Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 01:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 05:13 

This snuck up on me. The auction is next week already. I only have 1 beaver from last March in this one.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 12:43 

Are they not doing the Feb. sale??

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 15:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

tAl-

NAFA modified their schedule this year for a couple of reasons. One, Chinese new years is late this year (mid-feb.?) and its basically their Christmas so not much foreign travel for them. Another was to coordinate more with a European auction (?). So next week's auction is not the biggest one they're planning and probably won't offer everything they have. The end of March through early April will be their largest sale with furs from the entire CONUS (the southern half of the USA didn't have a fur pick up in Dec.). Then they plan to have an end of June sale and an early Sept. if needed.

I have a few furs from 3 different shipments (left overs from the 2014 auctions, a small load that was sent last April but never offered in 2014, and the 10 coon I sent up mid Dec.). I'm waiting my lotting letter to see what all of mine is offered this sale...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 22:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'm highly disappointed at my lotting letter this evening. Nothing showing up except my leftovers from the Sept. sale (2 coon, 2 grinners). The things that I sent last April and then the 10 coons sent mid-Dec. aren't going to be offered unless they revise the lotting letter. So it looks like another 2 month wait. I was going to listen to the coon auction next week but now I think I'll pass. What a bummer :(

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 22:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ya I don't know what's going on there all they have up is the stuff that didn't sell.... None of the stuff I sent from the spring... Strange hopefully the sell it one of these days ha

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 00:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Maybe they're behind and will have revised lotting letters by show time as they work through tickets. Why hype 80,000 new coon hides if you're not going to list any???

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 05:32 

I didn't get my lotting letter yet. They say it will be posted the morning of January 23rd. (today) Did you notice they changed the look of the account site?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 16:22 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yeah new page has one stop shopping. My grades did not change, although they did not offer my III yote from last year. Lol. I should have tanned him for my wall.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 17:24 

Got my lotting letter for my one beaver. I plan on retiring after receiving a check from this one.... :lol:

BEAVER

LOT SIZE |GRADE |COLOR |CLR|

118371 XL DG1 GD 1
BEAVER Total Qty 1

I was worried when I saw the grade DG1, I thought maybe this meant damaged, turns out D = Prime. G = Eastern US. 1 = Good to Average quality.
Fur is of less density than SELECT,
also fully covered.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 17:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, I might be listening to the auction again because they just posted all the coon that I had up there :) Nice to see those selects and stars :D although most of my big skins are I-II (that will hurt some)...

RACCOON
LOT SIZE |GRADE |COLOR |CLR| QTY
116966 XXL *I 5 NTH, 1
116971 XXL SDA 4 NTH, 1
116985 XL *SEL 2-3 NTH, 1
117006 LGE *SEL 4-5 NTH, 1
117043 4XL-3XL SDA 5 NC, 1
117055 4XL-3XL I-II 2-3 NC, 2
117056 4XL-3XL I-II 2-3 NC, 1
117057 4XL-3XL I-II 2-3 NC, 1
117059 4XL-3XL I-II 4 NC, 1
117068 XXL *SEL 2-3 NC, 1
117076 XXL *I 2-3 NC, 1
117079 XXL *I 5 NC, 1
117115 XL *SEL 4 NC, 1
117122 XL SDA 2-3 NC, 1
117668 LM I-II-II 2-5 1
RACCOON Total Qty 16

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 14:24 
Trapper
Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Well, I might be listening to the auction again because they just posted all the coon that I had up there :) Nice to see those selects and stars :D although most of my big skins are I-II (that will hurt some)...

RACCOON
LOT SIZE |GRADE |COLOR |CLR| QTY
116966 XXL *I 5 NTH, 1
116971 XXL SDA 4 NTH, 1
116985 XL *SEL 2-3 NTH, 1
117006 LGE *SEL 4-5 NTH, 1
117043 4XL-3XL SDA 5 NC, 1
117055 4XL-3XL I-II 2-3 NC, 2
117056 4XL-3XL I-II 2-3 NC, 1
117057 4XL-3XL I-II 2-3 NC, 1
117059 4XL-3XL I-II 4 NC, 1
117068 XXL *SEL 2-3 NC, 1
117076 XXL *I 2-3 NC, 1
117079 XXL *I 5 NC, 1
117115 XL *SEL 4 NC, 1
117122 XL SDA 2-3 NC, 1
117668 LM I-II-II 2-5 1
RACCOON Total Qty 16

Nice job NPCF! Looks like you have a couple of good chances for a Top Lot Award. Good luck, hope things go your way!!!

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 19:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks for the encouragement Browning but no top lots for me. My first Western-Northern is down about 45 lots and my first Western North Central is down 22 lots. Maybe someday. Now, Fish, he's a South Dakota top lotter :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 11:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

When are they giving away the coons?

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 11:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

What's the revised giving away schedule?

