Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:04

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baitcicles?
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 22:44 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey everyone. I butchered some scrawny roosters for some friends today, and was wondering about freezing them in 5 gallon buckets of water to set up bait stations and make the bait really last. How many chickens per bucket? I just removed the breasts of the chickens, so there is a fair bit of material left. I would then plan to snare and blind set the trails the yotes use, and also use a few modified dirt holes near by...

Is two chickens per bucket going to be enough? That would give me four buckets worth of bait.

Whatdya figure???

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Baitcicles?
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 21:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

if its cold where your at why bother with the water? cut them up and put them out!

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 00:01 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey coon crazy! My plan is to set out a bait station that will last enough time to make snaring/trail sets effective. If I make baitcicles, they will be hard to drag away, especially if I add ropes to tie 'em down.

Do you think two chickens per bucket is sufficient?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 01:04 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I see what you're trying to do Flattail. I would say 2 would be enough, you are mainly trying to give em a predator popcicle to work on. :lol:

I did this Martha stewart arrangement a few years ago so my brother could dump the bucket once it froze and shoot yotes as they came in. I have no idea if he shot any or not, but they sure worked on it pretty hard. Give it a try! I would think the water would take on the stink of dead chicken and it shouldn't melt where you're at! You may have a pretty long term bait station.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 01:10 
Trapper
Trapper

Wow, what a beautiful arrangement there! lol. Yeah, the water/ice is to add weight and make it last a bit longer. Some guys even throw a rope in there so that when it freezes they tie it off to a log or tree to make it even harder for the yotes to move it away too soon. I was thinking of putting it out on willow ringed sloughs. The willows should help with snare sets...

Next year I will be more prepared. More traps, more snares, more bait, and most importantly, a November start rather than January like this year... Thanks.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 03:44 
THE 'YOTE WHISPERER
THE 'YOTE WHISPERER

Being in such a cold area ever tried using a louder lure/bait like anything skunk based? I'll have to look it up but there was this loud yote lure years back that caught me more kitties than anything. UPS driver didn't like much but yielded decent spots. I'll post back when I figure it out. Was something like Dobbin's All Call i'm pretty sure. Don't limit yourself to one type of set for a critter. I swear, use a deer. sSet it's butt with some steel then hit every access path with cable.