Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 23:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tinkering
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 15:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Just tinkering around with a couple wolf sets and a few road side boxes. Check every 5 or 6 days. Today another wolf and female fisher :--D
Was a frosty one this morning with -38 and then there was the wind.

Post subject: Re: tinkering
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 18:26 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Way to go Wolf, how many does that make so far? Sorry about the cold, it was 25.6C here today. :--D :|

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 19:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

more nice fur,great job Wolf..if those are your gloves on the tailgate and its -38,i hope you got those on quick..

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 19:58 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

thats some nice catch wolf..and i know about that cold weather,it was -45C with wind on thurs here in central sask.lol

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 20:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trap-hunt-fish wrote:
thats some nice catch wolf..and i know about that cold weather,it was -45C with wind on thurs here in central sask.lol

You got to grow trees, cuts the wind :) Tonight will all most be -50 with wind chill then warm right up. Next week will be highs of - 5 :D

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 21:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Chieftain wrote:
more nice fur,great job Wolf..if those are your gloves on the tailgate and its -38,i hope you got those on quick..

Just for a pic only. Truck check today and is better then on bike. Old people get wise fast :)

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 21:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wannab wrote:
Way to go Wolf, how many does that make so far? Sorry about the cold, it was 25.6C here today. :--D :|

I know swamp said he never got sweated up today. 2 so far this year, been slow with my couple sets. Overall this makes 238 wolves to my credit.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 13:09 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

238 is quite impressive!..i would have to go north about an hour drive to get to wolf country,rare to see them here but the coyotes are very plentiful..buddy and i do alot of trapping and calling them in.usually get a few every every time we go out,just wish the prices were better..and ya more trees would be much better but the open farmland makes for awesome duck and goose hunting.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 15:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

wolf1199 wrote:
wannab wrote:

I know swamp said he never got sweated up today. 2 so far this year, been slow with my couple sets. Overall this makes 238 wolves to my credit.

I was thinking you had gotten more this year, but 238 lifetime is quite impressive!!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 22:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wannab things have not been good for trapping this year. Very little interest due to market conditions and another late start to cold weather trapping. Such is life. This was something i did month ago to give me something to do. My goal was 250 and now that i need 12 more it seems so far away. You know when Swamp was up here we called him 2 shot to kill a wolf, well you can call me 3 shot :x

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2017, 14:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, wolf, that will be 238 more wilderness howlers than I've caught.

Would you have more interest if marten were ave. $120 US a piece and your beaver north of $50...?

I don't know how often you get checked up by the doc, and I'm not going to preach, but maybe its more than just a crappy market. You're a top notch guy all around and I wish you the best as your new role ad a grand dad. Your guys type of trapping is pretty physically demanding, especially beaver and otter trapping, and I suspect has some sort of shelf life that's more limited than say me walking down into a road ditch to check sets or walking around a farmstead.

Not that I think this is where you're at this point yet but I'll tell a funny story about one of my uncles. My dad and all of his siblings grew up first learning German at home and then English at the country school. Uncle Rich got drafted late in WWII and got to Europe and served with Patton's 3rd Army starting in the fall of 1944. His ability to speak German was useful when their units captured Nazi prisoners, and after the 3rd Army liberated Dachau and the Americans found out about the concentration camps, more than one SS officer objected to having a lowly German-speaking American private tell them what POS they were, but Uncle Rich's officers just smiled and had him keep on questioning the Krauts.

Anyway, Uncle Rich came home and started a little farm not too far from where he was born and raised crops and had some beef cattle. He lost most of the fingers off his left hand while he was still a young guy so I never saw him with both complete hands. He was a wiry shorter guy who liked to smoke Pall Mall filterless and move around fairly fast. Somewhere in his mid-to-later 60s he had heart surgery and one of the things they did was to put in a pacemaker. He was in his mid70s and started having problems again and was getting checked out by the docs. They were surprised that his pacemaker was badly worn, this device should have lasted much longer, and asked Uncle Rich what he was doing. Well, he was still tending his cattle, along with his son, and was constantly near or crossing electric fences. The doctors looked stern at him and stated that heart pacemakers and electric fences didn't mix and he should do more "supervising" from the pick-up or tractor/loader than dealing directly with the cattle. Uncle Rich lived until he was 84. I suspect he followed doctor's orders but I'm sure he cheated a little bit as well.

Take care!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2017, 22:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Would you have more interest if marten were ave. $120 US a piece and your beaver north of $50...?

.Not really the marten are still at a good average and my beaver prices are still close to $30.00, that I can live with. Its the rest of the fur that has plummeted to very little value. Otter, fox, fisher will be low again this year and no point in setting for them. Unfortunately the fisher found my marten boxes but what can one do. There was many opportunities to trap those species but why do so to take its life and give it away for nothing.
This year i just tinkered around after we had our beaver caught. Lets all hope things turn around for next year.

Health issues we all have some and I know I need to get my Knees done but keep putting it off. Have I went down hill since Swamp was up here yes. But that's just getting older year by year and still trying to do the things I did 30 years ago. Mind is say go and body is saying slow down.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 07:41 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

WOLF you are the master of the wolf snares! But you have been told that those black snares will not catch many wolves...so much for listening to experts. eh? Seems you guys got off to a warm start and then the arctic blast came on strong. I know what that is like (in reverse), we go from hot to cool to very hot all in a few days. Festus and I were seeing snakes while trapping in December.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 19:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
WOLF you are the master of the wolf snares! But you have been told that those black snares will not catch many wolves...so much for listening to experts. eh? Seems you guys got off to a warm start and then the arctic blast came on strong. I know what that is like (in reverse), we go from hot to cool to very hot all in a few days. Festus and I were seeing snakes while trapping in December.

I don"t consider myself a master but have learned a lot over the years. LT Grey was the one who bashed me on snaring and using black snares, in the end made himself look like a fool. Although he had good points on snaring he was determined to discredit me. But he failed because he has very little real clue to winter snaring and i proved it to him. Just another trapper trying to become famous on many sites. I know what I know and will help when I can. For many of you down there its a different ball game for me so things might fall not into the mix. But fur put up is all the same and im here if you need help or other members.

You keep your snakes.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2017, 22:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

LT has always been a bit of a loudmouth

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 11:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Impressive Wolf! 8) Thats a lot of wolves to deal with over time! :shock:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 16:38 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

wolf1199 wrote:
Old people get wise fast :)

BS.