Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 09:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mice for fox
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2008, 14:25 
Trapper
Trapper

I usually trap a bunch of mice out of my garage in the winter is it worth freezing them to use in dirthole sets? Targets would be canines and coons if I used them

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2008, 15:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

if you're broke you could. The baits you can buy are usually made of ground up and slightly spoiled mice, bobcats, rats, or beaver along with some other tasty ingredients to make them more attractive. These no doubt have more calling power than a regular old dead mouse.

now a live mouse is a different story...they would add a lot of eye and sound appeal if you can catch em live or buy the snake food ones at the pet store and rig up a little see through cage for it with something noisy in it for the mouse to crinkle like leaves or somthing. Seeing something alive would also add a real sense of urgency and you could really get around somethings wariness because there wont be time for an investigation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2008, 16:35 
Trapper
Trapper

No not broke just wasn't sure if they would work I have commercial just had the thought as i was removing one from the trap Thanks for the info

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2008, 20:41 
Trapper
Trapper

would coons be attracted to mice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2008, 22:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I was actually thinking of the same idea as far as using mice I catch in mouse traps in the garage as bait. I didn't because I just figured it wouldn't have a very strong smell, but I might try it next year just to see what happens.

Coon: 5
Grinner: 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2008, 22:47 
Trapper
Trapper

i wonder if you could possibly grind the mice up and add a lure of some sort to increase the attraction. anyone ever done this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2008, 11:39 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

a lot of baits are made of ground up mice with whatever else in them so I dont see why you couldnt.

A live mouse wouldnt have a very strong smell that's true, but if you were set near enough where they were anyway and the mouse cooperated you could appeal to their hearing and vision in a very strong way. You would have to put something in there the mouse could crinkle around and make noise when it moved and and make it so the mouse was visible.

I know a farmer who has done this with baby chicks to catch coyotes in a cage trap that he has. It also catches fox and a bobcat once, but he's really after the coyotes. It works well for him because seeing something alive, they dont have time to investigate because in the animal's mind, if they dont act fast odds are it will get away. Without live bait, the odds of catching a coyote or fox in a cage trap are pretty slim because they are so suspicious.

I'm sure you could adapt this to use live mice in some kind of cubby set. Would it work better than a cubby with plain old bait and/or lure? I dunno I havent tried it, but I have been thinking of making a few little mouse cages because I have some metal window screen laying around and giving it a try. It would be more time spent per set, but if it has good output and catches the more trap wary ones, it may be worth it.

I wouldnt think live bait would be any more appealing to a coon than the usual stuff, but there again, I havent actually tried it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2008, 11:49 
Trapper
Trapper

You just gave me an idea for the local golf course that has fox troubles I can't use legholds due to the amount of pets in the area but if a live mouse would draw them into a cage trap that might work. has anyone done that before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2008, 12:01 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I can't stand it...I have to get in on this discussion....I wouldn't grind the mice unless I was making a mixed bait.....one with other ingredients. What would be the purpose? I think mice on their own would tend to hold a cat or canine's attention....if it can be seen. Maybe if you have an abundance of them, just leave one lying on the outside of your trap location and and one behind your trap, once the target animal has had a sample they may tend to investigate the area more aggresively. I think it is worth the effort to use trial and error...especially if you have access to the bait source. I had a permit once to keep coons in captivity and I had a very large cage with 14 coons in it. During the year I would put different types of food out for them. To my surprise, there is a period in the summer that they would not touch fish....I would have to get it out of the cage and discard it. They would not eat cooked pinto beans. I am sure there would have been other things like citrus fruit that they wouldnl't have eaten, but I didn't try them on that. They would eat most everything else. I often check the stomachs of target animals such as fox-bobcat-coyote to see what they are eating. Once I caught a grey fox in the bottoms and it had persimmon seeds, bird feathers, pieces of crawfish and leaves in it's stomach. That would lead me to believe that it was more concerned with a full belly than being particular about the food source. Like I said, trial and error. No need to not use the mice if you have them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2008, 18:30 
Trapper
Trapper

One way to use live mice at a set is to build a cubby and throw some sort of cover over it such as a tarp, to keep the rain out. Throw a few hands full of grain in the back and shove some leaves and dead grass back in there. The grain will attract wild mice to the cubby and they will build a nest with the grass and leaves and will set up residence. Keep the thing baited with grain and the mice will stay. It will smell strongly of mice inside there, and they will leave scent when they run in and out of the cubby, laying down a scent trail for predators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2008, 22:23 
Trapper
Trapper

i hear a guy that said commercial lures cant beat a fresh mouse in a dirthole for fox, but if i were to get into it, i would put a lil kick in her to give it a little more scent. I got basically ground mice, but i bought it instead, didnt have the stomache to grind up mice, lol, anyways it's called "Just Mice" by tim cavens i think, and i caught coons with just a dab of it in a dirthole, so it does give off a strong scent, and if you look on the online trapping stores, there is hundreds of different lure componets like beavor castor, anise, all that stuff to make your own lures, just remeber on what the animal eats tho and what habitat it lives in to buy the right stuff to really attract the animal that is being trapped, like a nutty base for rats, sweet or fishy base for coons, and a mice base for k9's, and add on from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2008, 22:14 
Trapper
Trapper

I heard from a guy around here that you could put a rabbit in a quart jar add a little water and pretty much let it rot. i tried it and it seems to work pretty well. the only yote bait that i have used before though is fatal attraction, because it's all that i could buy locally, so thats all i have to compare to. I plan on buying and making several different baits for this coming year. Any comments for favorite coyote baits or lures would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2008, 23:36 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I can't speak for NC or most any other location than east TX, but anything with a "rotten" smell is going to bring in plenty of possum-skunk-buzzard and dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2008, 08:33 
Trapper
Trapper

I don't belive there is many skunks up here in the mountians where i'm trapping, there are possums but i have yet to catch on and that has suprised me. I did catch one buzzard but that was when i was trapping with a bobcat carcuss as a bait. The coyotes seem to like the dead rabbit pretty good. the guy that talked about the rabbit was using it to catch cats and that suprised me because i thought that cats would like fresher meat.