Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Found an illegal trap
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2016, 17:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

So today while setting my coon/otter trap line I found an illegal trap. Its on private property but not posted. It is a connibear 220 and its on DRY LAND :evil: :evil: . I inspected the trap the best I could without disturbing it and I could not find a name tag. I am not the kind of guy to mess with someones stuff, so I left it there. I find these traps all the time.....a bunch of shady bums running around on private land after dark setting their untagged traps. My question is, what can I do about it? What am I supposed to do?

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2016, 18:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I would hang out and try and find out who they were....

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2016, 21:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Call the warden or the proper athorities. Let them deal with it.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2016, 13:39 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Richard Murray wrote:
Call the warden or the proper athorities. Let them deal with it.

Ditto.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2016, 18:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

well I guess I would want to know a little bit more before I called the law,around here calling the law is really going to screw up the situation...I would hate to think it was some young kid that didn't know any better that I called the law on..what if the land owner gave someone else permission and didn't tell you, I would talk to the land owner before making that call..I would just want a little more information ...if its a slob trapper /trespasser/poacher.. then by all means make the call

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2016, 21:01 
Trapper
Trapper

you are a trapper he is a poucher,you should of already called the com. thoes are the people who give us trappers a bad name. I do the right thing as wells as all other trappers, get him busted he doesn't deserve to be in the wood

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 04:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Chieftain wrote:
well I guess I would want to know a little bit more before I called the law,around here calling the law is really going to screw up the situation...I would hate to think it was some young kid that didn't know any better that I called the law on..what if the land owner gave someone else permission and didn't tell you, I would talk to the land owner before making that call..I would just want a little more information ...if its a slob trapper /trespasser/poacher.. then by all means make the call

I was thinking the same. I have a feeling that a kid got some traps for christmas, and he walked down to the river and set them up. I found another trap over the weekend with a rotten muskrat in it. It was a 220 way up on the bank. The trigger wires are not even bent right for a trail set and thats why I think its a young kid that dont know what they are doing. I left a note in a plastic bag at one of the traps telling him what he is doing is illegal and that he needs to remove the traps and if i find anymore i will call the game warden and landowner. That area is a known trouble spot, my friend had a trap stolen by a guy that lives up on the hill in the trailer park. He called the game warden and he did nothing which is not a surprise.

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 10:52 
Trapper
Trapper

you did the right thing by leaving the note, maybr he had no guidence wich is still no excuse. you might want to watch your traps now he noes your there he may be a thief to. Good luck to you

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 14:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Brought out the junk yard dog in me. :) gurrrr, snarl, foam at the mouth. !

Id be tempted to find some ratty stuffed animal and toss it in the trap.
that way they'd know they'd been discovered and would imagine that their future game fare would consist of something from Mattel rather than mother nature.

Better yet take a doll and cut it's head off, apply red paint to the neck, or other intimidating areas, and toss it in the trap.
Yep, that's what I'd do then if possible hang out and watch the fun. gurrrrr.

I use to have a piece of ply wood wired to my front grill of my truck with a baby doll wired to it... BABY ON BOARD of course.

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 14:55 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Musselshellgal wrote:
Brought out the junk yard dog in me. :) gurrrr, snarl, foam at the mouth. !

Id be tempted to find some ratty stuffed animal and toss it in the trap.
that way they'd know they'd been discovered and would imagine that their future game fare would consist of something from Mattel rather than mother nature.

Better yet take a doll and cut it's head off, apply red paint to the neck, or other intimidating areas, and toss it in the trap.
Yep, that's what I'd do then if possible hang out and watch the fun. gurrrrr.

I use to have a piece of ply wood wired to my front grill of my truck with a baby doll wired to it... BABY ON BOARD of course.

Remind me never to mess with you MSG !! :shock: 8) :lol: :lol:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 18:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

in the heat of the moment,,i can get heat..gave a colleage kid a trapper baptism, now that iam older I could have handled that better ,older I get the more imfo I want to know before I jump..sometimes when I was a lot younger my emotions ruled my life.nothing wrong getting pissed off.but now I want to know why :wink:

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 19:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ha ha ha explain "trapper baptism"

8 Raccoons

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 20:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I live close to a collage town.some of them collage kids were peta and the like ,I came into the boat ramp ,one jumped on board my boat and (Hey, I am talking about a female canine here) at me about that I was a killer and abused animals .well he got his head stuck under the water beside by boat for 30 seconds or so ..then the game warden showed up..i could have handled it better .game warden thought it was funny.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 23:26 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Chieftain wrote:
I live close to a collage town.some of them collage kids were peta and the like ,I came into the boat ramp ,one jumped on board my boat and (Hey, I am talking about a female canine here) at me about that I was a killer and abused animals .well he got his head stuck under the water beside by boat for 30 seconds or so ..then the game warden showed up..i could have handled it better .game warden thought it was funny.

:lol: :lol: 8) 8)

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.