Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 20:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red dog grey dog
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 23:20 
THE 'YOTE WHISPERER
THE 'YOTE WHISPERER

Nothing special but finally nabbed us a couple of yotes. Also figured out why we hadn't had much movement as well. Pack of the O so lovely ferals. Big ones too, easily German Shep size. Walking the lines one morning and came across the first yote, snared, all tangled up and good. Went up the hill some more and as soon as I came to the top there were these ferals going to town on a yote I had trapped in a #2. He hadn't been dead long (rig hadn't set in) and the dogs were just going to town on his genitals. Sort of stinks because I probably could have got a hold on this earlier but I take my lab pup with me all the time and he runs back and forth back and forth back and forth all the time which makes reading new 'dog' sign a wee hard. Worst part was the lil one wasn't there to see them.

snared female

male duke #2 4-coil

Picked up the youngin and checked the line the following day and of course nothing until we got to the last trap. Rounding the bend we hear growling and see a red tail flapping around I was like GOOD we got one of the ferals but little one points out there are more than one which I thought was odd so we got closer and closer until we see them. All the ferals right there trying to kill a coon in a foothold. Dummy lab charges in head first and they all scatter. Shot two of them while they ran up hill and got another in the (I'm an idiot, I just tried to cheat the profanity filter) while it dropped over a hill into some thick. Now maybe things will have some room to breathe here and get snapped >:)

Post subject: Re: Red dog grey dog
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 01:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Are you sure those are feral dogs or animals that belong to someone who moved to the country, so their dogs "would have a place to roam"? Have run into that attitude before. Either way, they all need to be put down. Only takes two to be a pack, and more is worse. You are lucky they didn't come after you or your dog. It has been known to happen.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 01:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Interesting catch there moon. Don't know exactly what you have. Almost looks like a red wolf with those long legs but you're probably right its more of the coy-dog. The scientists even struggle to say what a real or at least the modern red wolf is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wolf

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 02:07 
THE 'YOTE WHISPERER
THE 'YOTE WHISPERER

Yea they are ferals. We get a pack every 2-3 years here. Closest neighbor is about 1/2 mile away so it's not them plus I know their pups. People have a tendency to drop off animals they don't want on these old country roads quite a lot.

And yea NonPC, our yotes have a LOT of red wolf genetics. They've been interbred so much over the past decades here it's crazy (the narrow paws were a dead give-away for yote blood). Pretty neat though in evolution. Our landscape here in winter in so rustic red and light brown that the our yotes are pretty much invisible without movement and are quite a bit larger from central and western yotes. I remember trapping in MT and those poor dogs up there, yet fluffy and beautiful, weren't bigger than a very small huskey.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 14:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Those critters are a Scourge! We call'em coydogs, black phase and tan phase here. Use to have some fur value but our buyers dont wantem at all anymore. Tan up nicely though and make good rugs or cycle seat covers. We get rye feral packs also and you can tell what breed each is easily. They will attack anything that is in their vicinity. A lot of livestock predation here that is blamed on yotes is actually the feral packs or coydogs. Incidentally, our yotes seem to avoid coydogs or feral packs and when varmint calling its rare to see either one at the same stand.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2015, 14:02 

Nice catches moon! Who knows, maybe the reddish one came from red wolf lineage, Red Wolves still exist in North Carolina and the gray one might have interbred with a gray wolf somewhere. It certainly has wolf like features.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2015, 14:41 
Trapper
Trapper

Think coyotes breed with any canine, killed one some years ago that was brindle and had pit bull features about it.

Read once that some scientists think the red wolf is/was a cross between coyote and gray wolf.

Congratulations on the ferals. Any dog with out a collar is a feral on my ground, just don't report it.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2015, 16:12 

tjm wrote:
Think coyotes breed with any canine, killed one some years ago that was brindle and had pit bull features about it.

Read once that some scientists think the red wolf is/was a cross between coyote and gray wolf.

Congratulations on the ferals. Any dog with out a collar is a feral on my ground, just don't report it.

Come to think of it, the grey looking one does have the Husky dog type features. Trappers around here have been catching an abnormally high amount of black coyotes this season from pictures being sent in to various PA trapping posts. Good be house dog breeding as well.