they have to trim the cost somewhere, and it usually lies in the materials they use or the methods they use to render those materials. It's the only way they can remain competitive.

Other countries are able to utilize labor forces that we cannot, however unethical it may be. They don't have the taxes we do, they don't have the labor laws we do, and they don't have the quality regulations that we do. So, they're able to put more money into materials and processes and STILL keep their costs low and competative. It sucks, but it's true.

As far as just buying American, you start to walk that dangerous line of exclusionism. If everyone bought American, imports would drop. If imports dropped, then other countries would start to do the same, boycotting what they could that was American. That means our exports would drop. We wouldn't be able to get a lot of what we needed, there would be an embargo set in place, and we'd be looking at a huge political international situation that could result in more military action. It is not a good thing. There are things we need from other countries, and vice versa. Trade with other countries has been necessary and in place since before Christ.

There are bigger problems in this country than worrying about whether or not that shirt you're wearing says 'made in china'. Most of those jobs yo want to support have been taken by illegal immigrants. That's a bigger problem. Most of the people who need those jobs that have been taken by illegal immigrants don't have homes, because the low-income housing is being filled up by dozens of families from Mexico, Brazil and Cambodia. The struggle to keep costs down by getting cheap daylabor has thrust the blue-collar laborer down from lower middle income to lower lower income, and the minimum wage in this country still puts you in the 'Poverty' category. Sorry. I'd rather wear Chinese Cotton, knowing that Levi's is selling China 60 dollar jeans (where we only have to pay 15), and worry about what's going on right here at home. The only unfair trade that concerns me is the fact that we keep getting all of these illegal immigrants, but no one is leaving the US....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2007, 09:46 
Trapper
Trapper

Okay, we are still talking about traps.
What is the difference between the Duke #110 and the #110 Mag.? Is it as simple as a stronger spring?

I`m the one hollering for America. I said I "try to buy U.S.A." when I can.