Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 20:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Need Some Advice
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 12:28 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I've just started trapping this year..I learned some of the basics from my dad and uncle. However I am not having ver much luck catching coons... I basically run 220's and foot sets....Anybody have some advice for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 13:17 
Where are you from and whre are you trapping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 13:37 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

i live in central illinois and i trap creeks that are on field edges and timberlines

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 13:43 
2 things:

Have you taken a beginner trappers education course? You can learn much from those and they're required if you are to trap property other than your own.

What kind of bait have you been trying so far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 13:49 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

ive been following advice from my dad but im not having any luck and im using fatal attraction

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 13:55 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I'm no professional but now I like to trap trails. Along your creek you will have some high banks and if you look close you will see they have been walking the edges rather than going on the high bank and coming down. Place some traps in the edge of it and you have a dang good chance at coon and mink. If you walk the edges, look at were they have been going along the creek and trap areas were water goes over the rocks. If you have a tree that has fallen down across the creek, chop you a chunk out of it with a hatchet or ax big enough for your trap. Place trap in and put mud and leaves around it to cover, you don't have to cover trap perfect as they don't know the trap is there and won't be looking as hard as you are at it. That goes for all the sets I told you. If you have sycamore trees along your creek, you should have large roots going into the water. You can place snares and chop chunks out of it for footholds just like the log. I have had success with all of these and maybe you will to. I use no bait.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 13:58 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

thank you for the tip Ty

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 14:05 
Bucket sets with 220's work well for raccoons. Put a chunk of carp in the back of the bucket, and put a 220 over the hole. Nothing fancy, just simple.

However, I sitll recommend that you take a beginner trapper's education course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 14:12 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

thank you but this is for my friend he doesnt have a computer but needed some advice and he has taken the course and said it was helpful but he still cant catch them

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 15:31 
Trapper
Trapper

ya just scoot up and down the creek and if you look, youll see trails everywhere up along the bank, stick a couple 220s in the trails, and sit back, have a beer, and rack in the coons, works to for mink if ur lucky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 15:52 
Trapper
Trapper

Lair08
If you are anything like me,Showing is better than telling.My best advice is to take one day and walk a trapline with a trapper.You will gain a mountain of ideas.
GL
Griz

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 16:59 
Trapper
Trapper

Follow 'lil bits advice (geesh, did I just say that??? :twisted: ). Not only for the educational side, but you'll also meet some local trappers. Most of the trapper ed. classes have demonstrations where you can actually watch them make a set. They don't mind someone asking questions.

Go with your buddy, maybe the 2 of you can share a trapline.

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 03:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have found that if you are trying to use a 220 on a creek bank you need to find where there is some cover where there going through like grass . or a narrowing spot might be a log with a big enough spot there passing through but try to find a spot that conceals the frame of the conibear somewhat your luck should change. too maney times I can see that they have went around the trap . scent they can smell good and if they are busy with other things like grass or the such and the trap doesn't stick out like a sore thumb . I just caught a mink in a 220 that was on a small stream about 2 feet wide. there was a tree next to it with a bush that concealed my trap frame . I actually do expect to catch another there or even a coon. I also have the trigger on the bottem as I don't want the mink to just scoot under it. I have caught in the past mink this way not many but enough that I will keep doing this .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2007, 05:43 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

On the land that I own I leave my buckets out year round. It gets the mink and coon used to them and they naturally investigate the odors from old bait and lure. Of course you cant set a trap in the bucket until legal trapping season. If its legal where you live you could occasionally add fish heads etc to your buckets to keep them coming back. :D