Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 05:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spring Beaver
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 13:02 

It's kind of hard to think about trapping for "spring" beaver with it dumping snow outside, temperatures in the low teens and the beaver ponds locked up with ice but I'm getting the itch.

I get really pumped up when walking through the woods to check beaver traps and the snow and ice is melting, water is rising, the sun feels warmer, the birds are starting to sing and it's daylight much longer.

Beaver are not worth much these days but if I was doing it for the money I might as well sell all my trapping stuff. After reading the auction results online and the various trapping magazines I get, this will definitely weed out the trappers from the guys who are in it for the money.

This is the pond I plan on trapping this year. it's close to a mile hike back in the woods.

I did see some fresh sign.

This was from last March.
The trail sign told me this would be the easiest way in....

Post subject: Re: Spring Beaver
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 15:35 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Enjoyed the pictures TR, be careful on that hard water! :shock:

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 19:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good looking area TR. Hope you wear your skinning knife out. Yeah i could flip burgers n make more money then our beaver line produces. We're mainly after the meat and castor(although winter castor isnt near as good as spring full castors). I think our top offer so far this year was around $4 S&D..?? Most of ours are gonna be tanned and crafted i do believe.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 20:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trapperrick wrote:
It's kind of hard to think about trapping for "spring" beaver with it dumping snow outside, temperatures in the low teens and the beaver ponds locked up with ice but I'm getting the itch.

I get really pumped up when walking through the woods to check beaver traps and the snow and ice is melting, water is rising, the sun feels warmer, the birds are starting to sing and it's daylight much longer.

Beaver are not worth much these days but if I was doing it for the money I might as well sell all my trapping stuff. After reading the auction results online and the various trapping magazines I get, this will definitely weed out the trappers from the guys who are in it for the money.

This is the pond I plan on trapping this year. it's close to a mile hike back in the woods.

I did see some fresh sign.

This was from last March.
The trail sign told me this would be the easiest way in....

TR were all in for the money, why else do we trap. Yes these prices will get rid of many. Then there are the die hards Nice pics of the beaver pond. Looks like our late April pics. I would be on that house right now taking those nice prime beaver.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 20:49 

Wolf, you are right, we do trap for the money for the most part. What little I caught this year still went off on the NAFA truck. The beaver in the picture is still sitting up in Toronto waiting to be sold since last May. There are many people out there that are reliant on wild furs for part, if not all of their living. That very short lived fur boom we had in 2013 made many of long liners like yourself and part time short liners like me really happy. I feel for those poor folks, trappers, hunters and buyers, who rely on fur for part or most of their income.

When I started trapping in Junior High School in 1979, I was 100% driven by money. My dad subscribed to a magazine that year called Fur-Fish-Game and started reading the trapping articles. Those articles intrigued me. Then I read the fur market report. :shock: You could make that much off of fur! That started my trapping career just like many of the newcomers we seen come in the past two years. By the time 1990 rolled around, fur prices looked very much like they do now if not worse. I found myself still trapping just because I loved it. I still took my fur to the local buyer and was able to squeeze a couple of bucks out of him. When I got married in 1995, my old trapping partner from my high school days showed up, I started talking about trapping and he looked at me and said, you still trap? Why?? It ain't worth it.

That pond I plan on trapping soon probably holds a few nice beaver and I'll thank the good Lord if I'm good enough (or lucky enough) to catch them. The way the beaver market looks, Even though it's only a 6 mile drive to the parking spot before the hike in I'll spend more in gas just going to check the traps than I'll probably make on them. So, is my endeavor financially driven? Not hardly. Is it worth it? For many people, no. To me, yes it is. :D

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2015, 14:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

For a couple beavers it may not be financially driven for you. Many frugal trappers out there wouldnt touch that scenerio with a ten foot pole. I personally would put a plan together that would make it worth the while whether it involved other animals or selling other body parts like castor, meat or skulls. I see that any money i allow my trapping to take away from my regular day job pay check, is food im taking from my wife and kids mouths. Im not letting that happen. But the truth is your trapping will be supported by one means or the other. In your case your regular day time job suffers that hit. For the majority of trappers in existance, the pelts support the trapping, and for those that apply themselves they can make money to boot. Nothing wrong with that at all. I think virtually every trapper wishes to catch more....why do you suppose thats the natural drive? Because someone applies themselves and sets long time plans in motion to make money on pelts is hardly a sin nor does it make them less because the money is the main driving factor. I agree that like a job that a person does not enjoy, if trapping and pelting isnt an enjoyed job it probably isnt going to last long for that person whether there is money in it or not. So the common ground i see here isnt the money factor but is a matter if that person was born to be a trapper.....without that, enjoyment isnt likely. Even a great paying job that a person dont care for ends up in a job shift eventually. Without money in trapping why else do it? Just for the killing sake? We dont eat many furbearers, so why else harvest the animals? Wouldnt that enjoyment of just killing the animals make us the monsters that PETA trys to make us out to be? I never could just enjoy killing animals for no known reason other then enjoyment. There has to be a reason to harvest other then that for me....money is and always has been the reason to harvest fur. If we choose not to take advantage of that opportunity its our own fault for not making ends meet.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2015, 19:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

x2 x3 and even 4. Well put Amak. Been doing this for over 40 years. That has to say something. Money is the key factor and will always be. Some times you do great and other times you suffer, but we never give up. And that is a trapper who is committed to do his best in what he believes in no matter what the market forecast is. Like myself this year I did not go full out as there was no point in taking many animals with the uncertainty of the future fur outlook.. Made a respectable effort which our MNR has no problem with. There is always the bright horizon of next year.