Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 15:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2006, 06:07 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I caught skunks in 2 coyote sets. Both sprayed when I shot them of course. I am worried about the scent that they left on the trap for fear they will get dug up if reused. Is there anyway to get the scent off the trap. Also, is there an easy way to kill a skunk without it spraying. The only thing I have heard is a shot at the base of the skull where the spine meets it, and that isn't easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2006, 06:57 
Trapper
Trapper

I've killed a bunch of skunks. A head shot almost always causes some relase of musk. A heart/lung shot reduces the chances of spray significantly.

Injection poles and drowning also reduce or eliminate spraying, but most folks already have a .22 with them and don't want to carry anymore gear than they already do.

Post subject: skunk
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2006, 02:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Shoot the skunk in the lungs as stated above. 97% will not spray. Head shots, spine shots, do not work.
As for the "skuked" traps. If you can place in a sealable container without cleaning them. When the weather gets cold, sub zero, go ahead and use the traps as is. The skunk quill will act as a call lure in really cold weather. Use some "gusto" or other loud lure with it. Have used skunky traps in the past and this set up works great on K9 in dead of winter, especially if there is snow on the ground. Hope it helps.

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2006, 15:33 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the tips. I will definately have to switch over to shooting them in the lungs. They must be thick this year I saw 2 more wandering through the same field this morning. Did catch a coyote yesterday though about 300 yards from the skunked sets.