Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 19:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2018 Fur Prices
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 17:00 

Well, another fur buying season has begun. I found this on another website. I posted 2 pics because the first link is actually large enough to see. Again, these prices are pretty bad. I can't believe there were no coyotes at this sale. Mink prices looks as if they improved a little. I guess the real test will be at the NAFA sale at the end of February.

[![Fur_Price_Dist7.jpg](https://s13.postimg.org/ud6q43naf/Fur_Price_Dist7.jpg)](https://postimg.org/image/sldr973xf/)

Post subject: Re: 2018 Fur Prices
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 02:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yow. Surprised there were only three skunks. Guess most fellas don't need the gas money.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 06:57 

remrogers wrote:
Yow. Surprised there were only three skunks. Guess most fellas don't need the gas money.

I guess that's what the raccoons are for considering the skunk average price is about the same as raccoon.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 09:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

rats and coons are the bread and butter on my line.at those prices it wouldn't hardly make gas money. :cry:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 11:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Darn it...I can't get the link to work. I'd like to see the prices as of late.

How good/bad are the rats?

From observing the conversation, Why no coyotes at the sale?

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 15:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I just put the cursor over the visual attachment and left clicked. Brought it right up so it could be read.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2018, 08:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:

Many trappers are startin to wise up about these no good state sales, they are a joke brother, especially for yote prices today. Only two choices for good sale today, Hugo, Colorado and if a man likes to gamble, nafa or fha. Kansas sale in Abilene is even a bigger joke. States would do well to learn from Colorado and some of the other western sales. These state sales also is a bad place for info. Low numbers and dont know the quality of fur and put up on them. Way to many variables for few numbers.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 07:13 

Richard Murray wrote:
Amak wrote:

Many trappers are startin to wise up about these no good state sales, they are a joke brother, especially for yote prices today. Only two choices for good sale today, Hugo, Colorado and if a man likes to gamble, nafa or fha. Kansas sale in Abilene is even a bigger joke. States would do well to learn from Colorado and some of the other western sales. These state sales also is a bad place for info. Low numbers and dont know the quality of fur and put up on them. Way to many variables for few numbers.

You're right Richard. There was a discussion about this sale on the hunting PA website where this sale result was originally posted. All of the coyote that was up for auction was greeted with a NO SALE! after the auctioneers gavel fell. These PA Trappers Sales are designed to not only give a trappers a chance to auction off their furs locally but also raise money for the PA Trappers Association. There has been reports of possible collusion between the fur buyers at these auctions with the prices so low. That is one reason why I stayed away from these for quite a few years and started shipping to NAFA in 2010. I went to my local sale last season for the first time since 2009 only because I didn't have much and just figured it would be easier. I saw coyotes average $24.00 at that sale and thought that those guys are getting ripped big time! I'm shipping my mink back up to NAFA this season.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 09:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Oh I see it now....

Really the rat prices are reflecting about what they had for years. It got crazy a few years ago...I know,.... but most my life rats have been $2-$3. I could live with that....if they actually sold anyway.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 12:12 

The PTA District 11 fur sale was just as poor if not worse. Coyotes averaged only $10.00! :shock:

Since the picture is too small to see the fur, number and average is listed below.

Type of Fur / Number / $ Average
Red Fox / 578 / $9.96
Gray Fox / 6 / $14.50
Raccoon / 212 / $3.39
Muskrat / 358 / $2.86
Skunks / 2 / $2.00
Male Mink / 29 / $7.59
Female Mink / 22 / $4.63
Coyote / 4 / $10.38
Deer Hides / 18 / $4.36
squirrel Tails / 37 / $0.17

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 10:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Like we discussed before Rick, only four dogs and no way of knowing the quality of them. Most likely eastern dogs and possibly poor quality to boot, then throw in possibly poor putup. The dog market this year is really good, for heavies and top end semi's. Iv'e seen some of these dogs guys are pipe lining thinkin they are goin to get big bucks and only goin to be real disappointed. They werer warned and wouldn't listen. I'm goin to do good on mine for sure, only because I'm in the right area for good semi's and the once in a while heavy. Only problem with mine this year is they are overly dark compared to previous years. This year 2 out of 3 dogs were tossed because of mange and bad rubs. Which in return is a lot of work for little return lol. Even my 7 cats wasn't of the quality they normally are. The bellies were very casted and narrow. Cat market is goin to be very disappointing for most, except for the westerns.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 11:40 

