Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 06:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 19:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yes lower number is better color. Most average "perfect" color coons are 2-3.

There is only one top lot per regional section. Its the highest selling lot. Typically the highest selling lot will have it all.

size/ leather and fur thickness and condition/ good color/ the regional division.

4X SEL 2-3 NTH. .....would be a typical top lot grading.

There may be several lots or "string" of lots within a grading and number of pelts in any lot is posted on the far right of the lotting catalog. Just because one lot in that string brings top dollar doesnt mean all of the related lots will even though they are the same grading on paper. Only the highest dollar lot of any string or grading with in a single region will get the award. That may include several strings if they are all the same highest bid. Only the one highest price wins.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 22:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, looks like I have to wait until tomorrow to see if they can give away my coon. I don't think it got a very good grading, it was a left over from last year, I don't even remember how it looked
LM I-II-II 2-5

I also checked and seen all my furs have arrived at nafa, just gotta wait till March to see if I'll get enough to cover expenses for them. $10 would pay my gas for the whole trapping season :roll:

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 22:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Pc to answer your question about 60% of the coons I send go nth the rest go NC..... And that's pretty usual.... Looks like the heavy yotes sold pretty good....Ave 66 Better than a kick in the head.... Hope tomorrow goes better than I'm expecting...

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 22:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Me too but I'm cringing a bit right now...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 08:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Fish- Did all or most of your yotes sell as semi-heavies or did you have a few heavies in there as well (or maybe most of them went heavies??)? I always thought most of eastern SD (at the least the se quadrant so you'd be right on the break to the ne quadrant in my mind) doggies get classed as semi-heavies. I got the first of my ditch salvaged yotes up on my adjustable wooden stretcher I bought this past fall. I think it looks pretty decent but off course I have no real clue. This stretcher sure makes the head look large. I think I'll be able to send 4 out of the 6 to auction, although one will need a lot of sewing. The first auction that they would be able to be offered would be the end of May/early June one. Hope decent yote prices hold through then...

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 14:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Anyone want to bid that they won't get to coon today with all this ranch mink still to wade through?? I hate trying to plan my day when these guys have the coon at or near the end of the day. Then again, if they push coon to first thing tomorrow, my stuff would probably be all done going through before I go to work (central time vs. eastern time of Toronto).

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 14:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Looks like they'll probably make it to the bobcats, but not the coons

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 17:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You are anxious for your coon prices...lol. Marten did poorly I see, they couldn't even sell the super selects . The boys out west did super on their yotes, many with $100.00 averages. But they get many heavies which is what is in demand. Time for TT to get back at it or the boys.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 17:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Gary Schroeder from F,F& G appears to be right. Lots and lots of western bcats bought back. I guess every fur has its economic/political cycle. Perhaps this is bobcats now...

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 17:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

here comes the coon give away

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 18:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

anyone sell any coons yet?

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 18:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Its always interesting that I think I'm following as closely as possible writing down what happens to my lots and then go back into the catalog and see differences. If what's on the catalog pages holds up (my selling summary on my account is all messed up--text over riding the summary), I sold 5 out of the 15 larger coon (I have 1 dink listed but it will never sell) for a $14 average. With what's happening today, I consider that good...

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 18:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've just got one dink in there that never sold in LAST February auction. Looks like this will be the 4th (?) auction he'll go through without being sold

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 18:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep, anything smaller than XL is going to be tanned and sold on ebay from now on. After today, XL might even go that way...

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 19:02 

Aahhh, the good old days of 2013........
http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 1-WF-E.pdf

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 19:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trapperrick wrote:
Aahhh, the good old days of 2013........
http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 1-WF-E.pdf

You mean the year when damaged coons sold for more than most did today?
My coon from 2013 brought $17 graded at4XL-3XL DGD 2-5 AVG

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 19:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

LHB- You just do it for fun, right :mrgreen: !!!

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 21:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hey Pc.... Most are semi but I did have some heavy..... Ya I think I'm one the break line for that and not far enough north or west to get the great color either oh well....coons were as expected but looks like I had a couple in the highest lot that sold so maybe I'll get a couple of top lots in the western northern group.... Only thing that made me smile a little bit... Oh well

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 22:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Less duck and pheasant nest egg masked bandit robbers any way a guy looks at it, eh, Fish??

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 08:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yes sir! Thin um all out.....! thats why I do it and got started into trapping.... If you hunt you better get out and trap the varmint to help keep the Eco- system in balance.....still no one here is thinks there a saint so getting paid for your efforts is the only way this works....I expected it but this sale still sucks....

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 12:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I sold another coon this morning private party for $15 so that gives me a 40% clearance for this sale (not counting the dink that has been up for sale in 4 auctions and will never sell in the foreseeable future).

I also had a couple of non-spectacular grinners from leftover stuff that are showing up as those 80...... numbers which I think are private party as well but there's no money value given for them. I suspect that they would only go for 25-50 cents (or less) given current conditions so maybe NAFA is just telling me that they have just given them away and they're out of my hair :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 21:41 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Times like these make a guy think what the impacts of a low fur market will do again? From a selfish stand point, it thins or completely eliminates the competition.....making there more animals to catch which I find good.... But in parts of the world that are getting tore up and farmed the birds and animals with less habitat need all they can get keeping predator numbers in check so they can reproduce..... I think that any bird hunter or deer hunter.... And future generations are the ones that will suffer if the fur market stays down or if the anti's ever win.... Hell I'm still convinced if corn prices sky rocket again and farmers will start and keep ripping things up and tilling everything...I'll prolly have to mount a pheasant now just so my grandkids can see what the pheasant looked like ha ha

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 13:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah, pheasants numbers may continue to decline over time but I don't think they'll ever go away (besides they're not even from the U.S. to start with). This country around here is 90% or more cropland and a lot less wetlands than up in your area and we still have birds although they're harder to hunt because of their less frequent occuarance and all the non-hunting rural residential parcels around here. Ducks may be harder to find in the future with the less grassland around although some species do well just in sloughs (as long as there is water). Current climate change modeling is showing wetter and warmer conditions in the eastern Dakotas (may already be seeing such wetter conditions in ne SD and e. ND for the past 20 years or so) through mid century but then a drying cycle. The best duck producing conditons may shift to the east where the precip levels are modeled to be higher but most of the prairie potholes in central IA and southern MN have been drained so the ducks would be in a bind by 2100. That's the best guesses anyway.

I suspect there has a been a good amount of grass plowed up in your area Fish over time you all have been farming. Doing a little study of land conversion in a selected township of your county might be a nice little research project, tracking changes from the early 70s through current. I could push it back further using aerial photography but they're more of a hassle to mosaic and geo-register and b&w imagery is harder to interpret than multi-spectral. Let me know if your interested in doing a township up there and I'll see what I can find...

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 18:59 

The eastern beaver is going off right now! My lot is coming up. Mine is lot number #118371.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 20:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I missed the sale, I had a basketball game, anyone want to fill me in? NAFA isn't updating their catalogs!

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)