Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 06:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2016, 18:46 
Trapper
Trapper

Alright guys I'll try to explain this the best I can, and also include the pictures I took today. I was out scouting some public land looking for some beaver spots, hoping to catch just a few to tan as presents for my buddies (quick side story I lost my best friend/hunting/trapping partner my black lab Drake at 2 years old in November. He was hit by a car while helping me track a deer. Well my buddies all pitched in and got me a new puppy and a thank you note just wasn't enough to show my thanks). Anyways, I found a creek on public land that shows some great beaver sign, but there are a few things troubling me about this spot. First, I noticed old boot tracks and flagging tape at about 6 spots, definitely not fresh but I'm assuming someone had some sets in. The next troubling thing was running for roughly a 1/2 mile down the creek was a beaver track on top of the ice, running from the lodge to a small pocket of open water 1/2 a mile upstream. I located the lodge and a few feed beds, but I'm not sure if there is any way to tell if they are still active during winter. If I were to set on the feed beds, should I set right below the ice or on the bottom? The only open water I found was about 1/2 a mile from the lodge, would it make sense to set a few traps by the open water? Also I noticed a staggering amount of K-9 tracks running up and down the creek, I am thinking of setting some snares on these travel ways, and had the idea of chipping a small hole in the ice and attaching the snare to a drag and put the drag under the ice, the hole will freeze over and secure the trap. Is that a good idea? Any other suggestions for securing a snare in the middle of a creek on ice?

To recap the questions:
1. Any way to tell if beaver are still present in an area through the ice, is it odd for a beaver to travel almost a 1/2 mile on top of the ice? Is it possible they are froze/pushed out?
2. How deep to set 330s on feedbeds or in travel channels?
3. I only have 3-330s so is there any way to use a beaver foothold under the ice?
4. Any tips on setting/securing snares for k-9s in the middle of a frozen creek?

My pictures will not attach to this post but I will do my best to get them to load. Thanks e eryone for the advice

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2016, 10:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

To recap the questions:
1. Any way to tell if beaver are still present in an area through the ice, is it odd for a beaver to travel almost a 1/2 mile on top of the ice? Is it possible they are froze/pushed out?
2. How deep to set 330s on feedbeds or in travel channels?
3. I only have 3-330s so is there any way to use a beaver foothold under the ice?
4. Any tips on setting/securing snares for k-9s in the middle of a frozen creek?

My pictures will not attach to this post but I will do my best to get them to load. Thanks e eryone for the advice

If you have found the beaver house look to the top of house and see if there is an air vent coming up through the snow. Most active houses generate heat and will produce the air vent. Dead houses have no vent at all. If you think the house is alive then sound for thin ice around the lodge. Ice will be much thinner where they travel from house to feed bed, this will be a run entrance. Your 330 should be as close to house as possible and set right on the bottom of the run. You can also suspend your 330 with bait out around the feed bed. When doing so have the trap about 6 to 8 inches under ice.
peace of bait in bottom jaw

trap set through hole suspended on wire

these are the poles i use when setting up beaver runs

in this pic you can see the air vent at the top of house

setting run tight up against house

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2016, 17:10 
Trapper
Trapper

Thank you wolf for the answers and great pictures. I got 2-330s set today by the lodge and feed bed. Between the lodge and feed bed there was only about 1" of ice versus 8-10" on the rest of the creek so I would say it's a safe bet I found the runs. Wish I had more 330s to set out but after my traps were stolen last year it's all i have for the moment. I also set 6 cable restraints on the creek for k-9s so I'm excited for the check tomorrow. Thanks again for the help

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2016, 19:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Send me your addy as i can probably help you out with some 330,s if you want.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2016, 16:29 
Trapper
Trapper

Went and checked my sets today, and using the set Wolf recommended I connected on my first true under the ice beaver! I tried wolf's set and also a baited coni on a pole with a potato, but no luck on that one. I moved the potato set closer to the lodge and if it doesn't connect tonight I am going to switch it to wolfs set (Sorry not sure what you call that set). It was only about a 25 pounder, but it's exactly what I'm looking for. Still can't get pictures to post, but thanks again for all the help.

Also had a few k-9 prints come within 6-8' of a few of my cable restraints, but wouldn't come any closer. Not sure if they weren't camoed well enough so I did my best to hide them better. I'm by no means a k-9 expert, but at one site the size of the tracks were huge! I'm talking much bigger then my 75lb labs tracks were, there was also a pile of scat as big as ive ever seen...there is no wolf season in WI and honestly i don't have a clue what I would do if he got into one of my cables. Assuming I'm correct that this is a wolf. Is there anything I can do try to "discourage" it from investigating my sets, but won't hurt my chance at a coyote or fox?

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 22:11 
Trapper
Trapper

Checked the line again today and connected on another beaver. Also had a set of k-9 tracks come up to another cable restraint but stopped about 3-4' from it. Not sure what else I can do to hide them better or if I'm doing something else wrong. I moved one of the beaver sets a little further away from the lodge on a travel route so hopefully The move will pay off.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 11:10 

Great job DK!

Wolf is a great resource for all things trapping.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 19:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

dkhunter8383 wrote:
Checked the line again today and connected on another beaver. Also had a set of k-9 tracks come up to another cable restraint but stopped about 3-4' from it. Not sure what else I can do to hide them better or if I'm doing something else wrong. I moved one of the beaver sets a little further away from the lodge on a travel route so hopefully The move will pay off.

Snares work wonders under ice. Snaring beaver on land has never been a thing i like doing. You could drop in a few poles with snares on coming out of runs. one thing i forgot to mention the baited 330s work well later on in season when the feed bed is sour.

Little gift coming your way to help you out.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 23:46 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for all the help Wolf, it is very much appreciated. I checked the line today and no beaver. I also had another fresh set of k-9 tracks coming right up to one of my cable restraints but stopped about 5' from it. I have it set in the middle of the creek on the ice where all the tracks are. I have a 10" loop that is 9-10" off the ground. I chopped a few small holes in the ice on either side and stuck some small willow branches in to funnel into my trap. I also put a few drops of coyote urine on each side of the cable, but he's definitely not liking something. I believe I'm going to pull my sets tomorrow and move to a new location about a mile down the road. I scouted it today after my check and found tons of beaver sign, but my rookie eyes didn't show me any definite spots to set on. But I'll chop a few holes and see what happens, you never know. I also got the 2 beaver skinned out today. Went great except on the 2nd one i cut a half dollar sized hole in the pelt by one of the eyes. Not ideal but I'll try my hand at pelt sewing.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 18:57 
Trapper
Trapper

Pulled my line today and picked up another beaver! That is 3 total in 5 days with only 2 traps. Not great I know but I'm pretty happy with the results being my first under ice experience. I threw out my carcasses today at my grandparents farm, and hopefully I'll be able to pick up a few coyotes. Now time to set a new area

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 20:06 
Trapper
Trapper

Finally figured out how to post some pictures. Hope these show up

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2017, 07:42 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

You are a fast learner, congratulations on getting the under ice beaver.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2017, 20:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice looking beaver, congrats to you and may you catch many more. Looking forward to your land line pics.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 04:19 

Very nice! :D

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 07:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

nice catch...

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 10:30 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks guys! I set out 4cable restraints on Tuesday on all the beaver carcasses, along with some duck/goose carcasses I have been saving. In WI we have some pretty strict laws on cable restraints,and I thought I had all the travel way covered. Unfortunately when I checked yesterday I had some critters hit the bait, but not where I had a cable. So I moved my sets around and hopefully I'll connect today.