Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 21:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 21:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I ask about every spring i know but we've got one that has avoided 330's, baited and blind sets, snares, castor, peeled twigs(not a good bait now i know). CO says shoot him but its almost a personal challenge now. Pond is about 14 acres. Drains a big cropfield and drains into a medium creek that flows into a bigger creek about 2miles away. Nephew caught a 35lb female and 2smalls about 18 lbs each from there. Farmer says hes gotta go too. Ive tried blind set footholds, castor mound, mounds with out castor. Cant set dry sets. Any ideas besides burnin powder? Upper end is shallow and he lives in a medium size hut. We found 2 runs out of it, he knocked snares down, 330's have set idle since nephew got a small one in one,20 days? Farmers seen him. Fresh cutting around the pond. Trail over the dam to the creek has a 330 and a snare in the water. Creek has a 330 barricade set on both aides of the T where the pond over flow joins it. On the edge of a subdivision.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 22:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Back, does all the problem sets have blocking on or around them?

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 22:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You got yourself a good predicament. From what your saying you have open water. The beaver house you say you found two runs, have you set them up with 330's?. I have been in the same episode as you are now. When all else fails it's time to go and sit with Maggie. To much different sets and scents can also scare a wise beaver, I know that first hand. Sometimes I will pull everything for a week or so then go back after things calm down and check out the situation. See where they are going and have 330's under water and not visible.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 22:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

When all else fails, an accurate rifle or a shotgun will finish the issue. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. Getting the last one can be more than a challenge.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2015, 15:04 
Trapper
Trapper

Could always blow the dam up with a couple pounds of tannerite, and shoot him when he comes to look at what you did.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2015, 21:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak i really hadnt thought of that but we've had sets with a lot and some with none. The 330's in his 2 runs only have the stabilizing limbs. We've only got a few days left to the season but we set footholds in blind sets today. Im just bout to admit defeat lol. Wolf if we had a few more weeks of season your idea would probably work. As it is, Sunday we're taking a bunch of the kids fishing at that pond(weather permitting ). The .22 Hornet is coming along. Hes gotta go and id rather shoot him and salvage what i can then the farmer introduce him to his 12 gauge and he becomes turtle food. Seems every year we run into this more and more. First year with access to this pond. Guy that trapped it last year was supposed to get the otter and beaver out, he just skimmed the rats and coons. So to keep on the farmers good side..... Rem i agree, but im kinda stubborn. No dam Nebraska, just a lodge. There may be one up or downstream on the creek where we dont have access...??.. This pond is our best otter area too. Is it possible the beaver got educated by the dead otter in traps? All but two otter came from within about 4 miles of this pond.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2015, 20:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

try a foot hold on a drowner wire, make a mud pie but use 2 different castor lures on it.make him think 2 different beaver are moving in on his territory. usually gets their attention quick!

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2015, 13:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Tomorrow's the last check. I may try that next year. He seems(or she?) to have an aversion to castor but two different distinct castor odors may trick it? My babes and i are going to sit for awhile tomorrow and see if we can reduce him to possession. The landowner has seen it a few times in the last week. Its warm here now so he seems to be more active by the sign.