Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 15:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: muskrat experiment
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2006, 13:43 
Trapper
Trapper

I have been reading a lot about beaver, and see so many baited trigger sets on conni's, that i just had to try it. I have 4 110's out with apple chunks on the trigger. One night out with no success, but bubbles have led to the set. Maybe they will comfy upo to it and take it soon. My dad thinks im nuits, and i will post the results after a few days of them sitting out. Anyone tried this for rats?

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2006, 15:00 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey whats up its been awhile people seem to be slowing down a bit on here,makes for a boring evening.My son has spent the week with his mom for christmas break so no one around to keep me company so I rely on the computer alot.To answer your question people do bait 110 triggers for rats but with mixed results :? I have had a float out baited with apples for a few days now with no luck,but still pick up a few in bank dens but not alot.We have rats around here but are hard to locate and basicaly they live in the rivers and not in the ponds as when I was a kid.How about them beaver yoou were chasing anymore action there?

fox 5
skunk 2
grinners 3
Thanks Donnie& TY

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2006, 16:05 
Trapper
Trapper

Baited sets work very good under the ice for rats.Alot of guys use bait above a lonspring trap thats attached to a small board the rat tries to use it for leverage to get to the bait and steps on the pan.I used 110s last rat season in a marsh with lots of huts and baited with white placking peanuts and it worked great but had a hard time with keeping them attched,and had to rebait everytime.I plan on using the same set up but change to white plastic that I can attach better to the triggers.I am still working on my set layout and think it will work better than my buddies using longsprings because they have lots of misses. They cant put enough pressure on the pan the way they have them set up and the 110s never missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2007, 22:22 
Trapper
Trapper

ya i always bait my conis and coil springs. i never unbait a coni and with i put apple next to or behind the coils if im setting next to a den. griz ur buddy may have problems with not setting the trap off because they may be old or need the dog screw loosened. i have special rat coils that are set as lil pressure as possible.