PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 23:15 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Will yotes go for a loud fish bait?

Post subject: Re: yotes and fish?
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 23:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yes most certainly. I use a mackeral/salmon bait recipe that catches the big three plus coons. However, like most lures and baits, it has its time and place.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 06:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak. X2

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 21:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I don't know why, but every time I look at this thread title now, I think food....... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 21:58 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Amak-thats funny. Ever try coyote?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 22:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Naaa. I aint had the stomach for it. I did try red fox....didnt care for it. I totally love bobcat, beaver, and muskrats are ok too provided they are handled correctly. Ive ate coon many times and its edible but thats about all i can say for it. I actually like a good young fat and healthy possum better then coon, but i'll still eat it(coon). I just cant get past the taste of that red i tried and think yote might be worse. I know of people that claim its good.... I will have to be pretty hungry... :--?

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 11:32 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Thanx. I was wonderin bout it. Any good uses for the yote meat?

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 12:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Not as far as im concerned. The following is just because I see an opportunity to educate, and spread about a little truth. Not directed at you at all felix, i know you are privey to how things work. If you desire, the meat could always be used to enhance a plush garden.

Coyote meat may not be used a lot for human consumption but there is Lots of benifits for nature and the ecological circle of life though. I know we as humanity tend to link the harvesting of animals with food or meat usage. Thats the big difference between game animals and fur animals. With game naturally the biggest use is for food but furbearers and related the use and value is primarily in the fur. Its ok to use whatever portions of them we can, but the main use is the fur. We dont have to make excuses for that either. Virtually everything we use on this earth has a usable portion and a waste by product. Even our air breathing has an exchange. Most of the public dont think a thing of discarding deer bones, hide, fat, or guts.....or bones and skins ,heads and guts of fish. Can that stuff be used, yes, but its not practical for most people. Furbearers value is the fur....the rest is waste by product just like everything else on this earth. Think about the un usable portions of a tree that is taken for lumber. Its all around us. Thing is, on this earth nothing goes to waste. Waste is only relative to human thought , use, and vision. Everything is used up by something....even if its only bacteria. Those same bacteria, if they were to be exterpated, life as we know it would end. That makes them a crittical and vital part of our ecosystem. We live in a very dependant and delicate balance on this earth. Everything lives as a result of the use that is provided by some other inhabitant or element on this planet. I feel we should use the better part of whatever it is we take, but waste is unavoidable for every single human being. I like to eat some fur animals but its a bonus. Much like buck skin is a bonus to the meat of a deer. Accusations of us furharvesters of being wastful because of the non use of their meat, is a purely hypocritical one, and short sighted at best. I will watch while anyone wants to consume the meat of skunk, mink, badger or weasels. I think you will find that meat non palitable...eatable yes, palatable no.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 21:25 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Amak, I would whole heartedly lump fox into the edible but not palatable category! :lol: If a guy was plum starved to death he may be glad to have it but any sense of hunger below that, it may not be well received.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 22:19 
Trapper
Trapper

Coon is mighty good, muskrat good, beaver a bit tough, haven't had cat, skunk not bad (chicken fried) and I will eat a whole fox and a coyote before I sample possum again.
I suppose it has to do with how it's handled and prepared. Coon, for example, have a bunch of glands that need removing and take all the fat off that you can. Slow roast with celery, carrots and onions all of which get thrown out.
Dad used to boil possums to feed the dogs, but they would only eat it if he he boiled corn with it.
Possum, mink and skunk are the only wild life that survived the Depression in this area.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 22:31 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Amak- Thanx. Actually I'm gettin interested in subsistence living. Your insight was an education. You also have shown me that I'm not crazy and others believe as I do.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 18:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You can grind yote meat up for a "paste bait". Bury the carcasses about 2' in your garden. Theres a thread on campfire about other uses. I cooked a possum.. Once.. And did not sample it. I imagine any meat could be dried for jerky but for me id have to be very hungry to try some critters and thats saying something because i have been hungry and gained a lot of nutrition thru meats/critters other turn their noses up at. Love groundhog now! Skunk, possum, yote, fox, mink and asian carp still havent graced my plate. But few others havent. Felix theres a lot of hardcover formation and Internet info on your lifestyle interest. Foxfire books and old salt are some that you may find interesting. Several magazines out there too. American frontiersman, the new pioneer, Backwoodsman, backwoods home to name the better ones off the top of my head.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 19:12 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Thanx- funny, I get frontiersman and bwm. Will ck out those sites. God bless, happy trappy, and good day.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 14:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

" Skunk, possum, yote, fox, mink and asian carp haven't graced my plate."

Backwoodsmansback,

Personally haven't gotten hungry enough to try possum or any weasel, but have had skunk and fox. The fox meat, in a stew, was stringy, but not bad. Skunk was filling, but didn't go back for seconds. My brother tried yote and said it tasted like an old wet dog smelled. Other than the fleas, he rather like prairie dog. Beaver, coon, and muskrat are tasty to my thinking.

REM

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 15:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Is there any odor at all with cooked skunk? The meat doesnt look bad at all. Out of the furbearers we eat beaver more then the others. Im kinda picky about our 'rats. Many become bait when the waters warm. But, they do taste best. We usually only chase the beavers when the waters cold anyhow. Ive got a "beaver wing" recipe I'll post in game fare thats fast becoming a favorite of ours.