Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 13:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: time
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2008, 23:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Well, as most of you know, I've pulled my k9 line a while back. Hitting beaver now, so can't wait untill this weekend to see what's been swimming into the snares and connis. With so much "free time" on my hands now, I sat in my basement this morning wondering what I should start doing. Sure, I had my honey do list of painting, putting on some new base boards and mouldings, taking out the trash and letting the dog out. ..But not a thing tripped my trigger until I thought about those 5 rubbermaid containers holding all those k9 traps. The honey do list would have to wait. lol. As I sat there with 1 container beside me on the floor, I reached into it and pulled out a # 1.75 4 coiled DUKE and started to look it over. Swivels were in working order. Chain was still good. J hooks were fine. Pan needed some tightening and that piece of red fur had to go. I took that fur off the trap with my fingertips almost reverently, recalling exactly where that trap had been set and the last fox it held before I pulled it. Seems right now I didn't get much done with my traps either because for everyone I handled, there was a lone piece of hair, a small wisp of fur, or a speck of blood. I remembered each and everyone. I did manage to adjust a few of them. I did have to replace a couple coil springs and 1 swivel and I also shortened the chain on 1 trap that seemed just too long. All in all, I had a good time remembering everything I caught this season. I also remembered (after looking in my log) what type of lure was used, the weather that particular day and what direction the wind was comming out of. So, to make this already long post short, now is the time to start going through your trapping gear if you can. Check everything over, take notes, order supplies for next year and above all, take the time to remember what worked and what didn't and give some respect to the animals you caught.

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2008, 23:43 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Excellent advice as always. :D