Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 12:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rat Trapping...
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2006, 16:57 
*biiiiiig sigh* Well, as most of you know, I'm in Massachusetts right now. Our traps are limited. Short of getting 10 day emergency permits and using conibears (which can be a pain in the patootie as you have to petition the board of health and all sorts of nonsense), we're restricted to using single-catch box traps, bailey and hancock type traps for beaver and otter, or wooden victor rat traps (unmodified).

So. I get to spend tonight hammering my trap registration number in the back of these wooden rat traps with the original triggers, to go trap muskrat this coming week. Yay... :P :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2006, 17:33 
Trapper
Trapper

what is that all about you only have 10 day trapping season. And you have to trap using the old rat traps for muskrat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2006, 21:11 
Actually, the way it works is I petition the board of health and they give mea 10 day emergency permit, during which time, I can use conibears. I got half way into the rat traps, got irritated, and have decided to go to the board of health on monday to get the permit. Too much hassle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2006, 21:52 
Trapper
Trapper

so can you tell me why there is such a problem with the 110 for muskrats. And what is the difference with the rat traps they do the same job. But id say the 110 kill faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2006, 23:21 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

deerhunter65347 wrote:
so can you tell me why there is such a problem with the 110 for muskrats. And what is the difference with the rat traps they do the same job. But id say the 110 kill faster.

Because Massachusetts is full of Kennedy liberals that thought it wise to ban trapping. Lot of good it did them. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2006, 06:43 
What KD said. My problem with the 110 is that I have to file a bunch of paper work, take pictures, prove that damage has been done and that it's a threat to property value or human health. Only then can I get an emergency permit to USE the 110's. The wooden rat traps are a pain in the kiester because you can't modify them, but when the wood gets wet, it warps, and the staples which hold the springs in place pop loose, so they're only good for a week, at best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2006, 08:05 
Trapper
Trapper

It seems to me you guys need a conservation commision. I cant beleive the health department Manages your trapping. I love missouri we have a commision that handles these problems. You guys ought to be over run by coons and rats. With restrictions like that its no wonder you dont have as many trappers as you. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2006, 20:50 
Trapper
Trapper

That stinks, Lil Bit. File for a permit just to use a 110? Geez, that's very, very, very stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 21:28 
Trapper
Trapper

You can't even replace the staples with wire loops, Lil Bit? It won't change the effectiveness of the trap, just it's lifespan.

That being said, thank goodness Maine seperated from Massachusetts long ago...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 21:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

10 days to trap?????? We get from November to Febuary with no delays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 21:44 
That's what I was doing ME, but still. It's frustrating. And it's 10 days per emergency permit. So you get 10 days per location. You can petition for an additional 30 after the fact, but to do so, you have to agree to put up fences, and water flow devices and crap like that