Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 07:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 20:38 

Eastern XXL beaver did OK. After that it was all down hill. My beaver was bought back......

Looks like a lot less competition for us next season.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 21:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Heck Rick....I ain't seen hide nor hair of competition this year even. Im trapping mostly public ground and have had no inclination of another trapper since mid Dec when I started. Last year they were crawling all over us. For instance at one spot,we knew where the cats were traveling and though several folks tried to cut us off, they were all set about 20 yards or farther too far to the south. When we got the cat there, it was a relief! Same spot this year, was able to set closer to the truck and scored again but we never seen a soul or any sign of trappers. Been that way all season. I am loving that part of low fur prices for sure.....

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 21:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Anyone know how rats done? Beaver and rats are not showing as having been auctioned.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 22:01 

Amak wrote:
Anyone know how rats done? Beaver and rats are not showing as having been auctioned.

They didn't post yet but the auction went on through 8 PM eastern time. I believe they got through all of the beaver and muskrat this evening. I heard my lot get bought back while listening that's how I knew how it went. I heard the last few muskrat as well. Sounds like they did alright.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 19:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:

Eastern rats did ok, top 12.25. Once you got down to xl the prices dropped off. Central rats never sold, all bought back. The beaver sale was not good as well with many buy backs. Now I can gladly say that I made the right decision to send to FHA this year. After comparing my grades and prices from FHA to what Nafa sold at the same grades I came out on top with my beaver and fox. One beaver was $15.00 dollars higher at FHA. Otter I don't know as Nafa has not sold them so I have nothing to compare with. Now we wait for the next sale when fisher, marten and lynx are on the auction block.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 22:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Did you read NAFA's comments on the wild fur sale. It sounds like the Koreans are now having the Chinese buy the mrats to make pieces of their hats or whatever they like rats for first instead of doing it themselves. And of course the Chinese have to make a profit. Those guys are always figuring/working an angle. All smiles while the numbers in their heads are a spinning...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 22:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I ended up selling 2 coon pp so had a 45% clearance on the 15 non-dink skins I had in the game. Don't know yet if the 7 that sold were out of the 10 fresh I sent in Dec. or a mix of those with the other 6 from earlier in the year (had 4 shipped in April that would have been offered the first time in this sale). My ave. was $14.00 compared to $16.87 for the 20 I sold in the 3 auctions last year. Given the circumstances, I'm ok with those numbers. Just don't want them to go any lower. We'll find out in a couple of months...

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 22:52 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

That's not a horrible drop NPC, but I agree, let's not see it go any lower.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2015, 06:37 

I was lucky to see my coons move at the September sale. I only averaged $7.00 on them at the time. I didn't catch any this year surprisingly. I didn't target them this year but usually catch one in a canine trap. But not this year thank goodness. I did send a red fox to the auction. It is listed at NAFA but didn't get a lotting letter for it so I guess it will be in the April sale along with the unsold beaver.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 22:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Anyone read the "NAFA auction" thread over on Trapperman?? I don't know why I'm into self abuse but I've read all 52 pages of it.

All I can say do any of you remember Apocalypse Now when Capt. Willard (Martin Sheen) kills Col. Kurtz (Marlon Brando) and Kurtz's softly says "the horror, the horror" with his final breaths?? Well reading the Trapperman post about the NAFA sale, it can be said "the drama, the drama" as my head explodes :--o!!

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 23:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ha ha them boys get a little out of hand over there....hard to not shake your head! Alot of guys who claim to have trapped for many years acting like they haven't seen a volital fur market.... 53 pages of (Hey, I am talking about a female canine here) and still going....ha

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2015, 00:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah, I wonder what that thread was like 2 years ago after the Feb. 2013 sale?? Probably some of the same bickering only this time NAFA ruled and "Groeny's" walked... :shock:

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2015, 05:13 

Man, I'm glad I don't get involved on the T-Man site. That's all I hear is drama, bickering and animosity on that site. Now, over on another site that I do belong to called hunting PA, the trappers section, barely says a word about what or wasn't was sold. I noticed a majority of those guys either sell locally or at the PA Trappers Association auctions they sponsor across the state. Speaking of which, my PTA district 5 has an auction this coming Sunday. I may just be curious enough to check it out just to see how many buyers show up and what the fur averages are.