Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 05:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Used trap prices
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 10:02 
Trapper
Trapper

In anybody's or everybody's opinion, what are good used trap prices. I may have a source in Iowa to buy some used traps from, and my buddy that would be picking them up for me (he goes there almost every weekend) asked me what kind of prices I would be willing to pay. I have heard for 110's a decent price for a dozen is around $30. I would also like to get some 220's and a few 330's. I think I am going to buy all of my coyote traps new, but if I can get the body grips at a decent price I will do that. Can anybody help me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 10:14 
It all depends on the condition of the traps, the strength of the springs, the brands of the traps, etc.

My rule of thumb is that I won't buy the trap used unless I can get it for half of the price of a new one. Anything more than that, it's worth it to buy them new.

For example, you can buy a dozen NEW duke 110's for 29.95. A dozen NEW duke 220's for 79.95, and a dozen NEW duke 330's for 146.95. So unless you can get those dozen 110's for 15.00, the 220's for 40.00 and the 330's for 75.00, I wouldn't buy them.

I get my dukes from cocalamuscreeksupplies.com Really good trap prices, and they don't stick it to you on shipping. :) And if you do MinnTrapProd.com, you pay a little more for the traps, but if you spend 100 dollars, shipping is free. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 10:17 
Trapper
Trapper

I think part of me would be in a trap if my wife found out I spent over $100 on traps to start out with. I didn't realize I could get new 110's for $30. Maybe I understood wrong :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 10:24 
No, I'm sure you understood them correctly. The problem is, most trappers want New money for Old traps. And that's their perogative. :) For example, I'm going to be getting rid of some Victor #2 sq jaws this year as I have waaaay too many to run them all. They're a good coon/mink trap. But for the unmodified, I'm only going to be asking 4 bucks a piece for them because I know you can get a better, NEW #2 duke for 7 dollars a piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 10:31 
Trapper
Trapper

For right now I think I am going to stick with mostly body grip traps for everything but coyote. It is VERY personal with them. Is a #3 a good trap to use or just the average? Like I said, it is PERSONAL :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 11:04 
A #3 is fine for coyote, but you have to think that you may catch the occassional fox. For fox, a #3 can be a bit rough on them. You'd be better off with a #1.75 (my favorite size of trap because you can use it for just about everything short of beaver, otter and wolf), or a #2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 11:10 
Trapper
Trapper

Will a #1.75 or a #2 let very many coyotes out?? I would be pretty upset if I got to my trap in the morning and found a trap circle and no animal. I can see what you mean about the fox. I never see them in my area, but I know they are there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 13:15 
I've never lost a coyote out of a 1.75. And I've had a couple of pullouts on #2's, but they were my fault, not the trap's. I've never lost a yote out of a #3, but I have had to take EVERY fox and raccoon that I've caught in my #3's. I have not been able to release young ones for obvious reasons. That's why I only set #3's with a 4lb tension on the pan, so if a fox steps on it, it's not likely going to go off. I'm telling you, you won't be sorry with a 1.75 or 2. They're fantastic traps, and if you look at the pans, there's not much difference in size between them and a #3. Remember, springs aren't what give you holding power. It's how the levers ride up on the jaws. The 1.75's are a sharp trap, not literally, but figuratively. Very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 13:31 
Trapper
Trapper

And I imagine they are a little bit cheaper than #3's. I just might have to give them a try instead. Not only do I have to worry about foxes, but there are also dogs that run on this property :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 13:42 
I caught two large dogs this year in 1.75 footholds. It had a full catch. No paw damage, and was able to release the dogs unharmed. I love 1.75 offsets. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 13:46 
Trapper
Trapper

These are not domestic dogs that are running around, but I still hate to do anything but release them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 14:05 
The 1.75's won't harm them.And if you want to tie them up and call Animal Control, that is an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 20:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Feral dogs are some of the worst kind of predator. You would be best off to let animal control have at them for you. You are losing other animals due to those dogs whether you realize it or not. ON my farm there are a few and they reak havoc on deer fawns and our rabbits. GET RID OF THEM! Worse, ours don't really fear humans, i dunno about you but if one ever got ahold of my daughter....

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 20:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I understand the new price for old traps. I talked to a bunch of people before I found one that would sell me some for 4$ a peice and I was happy with that.