Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 13:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fleshing coon???
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 17:57 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

How far do you scrape the hide on a coon I got all the big chucks of fat and meat off. Do I keep on scraping off or do I jus wash and let dry? Thanks again!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 18:00 
Trapper
Trapper

All fat and meet must be removed from coon :( Coon hides seem to me to be very tough and you can really scrape pretty hard becareful on the belly around the nipples.

fox 5
skunk 2
grinners 3
Thanks Donnie& TY

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 21:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Start by fleshing 5-6" all the way around the bottom. This way you won't have a ton of fat greasin' up the bottom of the fur.

Then start just below their ears (this is where you need a Necker-type knife with 1-side sharp). Most of the grissel is between the ears & shoulders, sometimes at the base of the tail also. This is the process most pelts are cut. Practice on the smaller/damaged ones....and know you'll damage a few yourself, just don't let it upset you....just part of it. And as mentioned, watch for the teets.

Once you get close to the shoulders, you should be able to push the rest of the fat off with the dull side of the knife. Once you reach a few inches from the bottom (where you fleshed at the beginning), the fat will fall off freely.

You don't want to scrape so far you see the hair follicles, you just want to remove any meat & fat (below the ears).

If mine need washed, I wash them with the spray nozzle & gargen hose after skinning them. I wring most of the water out of them, swing 'em around a few times by the nose, then hang overnight, fur-out) to dry. When you're ready to skin, toss 'em in the freezer 15 minutes before you skin, this will solidify the fat so it isn't as "oily", and will help it push-off easier.

Then it can go straight to the stretcher.

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 02:03 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

coon is the only fur I don't flesh and dry I don't like the greeeezzzy stuff although I really don't know how much more you get it may be worth the effort any one know the price difference.I have fleshed them but used a board and scraped it was a male so had no issues with cutting the nipple maby I should have posted this differently any ways I do agree about do the bottem first then back to the top and work down oh they are greezy.