Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 00:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trail sets
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 11:08 
Trapper
Trapper

I need some ideas/help. Almost every property that I trap has an abundance of deer so I struggle with them all the time. When setting cable restraints in this great state of Pa. we have entanglement rule we have to follow so not alot of spots for snares. I would love to set some foot traps on the trails but exactly how can you set them and place logs/branches/rocks/ whatever to keep deer from stepping on them? I have several really good trails to cable fox on but as soon as I lasso one, the spots done until next year when the vegitation grows back. Even with setting cables its a crap shoot as to who will get there first, deer or targets. I can literally hang a dozen cables and have to reset at least 9 or 10 every day from the stinkin deer knocking them down. Oh, and hay/straw sets are definatly out for the same reason. In case you can't tell, I HATE DEER

Post subject: Re: trail sets
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 13:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

You mentioned fox....reds or greys? What are you targeting mostly?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 13:58 
Trapper
Trapper

I'm assuming your trapping in some timber if so try setting the trail up then just like with a snare use a jump stick leavea around 26 inches of room under it wouldn't go much more then that most fur bearers will go under and deer normally wont also maybe try to make a new small trail around a log and put a urine post on it deer could use the original trail normally as were a predator might go investigate the new smell on the off trail don't go off the main too far though and loop it back in so it still works as a travel route

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 14:46 
Trapper
Trapper

Amak wrote:
You mentioned fox....reds or greys? What are you targeting mostly?

REDS

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 14:50 
Trapper
Trapper

frost wrote:
I'm assuming your trapping in some timber if so try setting the trail up then just like with a snare use a jump stick leavea around 26 inches of room under it wouldn't go much more then that most fur bearers will go under and deer normally wont

I've thought about that and was going to try it. I know it shouldn't be anything real big but what would you think, maybe ball bat sized?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 15:10 
Trapper
Trapper

I like that second path idea. I have places where that already exists
Living in hills means there is always a low side and a high side of a trail and what has worked for me is set foot holds just off the trail on the uphill side and use no urine. Deer are thick here and any place I use urine near a trail there is a good chance of deer disturbing my trap.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 16:03 
Trapper
Trapper

Yea just a stick big enough they'll notice it no need to use anything huge

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 16:44 
Trapper
Trapper

Tjm as far as urine you can put a little on your boots and walk in the trail to get them to start into it ( use urine for the target animal) then at your set make a scat pile and off to the side put just 1 stick up about 15 inches high with a tuft of wool on it put your gland lure there no urine at your set wool gives eye appeal to help keep them on the trail gland and scat will cause a territory response at the set

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 18:43 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I fight deer in footholds too, and they suck! I use jump sticks, like mentioned before, and set them low as possible for the target animal, say 18" for cats, who don't mind getting crowded at all. Unfortunately I no little about fox habits, but I have been known to catch a yote in a crowded down cat set. I mention setting them as low as possible because at some point, deer will crawl under the jump stick instead of jumping it. I carry a roll of rebar tie wire (baling wire) to set up the jump sticks. It's cheap and there's a ton of tying up to be done in a roll. I use jump sticks from brushy saplings to 3 or 4" in diameter, as long as they are good enough not to crash down should a deer clip it as he goes over. Then I cut cedar or use buck brush to narrow the path down to where the critter I'm after will have to hit the pan. I use this same setup with snaring, often twisting my support wire to the jump stick.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.