Richard Murray wrote:
Like we discussed before Rick, only four dogs and no way of knowing the quality of them. Most likely eastern dogs and possibly poor quality to boot, then throw in possibly poor putup. The dog market this year is really good, for heavies and top end semi's. Iv'e seen some of these dogs guys are pipe lining thinkin they are goin to get big bucks and only goin to be real disappointed. They werer warned and wouldn't listen. I'm goin to do good on mine for sure, only because I'm in the right area for good semi's and the once in a while heavy. Only problem with mine this year is they are overly dark compared to previous years. This year 2 out of 3 dogs were tossed because of mange and bad rubs. Which in return is a lot of work for little return lol. Even my 7 cats wasn't of the quality they normally are. The bellies were very casted and narrow. Cat market is goin to be very disappointing for most, except for the westerns.

You're right Richard, The coyotes found in PA are far from being coveted by the fur industry. Their guard hairs are wiry, they don’t have good under fur, and the colors are across the boards, relegating them to the trim market. A better option for utilizing eastern coyotes might be tanning them and selling them for wall hangers. You might have to sit on them for a while, but there’s always folks looking for them. Coyotes are a lot of work to catch, skin, and flesh....a ten dollar ( or less ) return on that labor stings.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2018, 21:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

True Rick, but I'd rather do a $10 coyote any day over a $14 beaver! That's a pipe dream for me.... $5 beaver is more like it.

In any case I'd rather catch and process a coyote any day over a beaver as far as the work portion goes. They is still fun to catch though!

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2018, 05:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
True Rick, but I'd rather do a $10 coyote any day over a $14 beaver! That's a pipe dream for me.... $5 beaver is more like it.

In any case I'd rather catch and process a coyote any day over a beaver as far as the work portion goes. They is still fun to catch though!

True that and will add that dogs are as easy to catch as coon. The problem with dogs this year was the stinkin mange and rubs. Well gotta go, off to see the surgeon this morning. Got to have shoulder put back together.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2018, 05:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Richard Murray wrote:
Amak wrote:

True that and will add that dogs are as easy to catch as coon. The problem with dogs this year was the stinkin mange and rubs. Well gotta go, off to see the surgeon this morning. Got to have shoulder put back together.

Will add, my dogs should average in the 40's maybe even in the 50's this year. Good year for dog trappers that have good dogs. Trim trade is boomin good this year. I seen where the last fha sale, semi dogs ave 51.54 and fha is usually known for not having a good dog selection. Just sayin......

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2018, 08:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Richard Murray wrote:
Amak wrote:

Well gotta go, off to see the surgeon this morning. Got to have shoulder put back together.

good luck, hope you heal up quick....

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2018, 17:04 

Chieftain wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
Amak wrote:

Well gotta go, off to see the surgeon this morning. Got to have shoulder put back together.

Shoulder surgery put my trapping buddy down last season. Good luck Richard.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 08:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trapperrick wrote:
Chieftain wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
Amak wrote:

Thanks guys!! :wink: Yesturday seeing the surgeon, he told me will be 8 weeks for healing time, but first must be medically cleared before surgery, a first for me, considering how many surgeries I've had in my life lol. So for that have to make a separate appointment for that and more back and forth on the highway. After I get healed from that I got to have another surgery to fix my hurniated belly button, which I have had since birth and didnt know it, go figure. So all together will be about 3 and half months of down time. What really sucks about all of this is that beaver trappin and turkey huntin does not happen for me this year and my walleye spawn fishing. DANG!! :evil:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 08:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Richard Murray wrote:
trapperrick wrote:
Chieftain wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
Amak wrote:

What really sucks about all of this is that beaver trappin and turkey huntin does not happen for me this year and my walleye spawn fishing. DANG!! :evil:
....that does suck but if they get you fixed it will be worth it.my loving woman had shoulder surgery 10 years ago and that's what it took her to recover 8 weeks but she has had no problems with her shoulder and no pain..she said if she knew it was going to go that good she would have had it done 3 years sooner....

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 06:52 

March 3rd was the day the NAFA guy made his pick up rounds through southern PA. A sign of the times though as I was the only one at the pick up site. Greg Kohl is the NAFA agent that I have been dealing with over the past 8 years but he had someone riding along with him. Greg told me that he was retiring after this season and the reigns will be handed over to Mark (I didn't catch his last name).
Greg did tell me as, I was dropping off the mink I caught, that mink prices should be improving.