Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums
http://www.wild-about-trapping.com/forums/

question for you northern trappers
http://www.wild-about-trapping.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17157
Page 1 of 1

Author:  doc9013 [ 23 Aug 2016, 19:03 ]
Post subject:  question for you northern trappers

My younger brother has a dream of someday trapping the Yukon for marten, beaver, coyote, wolf and wolverine. He would like to know what traps you recommend for each of these species, as well as what size snare cable and swivels you recommend for wolf. He wants to start buying traps while he is still working. Thanks for any and all advice.

Author:  wolf1199 [ 23 Aug 2016, 21:41 ]
Post subject:  Re: question for you northern trappers

doc9013 wrote:
My younger brother has a dream of someday trapping the Yukon for marten, beaver, coyote, wolf and wolverine. He would like to know what traps you recommend for each of these species, as well as what size snare cable and swivels you recommend for wolf. He wants to start buying traps while he is still working. Thanks for any and all advice.


Well I can say a few things on this cause its right up my alley. First off marten are easy to catch and my first thought is 120 conibears. Perfect trap for a marten or fisher and mink, quick kill. Although Alaska still allows the foot hold for catching marten and many still use that method but its outdated and cruel. Besides that using the leg hold on a running pole has 50/50 chance of catching or missing . If you watch the TV reality shows ( mountain men or Yukon Trapper ) you will plainly see how many traps were empty and bait gone on those sets. That is the truth about that set up. In the old days that,s what you had to work with. We are now in the 21st century and methods have changed, time to get modern and up the percentages. The 120 and a marten box on a tree will out due a running pole set with leg hold any day for misses. There are misses using a marten box but nothing compared to a leg hold. I have caught marten on running poles with out a box, just a 120 before the bait. But that requires extra attention when setting. Doc marten are your money makers and you don,t want to miss to many on your runs. If your younger brother wants to be successful then go the better route. No tell when Alaska might ban the leg hold and then many are stuck with out dated traps.

Beaver trapping and his wolverine trapping will require the same trap, a 330. An excellent trap for both. Another trap would be the #4 longspring, excellent for beaver as well as wolverine. nothing bigger is needed for both. When working heavy snow conditions the jump trap has proved far Superior coming up through the snow then a long spring. Been there and done it. Goes to show you certain traps perform better in different conditions. A coil spring would work better in snow as well.
Snares for beaver work excellent as well when set through the ice. 1/16 cable and a adams lock is all that is needed. Set close to the house on their runs, your chances are greater for a catch then putting out around the feed bed. But sometimes that"s what we have to do.

I doubt he will have yote up there. Wolf cable can be anywhere from 1/8 to 1/16th. Depending on kill spring and lock. Keep wolf snares at 10 feet and this will give you ample length to use the snare as a tie and allow for extra length to reach out to hang it. As far as leg hold the MB 750 has passed with flying colors here in Canada for a wolf trap. I used the Newhouse many years ago and needed a c clamp to set it. To much power.
But it was the king of wolf traps at that time.

Doc your brother should go in with an open mind and put all aside from the lower 48. Things are different up here. Hope this helps.

Author:  doc9013 [ 24 Aug 2016, 21:47 ]
Post subject:  Re: question for you northern trappers

Can't thank you enough Wolf. That should give him a good start on spending lots money for more traps. I just hope he enjoys solitude, cause there ain't no way in Hades his wife is going to the Yukon with him. :shock: :shock: :lol:

Author:  NonPCfed [ 28 Aug 2016, 19:42 ]
Post subject:  Re: question for you northern trappers

doc- In my opinion, a 120 bodygripper also would make an excellent "survival" trap if SHTF ever happens even if your bro isn't in the boreal woods. It will kill about any small to medium-small critter that sticks its head through it and they are fairly portable in a decent number. If I was out gathering meat, they would certainly be in my arsenal as well as some 110s. I hope nothing ever gets that crazy and your brother gets his chance to trap in the Far North!!

Author:  doc9013 [ 28 Aug 2016, 20:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: question for you northern trappers

NonPCfed wrote:
doc- In my opinion, a 120 bodygripper also would make an excellent "survival" trap if SHTF ever happens even if your bro isn't in the boreal woods. It will kill about any small to medium-small critter that sticks its head through it and they are fairly portable in a decent number. If I was out gathering meat, they would certainly be in my arsenal as well as some 110s. I hope nothing ever gets that crazy and your brother gets his chance to trap in the Far North!!


Can't agree more PC. Those 120's will catch rats, squirrels, mink, housecats, even caught largemouth bass in them. Great trap.
Almost forgot, they catch snappin turtles too. 8) 8)

Author:  wolf1199 [ 28 Aug 2016, 20:42 ]
Post subject:  Re: question for you northern trappers

doc9013 wrote:
Can't thank you enough Wolf. That should give him a good start on spending lots money for more traps. I just hope he enjoys solitude, cause there ain't no way in Hades his wife is going to the Yukon with him. :shock: :shock: :lol:


There are Eskimo women up there :D

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/