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 12:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NEVERMIND-Got it on the ol website. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 13:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

NonPCfed wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement Browning but no top lots for me. My first Western-Northern is down about 45 lots and my first Western North Central is down 22 lots. Maybe someday. Now, Fish, he's a South Dakota top lotter :mrgreen:

You dont always have to have the first string to get top lots. But there are almost always certain things that will always be presant in the lotting to stand any real chance. For coon, they will first need size. So a 4X or 5X will always have to be present. Next it will likely have to be SEL grade but there is a small chance a 1 might get the better bid. SS (super sel) are always a bonus! Next, the color will almost never be below a 2-3, but might need to be 2, 1-2, or 1 to win it. The latter three are somewhat rare. Its a tough go in those regions listed, but you have a very good shot in the future in a less heavy furred region like Eastern North Central, or Western Semi Heavys. The reality is, out of our average of 100 coons (+\-) in a good year of hard trapping, 4 coons make top lots in 2 auctions. Western semi heavy and central regions always click em for us. We have been mighty close on NC top lot before but none to date as of yet, and our coons have NEVER made Western Northern. So you can be very proud you at least make that coveted region. :wink:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 13:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hey guys, NAFA shows that they received all of my furs, but I still have no lotting letters. What do I need to do?

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 13:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Lol! :shock: Nothing..... :--? lotting letters are only up for the auction next week. If you didnt make the last recieving date back in December, your pelts arent in this auction they will be in the next auction wich is feb or march i cant remember. Lotting letters wont ever come out until a few days before the auction your pelts will be in. It will always be that way.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 13:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Well crap. I took mine to the first pick up date for my area so I just assumed it was the pickup for the January auction... That sucks...

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 14:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak- I don't think I have much to do with some of mine making it to W. Northern. Its just in the cards of where I live. I'm curious if Fish or Westside get more W. Northerns as they are further north (Fish not as much) than me. My colors tend to lower grade as well. I think that's probably just the genetics of my area. I have yet to score a 5X coon although a few this year are true 4X. The one Stinkbait shot on the way into work last Sat. tacked a full 36 inches...

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 19:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

R...4X is a dang nice coon. Most of our big one's are that. Once every blue moon though, a 5X has come our way. I think them are more common as you go North. What boggles my mind is when I realized there is a 6X slot in some of the regions. Our 5X coons were monsterous.....I cannot fathom what that 6X would look like.

You are right about being stuck regionally...... Hey, :idea: if you just wanted a certificate, take one of them better colored 3X-4X coons, then pull them down on the board and stretch the piz out of him and tack him tight. That will thin him out and get him into an Eastern or western semi heavy and likely a top lot! :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 21:39 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Amak wrote:
R...4X is a dang nice coon. Most of our big one's are that. Once every blue moon though, a 5X has come our way. I think them are more common as you go North. What boggles my mind is when I realized there is a 6X slot in some of the regions. Our 5X coons were monsterous.....I cannot fathom what that 6X would look like.

You are right about being stuck regionally...... Hey, :idea: if you just wanted a certificate, take one of them better colored 3X-4X coons, then pull them down on the board and stretch the piz out of him and tack him tight. That will thin him out and get him into an Eastern or western semi heavy and likely a top lot! :lol:

:--o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 15:54 
Trapper
Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Amak- I don't think I have much to do with some of mine making it to W. Northern. Its just in the cards of where I live. I'm curious if Fish or Westside get more W. Northerns as they are further north (Fish not as much) than me. My colors tend to lower grade as well. I think that's probably just the genetics of my area. I have yet to score a 5X coon although a few this year are true 4X. The one Stinkbait shot on the way into work last Sat. tacked a full 36 inches...

At last years February auction all of my raccoons were graded at NTH.......i'm assuming that means Northern???
Raccoon 2014
Size Grade Clarity Section
5XL I-II 2-3 NTH
4XL *SEL 5 NTH
XXL II 4-5 NTH

What are the best color clarites???? Is 2 better or is 5 better?

Muskrats -
Mink -
Otter -
Bobcats -
Fisher -
Beaver -

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 17:09 
Trapper
Trapper

Amak wrote:
NonPCfed wrote:

You dont always have to have the first string to get top lots. But there are almost always certain things that will always be presant in the lotting to stand any real chance. For coon, they will first need size. So a 4X or 5X will always have to be present. Next it will likely have to be SEL grade but there is a small chance a 1 might get the better bid. SS (super sel) are always a bonus! Next, the color will almost never be below a 2-3, but might need to be 2, 1-2, or 1 to win it. The latter three are somewhat rare. Its a tough go in those regions listed, but you have a very good shot in the future in a less heavy furred region like Eastern North Central, or Western Semi Heavys. The reality is, out of our average of 100 coons (+\-) in a good year of hard trapping, 4 coons make top lots in 2 auctions. Western semi heavy and central regions always click em for us. We have been mighty close on NC top lot before but none to date as of yet, and our coons have NEVER made Western Northern. So you can be very proud you at least make that coveted region. :wink:

Don't they give TLA for Section and size within the section?

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 17:10 
Trapper
Trapper

Westside wrote:
NonPCfed wrote:

At last years February auction all of my raccoons were graded at NTH.......i'm assuming that means Northern???
Raccoon 2014
Size Grade Clarity Section
5XL I-II 2-3 NTH
4XL *SEL 5 NTH
XXL II 4-5 NTH

What are the best color clarites???? Is 2 better or is 5 better?

I believe the lower the number the better the clarity.