Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 11:36 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I've had the hardest time retrieving data from my crashed hard drive on top of a few other things that have prevented me from logging in! Rest easy folks I am back and with a quick questions for the pros. Particularly any pros in the south-east (I'm in Georgia)
So I've had my traps in the ground for 3 days. The second and third checks showed tracks in 3 of the 5 and my bait pulled from the hole.
Questions-
1. How much rain can a set take before needing to be re-done?
2. I'm currently doing dirt hole sets and I'm coming down 9 inches and over 2 inches. I've read that the eastern yotes are smaller and that a 7-2 ration would be better. What do you folks think?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 21:50 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Hello Hickorynut. Where are the tracks in relation to your pan?

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 08:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

hickorynut wrote:
I've had the hardest time retrieving data from my crashed hard drive on top of a few other things that have prevented me from logging in! Rest easy folks I am back and with a quick questions for the pros. Particularly any pros in the south-east (I'm in Georgia)
So I've had my traps in the ground for 3 days. The second and third checks showed tracks in 3 of the 5 and my bait pulled from the hole.
Questions-
2. I'm currently doing dirt hole sets and I'm coming down 9 inches and over 2 inches. I've read that the eastern yotes are smaller and that a 7-2 ration would be better. What do you folks think?

I have never trapped for the eastern dogs, but from what I have learned and read the eastern dogs are actually bigger than the smaller western dogs. My traps are always back at the least 12" and up to 24" if I have a problem dog. As far as off setting that is deceiving as far as I am concerned. If I am useing a dirt hole they are always centered up. I don't use a conventional dirt hole no more unless I set it up for a walk through. I want to guide the dog over my trap no matter what. Off setting a trap is a misconception, because it is rare they come straight in on a set. They always work at angles. So if a trap is centered and what ever angle they come in at the trap is automatically off set when centered. I will never set them up so they can work the back side to work my hole. Pics would be helpful to see what you are doing. Just remember dogs are rubber neckers.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 12:53 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Richard Murray wrote:
hickorynut wrote:
Questions-

I have never trapped for the eastern dogs, but from what I have learned and read the eastern dogs are actually bigger than the smaller western dogs. My traps are always back at the least 12" and up to 24" if I have a problem dog. As far as off setting that is deceiving as far as I am concerned. If I am useing a dirt hole they are always centered up. I don't use a conventional dirt hole no more unless I set it up for a walk through. I want to guide the dog over my trap no matter what. Off setting a trap is a misconception, because it is rare they come straight in on a set. They always work at angles. So if a trap is centered and what ever angle they come in at the trap is automatically off set when centered. I will never set them up so they can work the back side to work my hole. Pics would be helpful to see what you are doing. Just remember dogs are rubber neckers.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Due to trying to sell my truck I had to pull my traps (I only run 10) but it's looking like I will be back at it this weekend.

With that being said, the tracks were kind of random. I had tracks all over my sets but the trap never went off. One track in particular was directly centered above my pan...

I'm thinking the rain may have packed the dirt too much.

Last night I checked the pressure required to trip each track. My findings were concerning to me. The lowest amount of weight was 2.5 lbs and the most amount of weight was over 6 lbs!!! Granted, the 2.5lb trap was a newer trap and the 6.5 lb was an older trap from last year. It needs to by dipped. But other than waxing, what can I do to lower this required weight?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 21:40 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

To lower your pan tension, there should be a bolt and nut behind the pan that needs loosened on them hi weight pans. The 2.5 lb pans should be ok, but could be tightened slightly if you want to. Personally, I hate dipping traps, that crap just builds up. If nothing else, maybe you could just wax em to get by and worry about dying them later. Also, I use poly fill under the pan to keep the dirt/mud from keeping the pan from dropping when stepped on. You can get it at wally world or anywhere with a craft dept. Finally, for yotes, use small pebbles or dirt chunks around the pan to guide that foot right to the center of the pan. Yotes likes a nice clean spot to step down on and if your pan is the cleanest spot to step, you'll have him.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.