Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 14:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coyote help.
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 23:13 
Trapper
Trapper

So I had set two traps in my small sheep pasture more than 2 weeks ago, after coyotes took down and ate a lamb. Since then, there has been absolutely no return visit. Not even a sniff. I would have thought they would have returned by now after having an easy feed like they did?

Question is, should I remove the traps from the area and use them elsewhere? It seems like a waste, but yet I imagine if I move them, that night the yotes will return...

Post subject: Re: Coyote help.
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 04:59 
Trapper
Trapper

You have to be there every day anyhow to tend the sheep, so it's no effort to check them.
I have had a trap connect 6-7 weeks later. I never was closer to it than fifty yards during that time, just looked at it as I went about my daily routine.
Normally though two weeks is about my limit for checking a nonproductive set, some times one week.
Your call.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 14:05 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks! You are right about the effort to check them. I was just going to move them to a different area where I have seen more sign.

And guess what? Two came back last night, entered the pasture, and ate the chicken wing I was using as a visual attraction near my set. Unfortunately, it had been windy, and my set had blown in. I had not re-baited it for 10 days, and with all the snow over the bait, it seems they did not notice it. Remade the sets, hope they come back sooner.

Dang things.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 00:04 
THE 'YOTE WHISPERER
THE 'YOTE WHISPERER

What bait/lure do you use if any? Lures are good but IMO I have had better catches with local food sources as bait. Deer carcass here and there with a trap near the hind quarters and snares around has yielded more fur than any lures combined. Natural backing as well. That is if you're working in the hills. Near water I use beaver or fish. Also pick up roadkill tree rats and stuff em in a glass jar in a dark place for a bit until black, tarry and rotten. In my experience cats love fresh meat and yotes like 2 week+ hair falling off nastness. Would also be nice to see your sets. Sometimes folks like to "crowd the plate" as I call it and put too much junk around their set. Yotes are skittish and easily spooked so less is better with them.

Check those fence rows too man, fences are a godsend to trappers.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 00:52 
Trapper
Trapper

moonsal83 wrote:
What bait/lure do you use if any? Lures are good but IMO I have had better catches with local food sources as bait. Deer carcass here and there with a trap near the hind quarters and snares around has yielded more fur than any lures combined. Natural backing as well. That is if you're working in the hills. Near water I use beaver or fish. Also pick up roadkill tree rats and stuff em in a glass jar in a dark place for a bit until black, tarry and rotten. In my experience cats love fresh meat and yotes like 2 week+ hair falling off nastness. Would also be nice to see your sets. Sometimes folks like to "crowd the plate" as I call it and put too much junk around their set. Yotes are skittish and easily spooked so less is better with them.

Check those fence rows too man, fences are a godsend to trappers.

I have been using some old time coyote bait by forsyth lures, along with red fox urine, chicken feathers and sheep's wool for visual effect. Deer are in short supply these parts. Too many hard winters.

My sets are pretty basic dirt/snow holes, and I use no "forcing" so to speak.

My main issue right now, is they have only been back to the sheep pen once since they killed and ate a lamb before New years, and with the deep snow, they just do not seem to move much these days.

Check out my baitcicle post. Maybe you have insight there? I need to concentrate them a bit more..

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 03:01 
THE 'YOTE WHISPERER
THE 'YOTE WHISPERER

Have you tried setting around were there last kill was and carcass? Once a critter kills and eats it WILL be back for seconds the following day and even thirds, fourths and so on until source is gone. Opportunistic feeders, weakness lies in their name :) And i'll shuffle on over to the cicle post as well.. Trappy Hrapping

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 21:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Had any luck on the sheep killers?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 23:40 
Trapper
Trapper

No. They never did return. I find that really strange. We have a lot of snow, trapping has been very tough because of this. I have no snowmobile, and so getting anywhere is impossible. I had planned putting out some bait and setting a snare line, but again, I have no way to get around. I have no time to walk a line on my snowshoes, and it is so tough to make disturbances in 3 or more feet of snow look natural.

Next year. Come November, I will hit them hard...

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 02:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Land trapping in deeper snow is an exercise in futiłity at times.