Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 01:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 15:28 
Trapper
Trapper

Here in Wv where I live we have a pretty fare amount of fisher but does anyone know how to find sign without snow?The 1 farm I trap on is a chicken farm and they have a place where they throw dead chickens will this attract fisher and would this be a good spot for a cubby.What call lure would work for a cubby?Any Ideas will help

fox 5
skunk 2
grinners 3
Thanks Donnie& TY

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 16:24 
It's an excellent spot to find fisher, but good luck getting them to respond to your trap and bait over the pile of dead chickens. You'd be better off going about 150 yards away from that and doing a leaning pole set. Problem? You can't use conibears on dryland sets, so you'll have to wire your footholds to the leaning tree. Fisher are not worried about what they step on.

Post subject: fisher questions
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 16:52 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

in regards to fisher sign, look near water or creeks for tracks, especially the day after a rain as you will be able to determine the freshness of the sign. Also look for scat on the trails and roads where you trap. Up here we find porky quills in the scat and deer fur making them easy to identify. As far as call lure my vote goes out to cavens GUSTO.many fox and our familys limit of 10 fisher fell to that skunky stuff this year. I hope this helps answer your questions. Good luck and be safe

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 17:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Find an old stump in the woods throw a piece of meat in it and set your leg hold. An old trapper told me this one and he also said they dont care were they step if they want that meat bad enough.

12 Coon
11 Mink
5 Beaver
2 Fisher
1 Otter
1 Wolf released