Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 17:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2008, 18:25 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Haven't trapped since the late 70's and early to mid 80's. Looking to get back in it this next year so my son and I can have even more time in the woods. Mainly coon, mink, fox that we will be targeting. Have to use rubber jawed traps for above ground sets in Tn. What brand and size would you recommend? Want to start with about three dozen and go from there. Been reading a lot on it and some things are coming back, but, it's been a loooooooong time. Thanks for your input and advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2008, 22:47 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Hello mountain climber, I'm from Tennessee as well and so is ryebear. What part are you from?

Anywho, I use rubberjaw traps in the #1.5 and #3 size. I would HIGHLY recommend the #3. They'll get whatever you want and won't harm them. I've had two pulls from the 1.5's in rubber jaws from grey fox, needless to say I was real peed off. The threes are a good all around rubber jaw trap. Also, if you don't mind bucking the system at all, I've found that the #2 offset jaws do less damage than the rubber jaws. I would never tell anyone to break the law, but this was just an FYI thing and I wouldn't do it. I wish I could do a study on offset jaws versus rubber jawed. The rubber jaw thing is just so the public will accept trapping more, plus the fact that the TWRC makes the trapping laws instead of the TWRA. You should join the Tennesse Fur Harvesters Assosiation and call up John Daniels and tell him how you fell about it. If the TWRA gets to handle the trapping laws then they will be ALOT more liberal.

I hope this helped. If you have anymore questions myself or ryebear will be glad to help.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2008, 22:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

yeah....rubber jawed...*grin grin wink wink*

1.5 for fox, I dont know about any of the brands. I have never seen an #2 RJ trap for sale otherwise I'd say use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2008, 22:55 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

I haven't either ryebear, that's why I opt for the #3. It holds fox, and yotes. I've caught possums in them too and let them go with no problems. Never had a pull with the 3's, the same can't be said about the 1.5's unfortunatly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2008, 23:23 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

I like the victor #3 softcatch as I can let anything go unharmed and have not had pull out problems. I do cut the pan down in size so that the critters have to put their foot more in the center of the trap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 06:27 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Preacher, I'm up the road from you in Johnson City. I've been looking around locally for traps and the few I've found are expensive as heck. I have ordered several catalogs from different mail order places and even with shipping it's a lot cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 10:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

the #3's would be better for yotes and cats. If all you're wanting is coon and fox though, you could save some dough getting the 1.5s. I am not a fan of RJ traps, they chew at them and if they get one side tore up enough they can sometimes pull out, plus the rubber being all tore up probably means your trap isnt legal anymore. And the rubber needs replacing every few seasons. That isnt firsthand, thats what and old trapper told me about them, I have only every owned 6 of them and havent used them extensively.

Also, for the mink and coon, you can use regular traps as long as they are in the water. I'd go with #1.5 double jaw coilspring (probably my all-around best water trap) or #11 DJ LS (cheap, durable, and very effective, I have more of these than the 1.5s). I am not a big fan of single jaw traps for water sets. If you're wanting to save money though, they will do the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 17:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

This is kind of for preacher but its good info for all. There have been quite a few studdies on these traps google Best Management Practices (BMPs) trapping. There are several links. I belive you can get this info on the FTA & NTA web sites also

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 18:13 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

I've see abunch of those studies illtrapper. I'll check out NTA again in case I missed it awhile back.

The rubber jaw traps are going to be expensive wherever you buy them mountain climber. They'll be about 11 or 12 bucks a pop at most places. I think the cheapest I've found them was at Southeastern Outdoor Supply. The traps are a little more than Northwestern Trappers Supply (Cumberlands), but you save quite a bit on shipping. Just make sure you look at the shipping from the supplier before you jump on the least expensive trap. You should also take a look at ebay, although everything I see there usually goes for WAY more than it's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 13:18 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Mountain Climber-
I'll bet you'll take back to trapping like you would swimming if you'd been away from the water for awhile. Even during the times I wasn't setting much steel I'd still see a spot and know how good it would be to be able to have a trap set. As for the RJ traps....I have one nephew that used them....he and probably others would be willing to sell them to you. Not everyone who has purchased them in the past were required to do so and are ready to try something else. Then there are folks like me that never get rid of any of their trapping equipment except to help out some kid who is getting interested in the craft. I have a horde of hand made cypress boards in the loft of my shop that I cannot think about parting with even though I know I have no plans to ever use them again. Also a couple dozen #2 wire stretchers. I do use a few of those when I spend a lengthty time down in the woods and fear the hides in my coolers will spoil. After 20+ years of primitive trapping and camping, I reckon I should start taking my gasoline generator down there with me....it just don't seem like it would be the same. Back to the used traps....ask if anyone has the RJs for sale?

Post subject: good all around trap
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 19:53 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

you cant go wrong with the bridger 1.5 for coon or mink, will hold fox and in a pinch coyote. comes with a nightlatch pan from the factory. for the money this is my choice.