Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 15:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coon in #1 LS
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 23:05 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey guys I was wondering if #1 longsprings are big enough traps to hold coons? I bought and used a bunch for muskrats this year but our muskrat season is over and I was wondering if I could use any of these for coon. I have both double jaw and regular jaw. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Coon in #1 LS
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 10:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Being up there where you are I would not feel comfortable holding a northern coon in a #1 LS. I wont use them around here and our coons dont get that big. Thats just me I would not trust the #1 to hold my coons, others may tell you different. Smallest I use is #11 DLS. Good Luck, Cschuetz

Grey Fox-4
Rats-1.75

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 11:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I dont use many of them anymore but have in the past. Water sets then I'd rig drowners, land sets heavy/bulky drags. They will hold coon's without drowning rigs but the rigs help. Auxilary springs($8?/dz) that slip in the existing ones will help. When I had to use them I also moved the swivel/j hook etc over to the open/non jaw side. The coon etc then pulls into the spring instead of away/pulls to the strong side. I like at least 2 swivels, j hook etc at the trap and one at the stake etc minimum. I do these same modifications to 1 1/2 LS too. If you have time you can turn the no.1 single LS's into no.11's for coon's and convert them back later after season/summer? Ive held many red fox, greys and coons in no.1 single springs so they will do the job just a few better options out there( I had a no.1 Gibbs that held some of my first reds before "I knew better") . Having said that if I had no choice I'd use them again. On down the road if you have the extra cash replacement springs arent really high and you could turn each one into a no.11 and convert them back for rats(saving the new spring for your coon line)? Good Luck Rumors of some advancement in coon prices too!

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 12:15 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey thanks backwoodsman. Thats a good idea moving the swivel over to the open side, Im gonna try that. Good to hear coon prices might be on the rise too cause I have a freezer full. Its been below freezing for the past week or so here and our coon season ends the 21st so hopefully it warms up some before then and I can get a couple more

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 14:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

like was said,reverse the chain to the non-spring end,let the coon pull into the power of the spring.used #1ls for years,also #1 jumps never had a problem.same with #1 1/2ls and jumps.

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 16:48 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey thanks cooncrazy, sounds like good advice

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 23:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Warm spells do seem to get them up and moving. Hope you dull your skinning knife every day. :wink:

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada