Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 20:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: teach me please
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 20:26 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

hey all

I'v got a problem with a coyote at my cabin and need to get rid of him.

so could any of you folks teach me how to trap one????

I have absolutly no idea how so you need to be very disciptuve.

thanks in advance

Pike

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 20:50 
Trapper
Trapper

Pikeslayer
You are dealing with what some call one of the smartest and toughest critters to trap.I doubt someone could talk you through this from start to finish. Your idea of having someone teach you is your best bet,there is a lot to learn.

I am sure if you posted your general location on this board and asked for help any good trapper would be willing to help.
If you are an animial activiest and trying to trick people into being very descriptive, you might want to find a different forum. If I am incorrect,welcome aboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 21:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Do you have a place were you put your scraps and such? That is a good place to start at. Also look and trap along trails and such.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 21:41 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I understand coyote movements and habitat, I am a seasoned northerner. how ever I am not a trapper. I live in northern Sask.

What I need is to learn how to set a trap. how to hide it etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2006, 01:39 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Here is a picture of a trap before and after I covered it...

Here is another...

I use a peat moss and the dirt there mixture. I then add stuff that looks natural to it to blend it in. The first one the spot already was bare when I got to it so I left it that way. When an animal is digging, it wants to step somewhere it knows is solid such as open ground rather than a bunch of leaves, even though they will if they have to.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2006, 08:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Though trapping isn't near as dangerous as handling a weapon, as in hunting, I'd still suggest you familiarize yourself with the Trapping Regulations & traps before you attempt what you are wanting to do.

I say this for a number of reasons, choice of proper equipment, scent elemination on your traps, proper way to make sets as well as different types of sets, use of lures & baits, avoiding non-target catches, and the list goes on.

There are trappers who've tried to catch coyoyte with no success. and it would be nearly impossible for someone to explain that to you in a post. If you're currently dealing with 1 coyote, shoot it & be done.

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2006, 11:14 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

hey Smit eaiser said then done, he/they are sneaky little *******!!!!!

you can hear them in the yard late at night, but by the time you get out of bed and shine a light they're gone.

every time I come back there, there are fresh tracks around the place.

I am worried about myproperty, we have a huge screened in deck and I don't want them tearing the screen.

Had the same problem with bears and squirrels but an electric fence and snare lines have cured those problems. (over 40 squirrels in 3 years amazing).

My place is situated in dense boreal forest so watching and waitng for them is nearly imposible, the reason I go there is for the sleep I get so me waitng all night and shooting them seems counter productive.

My choices are to get a local trapper in to get them but I would prefer not to have that kind of traffic around my place. I understand that you guys practice a very skilled trade that take years to perfect, I was just lookinf for maybe a " quick dirty " way of getting these yotes.

Once again thank you guys for you time

Pike

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2006, 11:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Place your trap in there usual track places. Don't have to use bait. Is there anything around there you know there eating?

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2006, 17:31 
Trapper
Trapper

Contact the President of your State Trapping Association, see if there's a local trapper in your area. Explain your situation. Not sure what you meant by "traffic"....lol, but I trap alone (as many trappers do).

You can buy a cheap howler & try your luck at calling them in. I wouldn't think they'd want onto your back porch, unless there was a food-source they were after. If you're familar with snaring, you could go that route.

Still, quickest way (because of your lack of trapping experience) would be shooting them. Consider my 1st suggestion (contacting your State TA)...if a trapper came-out, sounds to me like you have a bit of an interest in trapping, have him show what he's doing & ask why. Then you can arm yourself with the knowledge to trap them yourself.

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"