Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 17:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fur handling issue
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 00:44 
Trapper
Trapper

Today I caught a very nice skunk on my line and took it to Richards house to show him.
The critter had stripes 4 inches wide at least and the hair on its tail was wild and around 7 or 8 inches long. After talking to Richard I planned to have the skunk mounted after cleaning it in the usual peroxide bath no brushing or skinning we noticed all the tail hair on the tail was breaking off not slipping but the main body fur was good and tight I shot this skunk 4 hours before this happened and had handled it before the peroxide bath no problems has anybody else had this problem I'll post pictures when I can

Post subject: Re: Fur handling issue
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 01:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 14:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wow, that is a seriously striped pepe!! Nice choice for a mount. Is all the hair off of the tail or just that it's shedding alot?? I've never had an issue with H2O2 causing hair to come off. Did you flesh it before washing?? Sometimes a guy can cut the bottom of the hair shaft off when fleshing. Don't know, hopefully you can still get a nice mount out of it!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 16:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Wow, that is a seriously striped pepe!! Nice choice for a mount. Is all the hair off of the tail or just that it's shedding alot?? I've never had an issue with H2O2 causing hair to come off. Did you flesh it before washing?? Sometimes a guy can cut the bottom of the hair shaft off when fleshing. Don't know, hopefully you can still get a nice mount out of it!

No, this all happened while in the round. It's only the tail and the hair is not shedding, it is breaking off and leaving about an 1" or so stubble. Just a light shake of the tail and it snows hair, to bad to mount. The rest of the skunk, no issues at all. :?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 18:18 
Trapper
Trapper

Unfortunately its ruined for mounting and like richard said hadn't even skinned it yet

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 19:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ive seen skunks with brittle tail hair before....but the ones ive delt with only broke if brushed. I dont think there is much value in the tail of skunk. Id just do him up for sale. Its not to uncommon to get a good white skunk like that. We generally end up with one now and again. Them are the higher dollar skunks, so unless you just really needed the mount, up your check amount and send them to auction. I target them anytime I see one out and about thats white like that....good money for skunks. Got as much as $14 for them.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 22:37 
Trapper
Trapper

Yea it was just a bummer to plan on mounting it then see its kinda go to crap and it will be added to a fur check for sure
I'm just more interested in wat I may have done incorrectly so I don't repeat it again

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 01:43 
Trapper
Trapper

I think the only thing you did was handling the tail, like Amak, I've had some that were quite brittle, perhaps older skunks; as I recall the brittle ones had longer hair. Or may have to do with time of year they have been in the den hungry for a while.
I don't see but about one skunk in five or six years, not even road kill. Don't know where they went.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 08:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Brandon, I skinned the skunk and in freezer for you. Ready for fleshing and boarding whenever you come back over and pick him up or you can do it here. :wink: :D

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 16:19 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Tail hair on adult skunks is coarse and brittle. I think it's from dragging on the ground all the time. If you see them out they are always dragging the tails. Like Amak said I can't imagine them using the tail hair for much. It reminds me of a horses tail :D

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 18:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I do believe if I caught a skunk as whit as that it would go on my wall that is cool

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2