Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 12:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NAFA Auction
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 14:31 

The NAFA auction continues today starting at 3 PM. They broadcast it live if you want to see what the prices are like. Today is mostly coyote, beaver, muskrat, raccoon and lynx cat.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format ... oadcast%2F

Post subject: Re: NAFA Auction
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 15:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Started good with high $240.00. Now as the list gets further down the price is dropping. So far everything is selling. Good sign.
TT did you have any yotes in there.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 16:06 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Yeah I had 19. Top brought $140+ Can but last year woulda done $50 more. Sure glad I didn't skin any iffy's and either sold them to hutterites or the local guy as I at least got something for them. Also glad I didn't go hard on them. Half way through the sale Bobby came home with two he snared while we were gone skiing. Taking them to the Hutterites now.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 17:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sales dropped off for lesser quality. Now they are buying back. Not good indeed. Tomorrow is another day and we can see what happens.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 16:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Looking at the Nafa sale so far the ranch fur guys are going to lose thier shirts. Ranch mink have crashed in my opinion as well as ranch fox. Good for us but could have a great effect on wild fur. What's your take on the sale so far. Wild fur is what interest me but ranch fur sets the price. That is why I pay close attention to sales. It will be interesting as to what Nafa has to say for this sale. Poor in any standard but times are tuff.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 20:02 

Wolf I can only assume fur ranchers are somewhat like the cattle ranchers I know. Only difference would be they can reduce numbers easier and also increase in good times. I always kinda/sorta disliked them but can see why they do it. I'm thinking the way people live now has more to do with less fur being worn. A lot of folk never leave their house as they have electronics to do their shopping, entertainment, dating and dang near everything including sexual gratification. :shock: If there is ever a SHTF scenario I know I would sooner be with the group on WAT than any financial type forums I have visited. :wink:

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2016, 07:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trappintime- Mink ranchers may be a little quicker than cattle guys in restarting their breeding stock but maybe not as quick as you think. Mink aren't rodents that breed all year long so if a mink producer has pelted out his females already or will do it now after this auction and the lousy prices, then they would have to get pups (or whatever they're called) this spring or wait until next year and then the young female would give birth until the following year. So probably at least an 18-month or even 2 year lag between pelting out to producing fur for sale again. Not like even raising pork. Time will tell.

P.S. tt- did you ever get a little padded envelope from me in the mail??

wolf- I guess the larger picture is why does the global overall fur market appear to have crashed?? Is it because the people in the major fur wearing countries such as Russia, China, Korea, and some of the other eastern Europe countries just don't have excess money to spend and so retail sales are flat lined or is it the U.S. dollar is so strong that finished graments are more expensive now (probably these two are linked) or is it some other reason or a combo of all the reasons? Until (and ever) the Western Europe and North American markets return to using more fur, we are tied to what's happening in a few larger outside countries. And if their economies tank, so will fur prices.

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2016, 18:55 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have not been in the fur game all that long, but from what I have read and researched, the fur market has always had big swings in both directions. What sets this down market apart is the fact that fur is still very much in fashion. I think that's the important part to remember. China has still not recovered from the crackdown on taxing the imported goods. And Russia can't even feed their people at this point. Once they return I think prices will rebound, just a matter of when.
Oil prices have always affected commodity prices both ways. IMO fur is a commodity.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2016, 19:50 

Exactly right WCS. I started trapping as a teenager during that time known as the "fur boom" in 1979-80 season. Back then, it was even tough to catch a coon because so many people were trapping back then. I saw the market tank in 1987 very much like this year. I was able to expand my trapline in the following years because you could pick up used traps cheap because no one was interested anymore due to the prices plus they couldn't find willing buyers for traps. I picked up a dozen 1.75 Northwoods traps for $8.00 at a garage sale one year. The thing that stinks is that I don't have any of those traps anymore. a couple were stolen, I gave a half dozen to friend of mine who started trapping and a couple of others were misplaced and have no idea where they are at.

Sorry about my rambling....Anyway, I stuck with it and watched the market slowly improve with little spikes here and there. I remember in 1997 there was a spike in coon prices. I was all over that and averaged $16.00 a coon at a local trapping auction only to see averages drop in 1998 to $8.00 each. I think someone would be real lucky to average $8,00 a coon this year... :roll:

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2016, 20:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yes indeed with many of your comments. Fur swings at times are huge. Can break you or make you little bit rich like a few years back. Only the true trappers stay with it year after year. Like myself have endured many a poor price, then some really good years. For us up here the blessing is the American dollar at times. Since all fur bought at auction is in US dollars that can be a plus for us. The years that the Canadian dollar was worth more we lost money.

Last year was .25 per dollar exchange and this year .35. Last year my beaver average was short of $25.00 with exchange and this year $28.50 and my sons at $32.00. So we have an edge as to more money thanks to your US buck.

Marten sale was decent as expected with some buy back from Nafa but with the exchange I think things will be very nice. The big factor is clearance.

As in past with many fur buyers as what is happening now with low prices, the buyer will buy cheap fur and put in cold storage and then sell later on when prices become better. again flooding the market with fur. Its a big circle that keeps going round and round. A stronger economy for our major fur buyers will also help.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 16:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

What a mess

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 19:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep, it sure was. I took my one kid to school right before the beavs went up and get back 20 minutes later and the coons are wrapping up. I heard they sold just 1 eastern north-central lot. I did manage to chip 2 more coon off of my little pile this morning, sort of surprised what they went for, 1 for $20 and 1 for $15. Add those two to the 2 that were sold during the "big" coon sale old Herman announced NAFA did in mid-Jan for a $15.25 average across the 4.

Now its sort of like me playing my occasional state lottery scratch ticket and finding out that I won one (little one that is)... :shock: :roll:

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2016, 20:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Just checked my Fha account and my sons. They sold a bunch more beaver. I have only 2 left and my son has 3 left. Average for me now is $27.60 and my son dropped to $29.50. His Nafa account showed only 3 beaver selling Thursday and when I did the grade comparison between the two, large heavy beaver dark $14.00 at Nafa and $28.00 at Fha. Big difference. So what I'm seeing is that Fha seems to do better at sale with water animals then long fur. I'm glad now that I am playing both auction houses for certain species. Trappers are cheap and every nickel that I can make in my favour is worth if.
Everyone has to remember these 2 sales from both auction houses were not the big ones. So there is still hope.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2016, 17:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp did you have any furs sell in the NAFA auction?

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 18:22 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wannab wrote:
Swamp did you have any furs sell in the NAFA auction?

I have some stuff up there and see a coon went for $5.50. I think maybe I'll start looking around for a new ATV just in case the rest of the stuff sells. :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016, 13:09 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Im not seeing much on coyotes, just wondering why,coyotes not sale this yr.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016, 16:20 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I just remembered to look at the NAFA reports for the lynx cat sale and see I had 5 hides sold. They ranged from $30 to $100. Still have a couple left up there.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016, 22:43 

Swamp Rat wrote:
I just remembered to look at the NAFA reports for the lynx cat sale and see I had 5 hides sold. They ranged from $30 to $100. Still have a couple left up there.

Cool :D

You got Lynx? :shock:

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2016, 07:33 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

trappintime wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

Cool :D

You got Lynx? :shock:

But of course we have lynx TT---at least the Canukes that run the fur business call our lowly bobcats "lynx cats". :roll:

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2016, 08:32 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS