Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 04:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mink sets
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 17:47 
Trapper
Trapper

If any of you guys have alot of expierience in mink trapping, could you post a couple pictures of your sets or really good advise to me, anything would be great, thanks

Rack Em' and keep Stackin Em'

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2006, 12:55 
Trapper
Trapper

Born2trap I dont catch mink myself but my friend does and he uses the pocket set.He uses 1. 5 dukes and makes a pocket baited with suckers or other junk fish.He puts his trap in about an inch of water and he hides it by putting very fine dust on it,this looks like settiment when hes done.I dont think we have many mink here but I could be wrong.If the mink population were better this set would be great.You could also use 110s but u should probably use a belly wire on them.I have read that an experiment was done and a mink walked through a conny 33 time before triggering it.Like I said Im not good at mink yet and dont know alot first hand but I read everyday about trapping methods.I hope this helps and good luck.

fox 5
skunk 2
grinners 3
Thanks Donnie& TY

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2006, 21:56 
Trapper
Trapper

Ya thats what ive been using and it works really good, i had one set out about a week ago and i just felt like ghoin down and checkin my set out, come to find out, i dint have my 1.5 set light enough and my sardines were ate right up in the pocket, also i found mink tracks around my set so ill nail him this time.

Rack Em' and Stack Em'

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2006, 22:27 
Trapper
Trapper

The best way to set up your trap for mink is with a hair trigger. I use what is called night latching. Or i will trim the dog down. But this does come with some disadvantages rain will fire traps, frost will fire traps So if you do these things and your trap is fired alot with nothing in it this is why. But if you dont the tension is hard to get just right for mink.

Last edited by deerhunter65347 on 24 Dec 2006, 16:13, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2006, 08:05 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I prefer a pocket set, baited with muskrat or fish remains, guarded with a 1 1/2 coilspring trap in deeper waters, if water is shallow where drowning isnt possible I use a stoploss style trap. Works for me I hope it helps you. :D