Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 00:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 May 2008, 22:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I was wondering if anybody wears scent cover, like the kind made for deer hunting, when making trap sets. I sprayed some on my boots that I had left over from deer season last year whenever I made new sets or went to check old ones even though I was just trapping mostley for coon so scent probably wasn't as big of deal as it would have been if I was trapping for yotes or somthing like that. This upcoming season I am hoping to make a few sets for fox and yotes and since scent would be more of a concern I was wondering if anybody thinks that spraying down my boots with scent cover when I go to make sets and to check them would help any. I can remember hearing on another forum awhile back, sombody saying that wearing scent cover sprays like scent killer on a trapline was a bad idea because it has somthing in it that up close a K-9 can smell. I was wondering if anybody thinks there is truth behind this and if it would be benificial to spray down with the stuff when running the line or if it is a bad idea. Thanks in advance, KYtrapper

Coon: 5
Grinner: 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 May 2008, 22:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, as I've said before, I don't have much of any experince trapping K-9s. I have snared 1 and that was a few weeks ago. Before that, it was just manual removal. BANG! But, until someone else gets back to ya', I'd say a bigger consern is to watch what you step in. Keep the boots clean, and don't step in the gas at the gas station or the oil in the garage with them. Also, use boots with materials that don't soke up smells to bad. Now, this is from books and talkin to others who have experiance themselves. I asked be for about the smell of my farm animals if I used dry dirt from the barn after it rained and couldn't find any elsewhere. The folks I asked eather said it wasn't a problem, or it depended on what the yote was used to. The 1 I snared, I didn't use any sent control at all. They were eating on the goat I lost and had just hauled of. I walked right up there trail, dragin the goat back to where I had it in the tree line. Then I sat on the ground, in the midle of the trail, and set the snare. That night I cought the yote. My sent didn't bother this one . Probably cause they're used to smelling me around there. Else where I'd probably have to be more carefull. I hope this helps some til someone who actually knows what there talkin about gets on here. :lol:

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 04:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

as long as their is nothing unnatural to that area on your boots its alright but if you are unsure keep a seperate pair of rubbers for just the line

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 15:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks for the responses. I have a pair of rubber soled boots I where just for hunting and trapping the area so I guess I should be okay then. Thanks again, KYtrapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 16:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I hunt with guy's[bowhunt]that wear all that smelly stuff deer hunting and they see as many preditor animal's as the next guy ..so I don't think it would bother them....try it ...if you don't think it's working stop useing it and go for extremely clean..no smell at all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 17:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

KY by cover scent do you mean something smelly like fox pee, coon pee skunk scent, or do you mean a scent eleminator like scent away etc.? I personally do not use any cover scent or such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 17:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I don't use any either while bowhunting ..I'm more of a ambush bowhunter than a lure them in kind of bowhunter..no grunt call's,no doe bleat's , antler rattling or the like ..I try every gimick that's come down the line ..but in the end I go back to killing deer by hunting method's and not the old fool'em method.....all that other stuff seem's to give a hunter a unfair advantage...you see a deer 100 yards away and you grunt ,rattle,lure and fool the deer into bow range...well you may be a good fooler but I think you need to practice your hunting and sign reading skill's to put you on top of that buck instead of drawing him into range...jmo

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 20:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Sorry I didn't clarify myself. When I said cover scent I was actually meaning stuff like scent eliminator products such as Scent Killer, or H.S. Scent Away, or stuff like that. I just didn't know if that would help lower human scent left behind when making trap sets or not? Thanks again for all the responses, KYtrapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 20:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

a scent- lock pair of cover all's and glove's might go farther to reduce scent ....not sure ...I was alway's a little leary of scent killer's. they may kill scent but what do they leave behind...I'm not sure but it's an interesting question..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 21:34 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

I've got a notion that anything you use that is chemically made will smell off o a coyote. Just manage your clothing and as others have stated watch your foot wear. I've seen guys that have dirty shop floors wonder why coyotes were avoiding their sets and didn't know why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 21:53 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Eh, Trappintime, anyone should know you can't catch many coyotes on a dirty shop floor! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 21:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I used scent killer some last year. Couldnt tell it made much of a difference.

Ive been thinking though that it might work to get the gland of the target animal and put it on a cotton ball or something on the side of the boot. Id think it would work because its the same smell the animals leave when their walking, so if you leave it, it seems it would at least make you smell unsuspicious. Comments?

yote: 1
coon: 17
skunk: 4
cottontail: 1
grinners: quit countin

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 21:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

sound's logical to me....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 22:43 
Trapper
Trapper

I, personally, will not put any kind of scent on my boots. I also do my skinning and fleshing with a different pair of boots than my trapping boots in order to avoid getting blood and fat on my trapping boots. I want to keep my trapping boots as scent free as possible. On the other hand, I have taken a skinned animal carcass, tied a rope around it, and dragged it to a set location to lay down a scent trail for critters to follow to the set. JMHO

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 22:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

KY, I think that it all depends on the environment the animals live in . If mr yote has lived in or around an urban area all it's life I believe human oder will not be a huge concern to them, now if you are in an area that see's very little human activity then I would think the yotes would be alot more sensitive to the forigen oder, like Chieftan said try them out to see if they help you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 May 2008, 00:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks everybody for all of the suggestions. Around here it is mostly farm land with woods mixed in so do to the routine farming practices the yotes are probably used to a little human scent in their territory. The more I think about it I might just skip on the scent eliminators on the trapline. That way maybe it's one less thing to possibly spook them or make them nervous around the set. I think since they are probably used to at least a little scent do to all the farming practices in the area a good clean, scent-free pair of boots like ya'll had mentioned will probably be enough to keep the scent down. Then again I might try it when making a couple of sets just to see what happens. Thanks again for all of the suggestions, KYtrapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2008, 19:21 
Trapper
Trapper

I really like this question. This will be my 14 year trapping and I'm still not satisfied with a silver bullet on this one.

I trap from my truck due to live sale market. Ifin my tires can not ride over the set or get real close I do not set.

First, I clean out the truck before trapping season. Vacuum & spray (Dead Down Wind) cloth seats in trucks front seat.

Second, Wash and clean floor mats. Spray DDW and cake mud hole mud on floor mats and repeat spraying every few days.

Third, Set out line (land sets) with hip boots and ware them when checking traps if time permits. This is the first one I deviate from due to time constraints most days.

Fourth, When possible shower proir to making sets and spray down with DDW. I use the cheaper secent products as the day wears on on my hands.

Fifth, Gloves - I wear a pair of leather gloves to make sets and no gloves or something disposable or washable to bait & lure set. Once a good red mud coating is on my hands I use no gloves to bait with. I usuall use a little of the ambient dirt to clean off any lure or bait along with the cheaper scent spray.

Now I trap with my son 80% of the time. He is now 7 but this started around age 2. He will most likly still be in school clothes. He wears rubber boots and gets a shot of red fox urine squirted on them bout everytime he gets close. He'll watch me set and help some but often walks away with his BB gun to hunt. So I figure he is spreading the urine all around.

On remakes I'll often still be in work clothes and sometimes work shoes. I know there is a problem with these shoes but I often get behind or forget to put boots back in the truck.

I also use clean cardboard or a clean water proof drop cloth to kneel on when making sets. I fold inward the dirt and anything falling off me while making the set. I pile this up a few feet out of the catch circle.

Leaving scent in my opinion is inevitible. I try my best to controll what I leave. Once a line starts playing out I get sloppy becausing I'm going real fast. The critters not caught are quick to point out my shortcomming and I make corrections on the fly!

I like this tread. I could go on and on LOL.

Richard