Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 13:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wax paper question
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2006, 19:31 
Trapper
Trapper

i hkeep hearing that peope use wax paper to keep them from freezing...but i have never done it and i don't really know what you mean, i could see putting it under the trap, but won't the critters feel it crinkle if you put it on the top?

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2006, 21:10 
Trapper
Trapper

ARMYMEDIC2 i AM VERY NEW TO TRAPPING BUT IT IS MY UNDERSTANDIN THAT YOU CRINKLE THE WAK PAPER UP BEVORE YOU PLACE IT ON THE PAN. :?

fox 5
skunk 2
grinners 3
Thanks Donnie& TY

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2006, 08:34 
Trapper
Trapper

you mean to take the rigiity out of it, not ball it up right?

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2006, 10:45 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

armymedic.2 wrote:
you mean to take the rigiity out of it, not ball it up right?

Right, you crumple it up first then fold it out flat, it becomes soft and cloth-like, for lack of a better term.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2006, 20:35 
Trapper
Trapper

got it...is there any worry about it covering the jaws and assisting with pullouts-thanks abunch im really learning a lot here, put out 7 sets for fox and 4 for coon, plus 8 for rats today, ill update my stats if any luck

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2006, 12:40 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

first cut your wax paper the size and shape of your jaws then crumple it up real good but remember to wear clean gloves when you do it. then i like to cut out a notch in the paper for the dog. when you place the paper tuck the edges UNDER the jaws. Good luck :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2006, 12:51 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

MN.Northwoods wrote:
first cut your wax paper the size and shape of your jaws then crumple it up real good but remember to wear clean gloves when you do it. then i like to cut out a notch in the paper for the dog. when you place the paper tuck the edges UNDER the jaws. Good luck :wink:

Thanks MN.Northwoods! I was going to post that but you beat me to it. :D Welcome to the site!

Post subject: wax paper
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2006, 20:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

When using wax paper for k9 traps I will try to crumple the paper with either some dirt from the set or leaves or pine needles. The smell from anyone of these helps elliminate any smell your trap might have on it.

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2006, 23:27 
First off, the wax paper DOES NOT keep your traps from freezing. I think you misunderstand. The wax paper keeps the soil from getting underneath the pan and either a: packing, or b: freezing underneath, thus prohibiting pan-drop and therefore not allowing the trap to fire. If you're bedding your trap in moist soil, and it freezes, the animals can walk right on your trap and not punch through the covering to set the trap off, or if they do depress the pan, sometimes, depending ont he spring strength, the jaws won't come up and grip the leg at all or in a timely fashion.

Wax paper must be used in conjunction with an anti-freezing trap-bedding like peatmoss, waxed dirt, coverhulls, or anti-freeze additives to freezeproof traps.

A good way to do the waxed paper is get a large roll at the grocery store. Cut it into thirds with a hacksaw. Then beat the crap out of it with a hammer until it's flat. The nice thing abut that is one full role rotation torn off usually is the perfect size for a #2 trap. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2006, 10:21 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Have you guys ever used a zip loc baggie to keep a trap from freezing? I've heard about it being done,even seen my uncle use it a couple of times. But never seen him catch anything. Just curious....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2006, 13:59 
Trapper
Trapper

Got it on the wax paper, thanks for the help. Peat moss around me is very moist however, and i imagine it would freeze faster than dry dirt. Any experience?

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2006, 04:25 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

ok, i'm new to trapping, but, i saw some trappers in interior alaska use this trick since we had ALOT of wet snow...

and i know some people have posted against this, but, it works for me...

My traps were freezing up in the new snow here in Ak...although we have a fairly dry snow, we got some warm temps then high winds, so it packed the snow bad, bad.....when i tried the was paper, i got two foxes in two days, one the next week...

for my Long Spring traps, here is what i did...go ahead and crinkle the wax paper with dirt in your glove, etc...put it under neath the trap ...then i took a small piece of wax paper and only covered my my 'dog', where the pin and flapper come together????....then, i covered with fine dirt that was dry....so, i did not have to worry about the top paper making noise, etc....BUT, this was ocean sand since i put my traps on a beach...and this sand does not feeze easily....I could make it without a full piece of paper...ALTHOUGH, i remember now, i took one fox this way, and one with a full piece of paper over the top....For a full piece of paper on top, I would take the suggestion someone made about crinkling it, then putting it under the jaws, then cover it....

OH, on my connibear, i dug a whole, stuck the connibear over the whole....set three logs surrounding the whole and left the 4 side open....then i put a small piece of wax paper over the pin/flapper?....and put sand over it....worked fine...got one fox...stuck his head straight down in the hole!!!....

i have had a wolf step to the side of one of these traps though...stole my bait...smart, smart....

miss the hog hunting down south!!!!!

scotty

Wild Hogs- 5
Coons-3
Possums-2
Foxes-3
Moma's cat in a #5 LS-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 02:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i use the heck out of waxpaper myself both under the pan(to keep dirt out) and under the trap to keep it from freezing to the ground. there are a ton of comm. anitifreeze's out there and all seem to work at least the ones i have tried so the pellet type has been working well for me and the best part is it dont rust the heck out of your traps