Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 07:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Trapper
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 15:08 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

hi my name is brent I am 15 years old,I reaently bought over $160 worth of traps and equipment I love hunting and the outdors

I was woundering if you could give me some tips so i can trap coyote, fox ,fisher, mink ,coons, muskrat, to the best of my abulities

new trapper ,brent

Last edited by new trapper on 06 Sep 2006, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Trapper
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 15:28 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

new trapper wrote:
hi my name is brent I am 15 years old,I reaently bought over $160 worth of traps and equipment I love hunting and the outdors

I was woundering if you could give me some tips so i can trap to the best of my abulities

new trapper ,brent

Hi Brent! Welcome to the forum. Feel free to post any questions you might have, there are some pretty good trappers hanging around here that I am sure could answer your questions. You might want to start out by going to our Tips page here-- http://www.wild-about-trapping.com/tips/.

I would also check out Traps4kids.com. There is a ton of good information there for beginning trappers. http://www.traps4kids.com/

Good luck on your trap line this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 15:34 
Trapper
Trapper

Welcome Brent I think you will have a great time trapping and your timing couldn't be better furs are up in price now. Now heres the reality check you bought 160 dollars in gear the furs you catch will only bring 159 dollars :lol: just kidding. Trapping is great but is a hard way to make money. Keep your eyes open for sign whenever your out in the wild. Try to look at things from the animals perspective when you understand what and why they do things they become much easier to catch. One thing if you are after rats every predator likes to eat rats so they like to be under cover whenever possible or to have an open path to dive in the water. Look for sheltered nooks along the banks and rats almost always use them. Theres lots of stuff like this I could go on and on but I don't know what you'll be trapping for. Pm me if you'd like to ask more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 16:13 
Most states require that you take a trappers education course in order to get a trapping license. But, they also have junior licenses for kids under the age of 15. The good thing is that they're cheaper. The bad thing is that most of the time, you need to be in the accompanyment of a parent or guardian witha trapping license to run the line.

Check on your state's regulations, and enroll in a Trappers Education Course. You'll learn quite a bit, and make lasting friendships. Also, look into a mentoring program through either the Trappers Education program, or your State Association. You can read about a lot, but having someone actually show you is worth it's weight in gold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 18:15 
Trapper
Trapper

what are ya aiming to trap? would be best to find a local to show ya. I dont know anyone up in new brunswick to hook ya up with. ya might do a search for the new brunswick trappers assoc. hope this helps ya and welcome :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 18:21 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Good idea Mink. Here's a link-- http://www.nbtrappers.ca/